Northern Lights Autos: FoNz's Fabulous First Grow

Look up "no till" and see that people do this all the time. If I run a 7 gal container or larger I know good and well that all the layers and spikes and other goodness that I packed into that soil are still there and plenty of raw materials are left over after one plant's attempts to use them all. I will run a container like this twice, almost every time, and I notice no loss of quality in the second run as a result. I simply pull the main center mass of the rootball out of the container and transplant the next one into that hole.
The root mass that I pull out gets cut up and added back to my compost bin to become part of the next soil. The roots that are left in the container will decompose and all of the microbes and fungi surrounding them migrate naturally over to the living roots being introduced to the system. There really is no downside to doing this, keeping in mind that it wont work in a smaller container where the soil actually has been depleted in the last run.
I knew you had some info, so I'm running 7 gallon containers and have been conditioning the soil throughout the grow. Theoretically this soil is primed and ready for trying that myself, yea?

Awesome!

Well in other news, I still have to finish two more girls. Runty got some defoliation, cleaning and a feeding just now and looks like she'll be my next to finish. Starting to fatten up, mostly clear trichomes still.

Pistils are more orange than on some of the other plants, pistil color has been inconsistent across all my plants' phenotypes. I'm very glad I got a scope and loupe to check on trichomes or my bud might have turned out worse from overly late harvests waiting for all the pistils to shift.

I think Runty will be the only one to be entirely or almost entirely orange pistils by the time her trichomes get the amber rush. Here are a couple pics.
IMG_20190430_121042.jpg

IMG_20190430_121109.jpg

There is another surprise with Runty, who was the plant to show the first genetic oddity (no apical meristem). It's far more visible in real life, but does anyone notice something slightly different about Runty's bud?

For people who haven't read this whole journey, early on I had to top this gal as a seedling on the first node in order for her to survive. As you can see, such a drastic call ended up working and she will probably be my 3rd or 4th largest plant yield wise. She is significantly larger than Chachi was at harvest and is still getting fatter in the buds.

Hey brother @FoNz hows things looking in here?? :snowboating:

Ah sorry, I definitely lapsed there for a few days. Not dead yet (I can dance and I can sing).

As a quick update I am letting the last two plants finish in the pot during flush and will chop them down. Trim jail today for a bit to trim up number four's dry buds and chopping the last two down either today or tomorrow.

Note on the smoke, quality and high thus far. Connie ended up having fairly airy buds compared to the dense and tight bud of Chachi. Number Four has for the longest time been the smelliest and the only one to really pack that thick smell. The others have dried and cured to a very traditional mellow indica as fits the Northern Lights strain description despite differences in growth and smell while the plants were alive.

I would personally say that for a strain noted as 10-15% THC, it still definitely yields a pretty strong high.

Another odd thing, since the bud has finished my tolerance has gone up significantly. Can't imagine why.
:lot-o-toke:

Final weights and family photos of all the mason jars coming soon. :Namaste:

Ah sorry, I definitely lapsed there for a few days. Not dead yet (I can dance and I can sing).

As a quick update I am letting the last two plants finish in the pot during flush and will chop them down. Trim jail today for a bit to trim up number four's dry buds and chopping the last two down either today or tomorrow.

Note on the smoke, quality and high thus far. Connie ended up having fairly airy buds compared to the dense and tight bud of Chachi. Number Four has for the longest time been the smelliest and the only one to really pack that thick smell. The others have dried and cured to a very traditional mellow indica as fits the Northern Lights strain description despite differences in growth and smell while the plants were alive.

I would personally say that for a strain noted as 10-15% THC, it still definitely yields a pretty strong high.

Another odd thing, since the bud has finished my tolerance has gone up significantly. Can't imagine why.
:lot-o-toke:

Final weights and family photos of all the mason jars coming soon. :Namaste:
Funny how a low thc offering can blast me to the moon sometimes. I've gone over the edge on 8% thc before wondering how that happened.
So what do you suppose makes some bud less dense?

Funny how a low thc offering can blast me to the moon sometimes. I've gone over the edge on 8% thc before wondering how that happened.
So what do you suppose makes some bud less dense?
Well from a plant biology standpoint it could make since that some plants have different growth patterns, including how big their vacuoles end up getting (they are basically water sacs in each cell that help the plant keep rigidity). This could be from environmental, genetic or both factors.

I suspect this might be at the core of it, since a plant with bigger vacuoles would have a lot more water weight to lose. It actually be pretty easy to visualize and confirm under the scope if I had the equipment. Might be hard to get anyone to let me use their equipment during the summer.

Im sure those girls are chopped by now @FoNz? :lot-o-toke::ganjamon:

Hey @FoNz i'm damn keen on seeing what you're growing there dont be shy...... :nomo::passitleft::bongrip:

Back
Top Bottom