Northern Lights Autos: FoNz's Fabulous First Grow

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Decided I'd break out the handheld microscope to see if I could determine gender from any of the early calyx sites. Three out of five have expressed gender and they are gals, the two plants that have not expressed gender are Runty (I'd expect her to be the last to show) and Chachi. On Chachi I can see the super small green bump above the stipule with the handheld microscope. This means in a short time I will have confirmation of her gender. As for Runty, the stipules have barely developed so the calyxes are probably still a little ways away.

Connie the Barbarian, plant #2 and plant #4 are all confirmed females! Yay! When I can get macro shots of these gender identifiers I will post them. For right now I only have my phone and that won't quite get the job done.

You got regular auto seeds? Only the second person I've seen here do that...and I get around a bit! Unless your friend started with male autos (rare) to make the seeds, then yours would be females.
Feminized, but even with feminized seeds a plant will occasionally express as male or hermaphrodite. Chance is low but not non-existent, for the sake of not accidentally pollinating bud I would consider it good practice to check gender.

Then again... without accidental pollination we might not have nearly as many good bagseed grow journals. :p

Also, plants #2 and #4 still have no name if you wanna take a stab. :Rasta:

Connie the Barbarian: Day 23

Eminem: Day 23

Chachi: Day 23

Number Four: Day 23

Runty: Day 30

D12 Family Photo: Day 23

Edit: 2 days and 3 weeks is 23 days, not 30 days... Math, am I right?

It's actually wire for bonsai, but I'm clearly repurposing it. Aka, smooth and round. Also extremely flexible so you can thread it like rope, not akin to wire that you would get at a hardware store. I have 3 other gauges but this one is malleable enough that the plants can bend it themselves.

I sneezed and sent that last post a little prematurely, but I am gonna leave it because it is one of my least wordy posts. :rofl:

But really, photos time. First is a close up of the wire I'm using for @InTheShed so that peace may fill his soul that I am not gouging and torturuing my plants. :p

As you can see it's very smooth, very round and doesn't kink. I don't know what metal it is, but I would recommend it. Also I want to know what metal it is!
I just noticed my shitty cell phone camera kinda picked up a couple pistils sticking out of the calyxes on the top node there! Also, could the tiny pre-pre-flower pistils and the fuzzy trichomes all over my plants be the cause of the aroma? They are super aromatic plants (can smell them from the entryway of my house now - and they are in the point absolute farthest from any entry - I do have a very sensitive nose though). Let me know your thoughts.

So in this picture a certain phenomena that is happening on all my plants is visible, my plants are growing two styles of leaves. One has a thick waxy cuticle that makes them look all shiny (not as shiny as @Mr. Magoo 's plants, but we all know he's got some kinda alien Illuminati voodoo he uses in his grows). The others are kind of matte and are consistent with all the leaves that have grown thus far. I don't mind, both look healthy and it gives the plant a really cool overall texture to it.

This one is taken in a new lighting area, tell me if you like this lighting better. Also, can you spot the oddity here? If you do, tell me what you think it is/what caused it and I will tell you my thought!

Runty is finally big enough that she has her first LST tie downs and look what I found under her pretty leaves! Holy lateral sites batman! I think regardless of yield, Runty is going to be my prettiest plant. I love her symmetry.

24 days old now and such happy gals. I am so proud of them.

Today may be the last time adjust their tie downs and just let the rest of their space naturally. Once they are readjusted I'll get a family photo showing how evenly spread the growth sites are now, they are not as organized as Mr. Magoo's quadline'd plants but they sure are vivacious.

Because they have their own timetable, and don't always do what we want. I've had ones go into flower at 4" tall, had ones with no side branching that flowered early and produced 9g...things like that. I'm growing in an uncontrolled environment and they can be sensitive little things. I might have had different results in a tent.

Mind you I have grown some nice ones, including a 6 ouncer and a 4+ ouncer. But it's all I used to grow and now I'll grow maybe three or four a year.

Ah, those are all great points. I am only growing them as a starter before I get my photos next, very strongly considering Northern Lights #5 x Haze by Sensi. It is still a ways away though.

Thanks for the compliments FoNz! You give me far too much credit though. Lol. I gladly pass it on to all the people that help me every step of the way. InTheShed is up towards the top of that list for sure.

As for autos, I’ve settled into using them to fill in the gaps of space in my tent. I haven’t put high expectations on them and they haven’t surprised me. Lol. They stay in small pots so they don’t have the opportunity to get huge. I do enjoy growing them though. They keep things moving along while the photoperiod girls take their time. At the end of this run I will have run 2 photos in 10 gallon pots and 4 autos in small pots (1 gal and 2.5 gal). I can only have 4 at any given time so they allow me to keep a little variety as well. At the end I will see him many grams I produced from day 1 of the first seed till the last day of the last plant left standing. The autos will be a little boost to that number in the end. The Dark Devil Auto was a fun one to grow. Very beautiful plant the entire grow. She was small but I would just stare at her sometimes. Beautiful strain! She smelled of Plum and Haze. She was my first purple strain and I’ll definitely grow another one of her. She just finished her 3rd week of curing. Here’s a pic of a little nug.

Her smell has totally changed now. I can’t even describe it. Amazing is all I can say!

Back
Top Bottom