Nordic Guerilla - 55° North Outdoor Auto Grow

Day 33 from seed

Just came home from another water run, the girls shared 15 L water(~4L to fill the SWICK) and 15 L with 1ml/L Bio-Grow.
The heat wave is still going and they've grown quite a bit the last 5 days:)
The Frisian Dew are growing some nice side branches and we did a little leaf tucking to help them along

Water run :surf:

WP_20160607_21_25_14_Pro.jpg

Sick Berry Bomb Auto, no idea what her problem is...

WP_20160607_21_27_17_Pro.jpg

Frisian Dew in SWICK, has 2 nice long side branches.

WP_20160607_21_28_04_Pro.jpg

Frisian Dew with 6 side shoots

WP_20160607_21_29_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20160607_21_30_05_Pro.jpg

:Namaste:

Day 37 from seed

Another trip to the spot, except for the Berry Bomb Auto the girls are growing fast and strong.
They were not dry from last watering so they were only given 1,5 L of pure pH'ed water each, then they should hopefully stay hydrated the next 4-5 days.

WP_20160611_22_19_44_Pro.jpg

It may have been an idea to leave them a bit longer to dry out. Drier soil means roots will grow faster in search for more water.

Where abouts are you? 55° north would mean you are up near my neck of the woods, well Scotland anyway. Giving them water and with the rain that is due may give you a slight over-watering problem. There was a good amount of rain here yesterday from around 6pm till around midnight. Had some small showers this morning as well. Good thing about the rain is that the ground will be fully saturated so no need to take any water out when i check them this week (breathes a sigh of relief at no having to lug 15L of water). Will take 1 x 5L and leave it there so when i next visit then i only got 2 x 5L bottles to take. Slug pellets will need re-applied.

Perhaps you should think of doing the same. If the soil is wet but you have taken water there then leave the water nearby in a safe place. Do that on subsequent visits too. Lugging 15L of water at a time will be pretty sore on the muscles and tiring so leaving excess bottles will be good in the event of the next heatwave.

It may have been an idea to leave them a bit longer to dry out. Drier soil means roots will grow faster in search for more water.

Where abouts are you? 55° north would mean you are up near my neck of the woods, well Scotland anyway. Giving them water and with the rain that is due may give you a slight over-watering problem. There was a good amount of rain here yesterday from around 6pm till around midnight. Had some small showers this morning as well. Good thing about the rain is that the ground will be fully saturated so no need to take any water out when i check them this week (breathes a sigh of relief at no having to lug 15L of water). Will take 1 x 5L and leave it there so when i next visit then i only got 2 x 5L bottles to take. Slug pellets will need re-applied.

Perhaps you should think of doing the same. If the soil is wet but you have taken water there then leave the water nearby in a safe place. Do that on subsequent visits too. Lugging 15L of water at a time will be pretty sore on the muscles and tiring so leaving excess bottles will be good in the event of the next heatwave.

The idea is to let them dry almost out between watering/feeding, but due to upcoming work we can't visit the next 4 days and if the heat wave continues they would dry out sooner, we did have a drizzle yesterday and the last 2 nights have been chilly.

Soon the plants will cover the buckets and very little rain will hit the soil.
We stash water at the spot and we're able to carry some 30L out there per run. We don't have a long walk, but it's a tricky walk through dense forest and the last 5-10m to the spot is crawling through brambles.

The SWICK system is working nicely, and I estimate it would last 7-10 days in the kind of heatwave we just had, where the buckets dry out in ~4 days.

I'm in Denmark, so we basically have the same weather as you a day or two later:)

I should have guessed denmark as your title has "nordic" in it, lol. 55° is a similar latitude to glasgow so the weather will be similar to ours and so will the long days till august. You have the problem of growing in pots/buckets so will need more watering. Mine are in the ground so any rain will stay in the ground with roots searching for water if it gets a bit dry. Hoping that the sun comes back as we no had any since friday.

Day 45 from seed

We went to the spot last night and the ladies has grown a lot, they seem to double in size every visit:)
They didn't need any water so now we have a decent cache of some 30 L on site now.
Given their size and our wish to have them finish in early august, we are going to introduce flower nutes next time they need water.

Unfortunately they have been attacked by a few spanish slugs that's been munching on some leaves and bud sites, so no more slacking off on the protection, beer can collars will be added to each plant asap.

Despite the slug attack the plants are nice and healthy, except for the one Berry Bomb Auto, I guess it's just one of those that are born disabled.

Group shot

WP_20160618_22_12_28_Pro.jpg

Different angle

WP_20160618_22_14_10_Pro.jpg

A Berry Bomb Auto with a purple promise;)

WP_20160618_22_10_18_Pro.jpg

Close up of either a Berry Bomb Auto with or a Night Queen Auto, forgot which:lot-o-toke:

WP_20160618_22_11_03_Pro.jpg

Slugs are a nightmare. Made a rookie mistake last year of not doing anything at the start to combat slugs. Have gone on an all-out-war on them this year. Slug pellets are doing the job and even after a week of rain there were still pellets lying around. It didnt do any harm to top them up though.

All is looking good for you.

Day 49 from seed

Last night we went to the spot to install the anti slug collars made from soda cans, hopefully it will keep the slugs off the ladies.
The pots were quite light so we watered and fed them their first flower nutes (Bio-Grow: 2 ml/L - Bio-Bloom: 1ml/L - Top-Max: 1 ml/L)

They're growing well and in the 4 days that has passed since last visit they have grown a lot and pistils are showing in the preflowers, a few mini trichomes have been spotted on some of the plants.

WP_20160622_22_04_15_Pro.jpg
WP_20160622_22_03_18_Pro.jpg
WP_20160622_22_02_22_Pro.jpg

Day 54 from seed

Just been to the spot tonight, and the ladies are still going strong, they've become more branchy so they have been moved a bit apart so they don't shade each other.

The anti slug collars seem to work, but it looks like something small is chewing holes in the leaves...

Pots were quite light, except for the Auto Frisian Dew in SWICK and the puny Berry Bomb Auto, the others shared 18L pH'ed water.

I'll let the pictures speak now.

Group Shot

WP_20160627_20_38_00_Pro.jpg

Berry Bomb Auto #1

WP_20160627_20_40_18_Pro.jpg

Berry Bomb Auto #2

WP_20160627_20_40_44_Pro.jpg

Berry Bomb Auto #3

WP_20160627_20_41_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20160627_20_41_52_Pro.jpg

Auto Frisian Dew #1

WP_20160627_20_42_22_Pro.jpg

Auto Frisian Dew #2

WP_20160627_20_44_26_Pro.jpg

Auto Frisian Dew #3

WP_20160627_20_45_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20160627_20_45_07_Pro.jpg

Auto Night Queen #1

WP_20160627_20_46_05_Pro.jpg

Auto Night Queen #2

WP_20160627_20_46_41_Pro.jpg

Think Different #1

WP_20160627_20_47_40_Pro.jpg

Think Different #2

WP_20160627_20_47_58_Pro.jpg

More elbow room;)

WP_20160627_20_49_52_Pro.jpg

Day 62 from seed

We went to the spot on monday and after a week the pots were still wet, we had 1 dry day the last 3 weeks and a lot of heavy rain...

Tonight we went out again and even though the buckets were heavier than last we gave them 1,5 L water with nutes since it's been a long time since they've been fed.

Our snail collars aren't working so well, so well get some poison or something soon.

Because of the wet weather we found mould in 2 buds. one in a side shoot on a Auto Frisian Dew and in the main cola of a Berry Bomb Auto(the 2 strains promising mould resistance:)), both were cut off... Hoping for a dry streak.

Despite the weather the girls are growing well and the flowers are coming along nicely, and if we manage to keep the slugs away and get some sunny weather we have potential for a lot of nice bud.

We defoliated the crap out of the other Berry Bomb Auto, so we can see if it helps the buds dry faster after rain and dew.

Group Shot

WP_20160706_22_14_30_Pro.jpg

Main cola cut off :(

WP_20160706_22_39_41_Pro.jpg

Before defoliation

WP_20160706_22_15_57_Pro.jpg

After defoliation, nice colours ;)

WP_20160706_22_41_02_Pro.jpg

It bad when rain messes things up. My plants are very slowly budding so no need to worry about mould just yet but will see tomorrow if the recent rain has affected them. Am gonna get a sheet of clear plastic and place over each site and cut some holes in. Obviously the plastic will allow sun to still reach the plants while allowing most of the rain to fall to the perimeter of each site with the holes letting water through to keep the ground moist. Even plants that are mould resistant it not 100% in stopping it especially if there is a lot of rain. Sorry to hear about the snails causing problems, i have heard and read that sometimes copper doesn't work. Get some slug pellets, they usually blue in colour and they work great. Will need re-applied at least once every 7-14 days but they do work. I see lots of dead slugs and snails round all 3 of my sites. Goid thing is they are cheap an effective, bad thing is that if birds eat those dead slugs or snails it not good for them. The choice of a dead/unwell bird or growing some good weed that is protected from slugs/snails then i choose the latter.

All in all your grow is looking good.

Day 70 from seed, first 3 plants chopped

I've been busy lately so my mate has been on mould patrol twice and each time cut some mouldy buds off.
The weather is still very wet but not as bad as it has been, now we just need two weeks of sunshine so the remaining plants can finish strong with minimum mould.

We went out this evening to check up on the situation and decided to cut 3 of the plants early, so we'll be sure to get a little bud for our effort and money.
We chopped Auto Frisian Dew #1(SWICK), Auto Frisian Dew #2 and Night Queen #1.
70 days from seed is quite early outdoors and trichomes are ~60/40 cloudy/clear and no amber.
After we removed all leaves without trichomes we packed the buds in plastic bags, went home and trimmed the buds before doing a bud wash.
The Night Queen is by far the best looking and most developed of the chopped ladies, with dense and frosty buds.

Think Different #1(far left in the first picture) is looking super nice and could pack a good weight if the weather behaves. it's very leafy, but the buds looks very nice and has potential to become massive.

Group Shot

WP_20160716_21_56_17_Pro.jpg

Night Queen #1 before chop

WP_20160716_21_50_15_Pro.jpg

After trimming, before wash

WP_20160717_02_59_35_Pro.jpg

After Bud Wash

WP_20160717_03_46_58_Pro.jpg

Night Queen #1 10 Minutes After Bud Wash:yummy:

WP_20160717_03_47_13_Pro.jpg

Glad to see you got something for your efforts. You'll notice a big difference to those that are still outside to those that have been chopped. Still a fair bit of weight to be gained but if you're losing crop to bud rot then best pulling what you can before losing more than what you would gain. Weather here isnt too bad. Day of rain, 2 dry days and a half decent sunny day with the odd shower seems to be what we are getting so at least am not needing to go out and water. Will need to give them a good blast of full strength pk 13/14 and black treacle soon, that should see them to finish. Am on day 79 and judging by the 2 on the balcony they all still have around 4-5 weeks to go before getting chopped in which time they should pack on some serious weight and even more if it gets really sunny. At least you know you can get a half decent grow done outside and you'll learn from it. Perhaps see if you can get a clear cover next year. Lets in the sun while keeping out the rain.

Once dried let us know how it smokes and what dry weight you pulled. Personally i let my stuff grow till there are all cloudy trich's with around 25% amber.

Glad to see you got something for your efforts. You'll notice a big difference to those that are still outside to those that have been chopped. Still a fair bit of weight to be gained but if you're losing crop to bud rot then best pulling what you can before losing more than what you would gain. Weather here isnt too bad. Day of rain, 2 dry days and a half decent sunny day with the odd shower seems to be what we are getting so at least am not needing to go out and water. Will need to give them a good blast of full strength pk 13/14 and black treacle soon, that should see them to finish. Am on day 79 and judging by the 2 on the balcony they all still have around 4-5 weeks to go before getting chopped in which time they should pack on some serious weight and even more if it gets really sunny. At least you know you can get a half decent grow done outside and you'll learn from it. Perhaps see if you can get a clear cover next year. Lets in the sun while keeping out the rain.

Once dried let us know how it smokes and what dry weight you pulled. Personally i let my stuff grow till there are all cloudy trich's with around 25% amber.

We are keeping a close eye on the remaining plants, and if one is suffering from too much mould, it'll be chopped.
Let's hope a new heatwave hits soon;)

I usually let my indoor plants go to +25% amber trichomes, but outdoors it's all about the weather.
Last year we chopped at week 12 and 13 from seed and it could have gone a week or two more to mature perfectly, but the smoke was very nice after a wash and some curing:)

Day 80 from seed

Last update was day 72, not day 70 :lot-o-toke:

Another visit and another plant chopped, this time it was the dark fluffy Berry Bomb Auto which was pretty much not doing anything. Only one of the 3 Berry Bomb Autos is a decent plant...

Luckily we just had nice 5 days of hot sunny weather, still some budrot though.
The last Berry Bomb Auto and the last Auto Frisian Dew will be chopped soon, we're gonna try and let the 2 Think Different and the last Auto Night Queen go for as long as possible.

I'm never going to chose auto strains for outdoor based on promises of mould resistance again, but just go with what I think would be fun to grow and nice to smoke.

Of the 10 plants it seems we ended up with 2 very nice, 6 decent/mediocre, 1 bad and 1 useless.
Last year was 7 plants with 4 good/decent plants and 3 that never broke soil.

Dark fluffy Berry Bomb Auto with leaves stripped before harvest

WP_20160724_21_24_09_Pro.jpg

The good Berry Bomb Auto, not going to be a heavy yielder but the buds look and smell incredible
(I hope my indoor photo version is gonna smell this yummy;))

WP_20160724_21_23_50_Pro.jpg

Auto Frisian Dew, mould resistant my a**

WP_20160724_21_24_25_Pro.jpg

Auto Night Queen, not as big and nice as her chopped sister but looking just as frosty

WP_20160724_21_25_23_Pro.jpg

Think Different side by side. the one on the left is the best of the 10,
looks like it could yield a pretty decent amount of fluffy but sticky bud.
Buds on both are airy and these ladies have been the most mould resistant.

WP_20160724_21_27_57_Pro.jpg

Looking good my friend. The buds on my bombs look and feel pretty packed and heavy. I just got a problem of powdery mildew (PM) and mould so now combating that problem. Just need to keep on top of it and hopefully the home-made sprays will help. Luckily the buds seem unaffected and not suffering any bud rot.

I wouldnt trust anything that claims to be mould resistant. Just continue with what you want to do and grow what sounds good.

On wed i going out with my pal to re-arrange all 3 plots. Sorting out the meshing, ripping up grass and weeds and making new covers for each plot. Seen a greenhouse earlier today with similar coverings to what i'm using so will continue with that and this will help to stop (hopefully) any bud rot.

Hey Nordic,

Despite the wet and the snails you got some good looking plants.
I'm doin my first grow, and I've opted for all outdoors.

We've used crushed egg shells to prevent snails in all our gardens.
Works well and its cheap.
We give them a quick rinse just to keep the critters away. Egg shells go into our compose as well. I don't know if you can do a compose where u are.

Mint plants keep rodents away. I learned that after losing a plant to a squirrel.

Your buds look very tasty though.

Cheers,
Rookie16

Hey rookie. Glad to hear you coming up with ways to keep rodents and slugs away. I got fencing round mine - take a look at my sig especially the last 2 or 3 pages, or read all if you got time.

I use blue slug pellets to keep slugs/snails at bay. I know that these are not good for dogs or cats but have neither near my grow. Also if birds eat dead slugs poisened by the pellets then they can get unwell or die. Frankly choosing between a dead bird or my crop being ravaged by slugs and having no smoke, well i choose the dead bird. Pellets worked well for me last year and although there are a lot of options to keep them at bay - sharp sand, glass, egg shells, beer traps, copper wire, etc i have heard that sometimes they dont work. I did a bit of research so went with what i know works for me. Also - wasting beer to kill a slug - rather drink it myself, lol.

Hey Nordic,

Despite the wet and the snails you got some good looking plants.
I'm doin my first grow, and I've opted for all outdoors.

We've used crushed egg shells to prevent snails in all our gardens.
Works well and its cheap.
We give them a quick rinse just to keep the critters away. Egg shells go into our compose as well. I don't know if you can do a compose where u are.

Mint plants keep rodents away. I learned that after losing a plant to a squirrel.

Your buds look very tasty though.

Cheers,
Rookie16

Thanks man!

I'm gonna look into the eggshell thing for next year, the slugs don't care for the mature plants so we're good for this grow.
We're lucky to only have the red squirrels here, though some of the grey bastards are crossing the border now and then.

Back
Top Bottom