Noob's First Grow: Indoor, Coco, 4 Plants

My green thumb has some yellow spots! Just a cal/mg deficiency. :) Really appreciate all the help and encouragement that all you guys have provided.

Haven't heard from @Asesino85 for a bit. Hope that he will stop by when he has the chance- he was a big help at the outset too.

My green thumb has some yellow spots! Just a cal/mg deficiency. :) Really appreciate all the help and encouragement that all you guys have provided.

Haven't heard from @Asesino85 for a bit. Hope that he will stop by when he has the chance- he was a big help at the outset too.
I'm around! I just have been super busy lately and am behind on almost everyone's journals. I'll get caught back up soon!

Caught up on this journal and subbed up for the ride.
I've just started on my first grow myself, my 3 littles (all auto strains) have just broken the surface of the promix and are looking good (in my inexperienced opinion lol) you've got alot of great help here and things are growing up very nicely for you. Should get yourself a good harvest.
I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to try the quadline on this run or go with lst and wait till next grow to quad. I'll probably just decide when it comes time and see where they're at size/development wise.
Anyway enough rambling lol
Have a knife day
StaySharp

Caught up on this journal and subbed up for the ride.
I've just started on my first grow myself, my 3 littles (all auto strains) have just broken the surface of the promix and are looking good (in my inexperienced opinion lol) you've got alot of great help here and things are growing up very nicely for you. Should get yourself a good harvest.
I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to try the quadline on this run or go with lst and wait till next grow to quad. I'll probably just decide when it comes time and see where they're at size/development wise.
Anyway enough rambling lol
Have a knife day
StaySharp

Hi Knife,

Thanks for stopping by!

Yes, I am extremely lucky that I had lots of great, experienced growers stop by really early on, and right up until now. A ton of wisdom and experience on this site, and so many folks are very generous with their time. And patient!

I can't really speak to quadline versus LST, as this is my first grow, ever. However, I have been using the quadline approach, and really like it. Enough so that I will be repeating it again on future grows.

I am definitely no expert, but since you are doing autos... I noticed that my one auto needs a LOT less fertilizers than my three photo girls. Just a heads up for you, in case it is helpful.

Please stop by again when you have time, and chime in with any questions (I'll try to help, if I possibly can) or comments.

Good day!

Thanks Bard, I will definitely be around tonsoak up the residual knowledge that is being dropped over here. Feel free to check out my fledgling journal as well.
Have a knife day
StaySharp

Just started reading your journal, and it reminded me... I got caught short on time with the quadlining on my auto (since you are growing autos too, and were thinking about quadlining). It worked ok I guess, just would have liked a little more training time before the pistils started materializing. Just thought I would mention it, in case it was helpful... you only have so long before the autos decide that it is time to move on, regardless of where you are in the training process! :)

Just started reading your journal, and it reminded me... I got caught short on time with the quadlining on my auto (since you are growing autos too, and were thinking about quadlining). It worked ok I guess, just would have liked a little more training time before the pistils started materializing. Just thought I would mention it, in case it was helpful... you only have so long before the autos decide that it is time to move on, regardless of where you are in the training process! :)

From @Dutchman1990's thread he says to strip the bottom nodes and top etween 14-21 days so if they arent at a point where they're big enough or seem vigorous enough Ill just LST and save the Quadline for another grow. I do plan to use the quad method as it looks like it really creates a very nice structured plant and produces awsome yields.

From @Dutchman1990's thread he says to strip the bottom nodes and top etween 14-21 days so if they arent at a point where they're big enough or seem vigorous enough Ill just LST and save the Quadline for another grow. I do plan to use the quad method as it looks like it really creates a very nice structured plant and produces awsome yields.

Sounds like a great approach. A number of the "quad-squad" experts stop by here - really nice, helpful folks. @Dutchman1990's journal is awesome!!

With autos I usually just pull them apart some as they grow and thru stretch. To set it up for a quad you just don't have the time up front. If you have good growth early I would top it first after the fourth node and start to train the 3rd & 4th node and once things pick up skin the bottom 2. This will keep a few extra leaves to help make some food till you want it to localize toward the canopy.

That’s right! Day 14 is ideal but you can push it out to Day 21 before topping an auto. Typically autos they begin flowering around 30-35 days but all are different. The added stress of topping and node removal can trigger them to flower sooner.

Sounds like a great approach. A number of the "quad-squad" experts stop by here - really nice, helpful folks. @Dutchman1990's journal is awesome!!
Thanks @The Bard I really appreciate that!

With autos I usually just pull them apart some as they grow and thru stretch. To set it up for a quad you just don't have the time up front. If you have good growth early I would top it first after the fourth node and start to train the 3rd & 4th node and once things pick up skin the bottom 2. This will keep a few extra leaves to help make some food till you want it to localize toward the canopy.
This is an awesome point Derby and I completely agree! If the plants are strong and healthy they can probably handle a topping and the beginning of the quadline but I wouldn’t try it on a suffering or weaker plant!

Good afternoon, everyone - it is almost Happy Friday!!

Things continue to go well with my first grow. The three photoperiod plants are in DAY 62 of veg. Today they got their usual beauty treatment - spreading/tying branches, and some defoliation to let light into the centre, and help with air circulation at the base. I am really happy with these gals, especially the Trainwreck and the Green Crack - both are looking really healthy, with just a tiniest bit of burn on the tips, so I think I have the nutrient formula in good shape for them. The GSC is also doing well, but I fried her a couple of weeks ago (forgot to water-down her food - she likes it milder than the TW and GRC) and the yellow-edged leaves remind me of that mistake.

GSC:

Trainwreck:

Green Crack:

My one autoflowering plant, a Purple Kush continues to do ok. It is not the prettiest plant - kind of looks like a LongHorn bull! :) Her quadline training got interrupted, as I was too slow and she flipped into flowering on me. So the canopy isn't as even as I would have liked. I also learned the hard way that autos (at least this one) prefer their nutes much more diluted than the photos do. Poor girl has had some tough times. She is on DAY 24 of flower.

However, those four main branches are filling in nicely, and the secondary shoots in the center are forming up as well. I downloaded a new "macro" app for my phone, and snagged a close-up shot of the crystals that are forming on the sugar leaves, which appears at the end. Nice purple colour coming out too.

Next Steps:

For the three photos, I think the time has come to flip to 12/12. I will give them a few days to recover from today's trim, and then change the light timer over. Monday afternoon I think. I will also change up their nutrient formula. They are currently at 3:winkyface:3, and that will move to 1:blushsmile:1. EC will stay about the same. As soon as I see the first pistils on each one, that will start the "flowering clock."

The auto will keep on truckin' with her (very mild) nutrient formula. She is currently getting 2:winkyface:3, but will move to 1:winkyface:3 in the coming week.

All four girls get very heavy cal/mag at every feeding (about 0.45-0.50 EC). The number that I saw pretty frequently (0.30 EC) wasn't enough early on to prevent calcium deficiencies from showing up.

Comments/suggestions/questions all welcomed!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Looking good in the garden bard. That auto longhorn girl looks good just got to watch with timing up front to quad. I personally don't quad my autos. Just top and keep pulling her apart to keep good airflow and light thru it. If a branch takes off I'll super crop her to keep things even but that's only early on.
Keep up the great work as you will be rewarded soon.

Back
Top Bottom