Northern Lights Autos: FoNz's Fabulous First Grow

Her smell has totally changed now. I can’t even describe it.
I just found this a few minutes ago and posted it in Preston's thread because Bilbo was talking about smells blah blah blah here it is:

I just found this a few minutes ago and posted it in Preston's thread because Bilbo was talking about smells blah blah blah here it is:

That’s pretty cool. I’ll use that to see if I can distinguish between smells. Mostly I just smell different versions of “good weed” lol. I saw a wheel similar to this that had the names of the terpenes on it as well.

Only other wheel I have:
You know, today when I came home they smelled like skunky Italian food. Like a cheesy pasta or wood fired pizza, I can't find that on either wheel but they might be having an identity crisis having to share the tent with some basil.

Hmmm....:lot-o-toke:

On the go post!

Family photo as promised. :) 26 days old

The lemon basil in the foreground, which has been harvested twice admittedly, is almost 3 weeks older than the autos. It seems fairly clear which plant would outcompete in a natural environment.

26 days old. Have you read the "Life cycle of autos" in my signature page? Or any such material would be a look forward.

Ah thanks, just gave it a read! The material there makes sense, no flower sites yet but the growth sites are getting more and more crowded. The nutrient recommendation therein is great and I was planning on continuing veg nutrients for a bit based on a suspicion that the plants would be able to be directed for a period of their life based on nutrient availability. This post seems to confirm that suspicion!

I think it's hysterical you quadlined your lemon basil!
All pro-basil growers quadline (lol I really only just harvested the top and it grew like that).

Day 27: So, a plant has started to do something interesting. It is not my biggest plant and not my smallest. In fact it is the only plant that no one officially named. Number Four. What has she done just before we finish week 4?

It seems Number Fours growth pattern has shifted slightly. The leaves coming in now are different... and can you spot them? Calyxes and pistils are popping up all over. Still very small, but I was wondering what was causing a significant shift in aroma recently. I believe we found the culprit. Following is a photo of another bud site.

Here you can see the calyxes very clearly and a weird zig zag alternating pattern. I believe I have seen some people call this stacking? Number Four, first to preflower and looks like she'll be jumping headstrong into flower soon. Interesting that they have all had the same medium, pot size, waterings, feedings yet this gal decided to flower now and the others have - upon close inspection - not shown that they are pre-flowering yet.

Here are some photos of the others.

Connie the Barbarian still going the hardest through vegetation. If these were photoperiod strains I would be most likely cloning Connie, I hope her flower ends up as strong as her veg.

Eminem is growing well, no pistils and calyxes popping up yet.

Chachi has finally started to take over the full pot well, really pretty leaves on her. No calyxes and pistils popping up everywhere yet here either.

And of course the little lady, Runty, is exploding with growth now. Still the smallest but she's definitely healthy.

I'll keep y'all posted on early flowering Number Four and will be really interested to see just how variant the flowering schedule ends up being.

Not sure if you know but you only need half a dryer sheet to do the job. So cut them all in half and save 50%. :thumb:
I will forever be 50% of my dryer sheets indebted to you now.

Family photo for day 28, week 4 complete!

As @stoneotter prophesied, the plants are beginning to grow vertically by a a good deal. I was unsure because they seemed so squat compared to others I've seen and now I understand first hand how the growth pattern changes. Between the first day and only a few days of pre-flower depending on the plant but they are all now trying to grow upwards far more. Pistils are present on all plants except for Runty.

:thumb: all around!
Thanks InTheShed! A good deal of my plants health and vigor comes straight from the community. Such great people, knowledge and support push me to be a good plant papa.
Love the last pic especially. The light and darkness, the clairity of the tiny hairs. Very nice. Looking great overall.
Yea! I'm really excited we have accidentally made a technique for those high contrast photos while trying to find a solution to lighting for macro shots. The focus area is hyper brightened which helps get focus on the tiny things but also turns the normally well lit surroundings almost black. Once we have bigger trichomes (around frosting time etc) I think this is gonna get some really interesting photos!

Thanks InTheShed! A good deal of my plants health and vigor comes straight from the community. Such great people, knowledge and support push me to be a good plant papa.

Yea! I'm really excited we have accidentally made a technique for those high contrast photos while trying to find a solution to lighting for macro shots. The focus area is hyper brightened which helps get focus on the tiny things but also turns the normally well lit surroundings almost black. Once we have bigger trichomes (around frosting time etc) I think this is gonna get some really interesting photos!
Don't forget the contests!

Don't forget the contests!
I already submitted a photo this month before the new 2-man photo style (involves me holding a high powered flashlight, is fun), next month we'll work together to create most amaze photo NA.

Just finished mixing, pH balancing, allowing to gas off and feeding my plants their 3rd supplemental feeding.

I'm using a feed - water alternating cycle mixing and using about 3 gallons of feed then about 3 gallons of water. I may have to double it to 6 gallons soon to be able to keep the cycles at the same frequency.

While growth explodes after feeding, I feel the plants also appreciate the lower ppm regular waterings too. My water ppm is about 220, feeding ppm is about 650, water and feed pH balanced down between 5.5 and 6.2. I suspect some mild variance in pH can help facilitate the health of the soil and the absorbance rates of the plant.

I'd have to say my regiment is working well so far, when I feed I usually get a few leaves that show just a tiny bit of brown tips (so small it's hard to get on camera, I'll try this time around to catch it if I can). Since my soil is so rich already, the feeding is only to load the plant up with nutes to however much it can take without full burn.

I can't wait to see this next growth phase for the first time and share the results!

Just finished mixing, pH balancing
Since you are approaching this with a scientific background, what do you think of this:

Back
Top Bottom