Northern Lights in the South

Tri
They were actually tied down with wire for LST and keep wanting to turn upwards. They were not supported at all. Very strong branching. Preliminary test bud quick dry yesterday. Not much taste, but very nice mellow high. Letting her go till the tri's turn mostly amber for more of a couch lock stone, I hope.
Nice!
I hope my branches are that strong, so I don't have to mess with a bunch of stakes. I'll be looking for about 25% amber. So, I'm thinking 8-9 weeks.

I checked the clones on Monday 11-29, and found that the male clones in the S.T.G. storm clone plugs had dried out. I just read that I should have been misting them even though they are in a cloner. It helps to read the directions! :reading420magazine: I think STG's storm series is best suited for a top feed or ebb & flow system. Oh well, that's why I used male clones.
100_10821.JPG

100_10832.JPG

Yesterday I transplanted the rooted female clones into FF Ocean Forest in keg cups.
These will be going to a friend.
100_10873.JPG

100_1088.JPG

Today, the remaining clones are doing well. The females in my cloner look real good and the males in coco are ok but a bit droopy.
100_10902.JPG

100_10912.JPG

100_10922.JPG

:surf:

Quick Clone Update
Hey, hey! I got roots in 5 days! The females have rooted and are looking good as ever.:)
100_10932.JPG

100_10941.JPG

100_1095.JPG

The males in coco are not as successful. They are drooping more. I'll mist them tomorrow.
100_10983.JPG

The transplanted clones are getting along nicely. They'll make a sweet Xmas gift for my friend. Sorry no pic, but they look the same as last pic.
:hippy:

Northern Lights 10 weeks plus

Looks like my buds are still stretching if you can see what i mean in the pics between the red lines, and notice how swollen the upper pods are
NL_10th_wk_1_R2.JPG

and the LST is sure helping her fill out
NL_10th_wk_12_Rc.JPG

Your main plants look great, Nortern Lights is my fav by far with the most amazing taste especially when cured good. I got some plants a couple weeks behind yours I will be cloning a mother plant out of soon. Strain Dutch Treat.

I cant wait to see this harvest, I dream of the day I can get a hold of this strain to grow. It isn't a hard plant to grow either and with the techniques of today you can make these girls make you so happy.

:welcome: to 420 and thanx, swedsea!
I always wanted to try Northern Lights ever since I heard about it years ago. The first time I did, it was from a plant I grew. Very nice. Now I want to see what I can do to make it even nicer.:grinjoint:

OMG That is some good lsting!!! Clones look good too!
I know, right?! Thanx, Tmac.

Looking great, HH! Those foxes' tails are getting long.;) I'm still amazed at how you got so many tops that are the same size as a main cola. I haven't tried lst yet. I guess I'm a topper guy. I topped the girl in flower twice and ended up with 6 tops. I think I'll try lst on a future clone.

Question for y'all. Is NL a heavy feeder?
:peace:

A couple of days ago, I checked the clones and found that the roots had gotten longer and they had grown new leaves!
12/08/10 Check the difference from the last pics.
100_11003.JPG

100_11011.JPG

100_11063.JPG

100_11073.JPG

I transplanted the clones from the cloner to a DWC bucket and a Water Farm. About a third of the clay pebbles in the Water Farm are reused. I tried washing the reused pebbles with dish soap. Don't Do It! This was a mistake. I rinsed and rinsed and soaked and rinsed. I thought I got all the soap out, so I filled the WF and sterted it up. The next day I checked it, the drip ring was making bubbles. The bubbles have stopped, but the plant is suffering.
12/08/10
100_11082.JPG

100_11094.JPG

12/09/10
100_1110.JPG

Today
100_1118.JPG

The other clones are alive, but no growth. One of the rooted clones is showing a problem that I'll have to figure out.
12/08/10
100_11022.JPG

Spots
100_11031.JPG

100_11042.JPG

Male test clones. I cut off the lower droopy leaves.
100_11053.JPG

In the flower I discovered how thirsty this girl is. I didn't check on her for 6 days and she had totally dry coco, and looked really hungry. Her lower leaves turned a bright yellow. I fed her, and hopefully she's on the road to recovery.
12/09/10 Sorry for crappy pics.
100_11131.JPG

100_1114.JPG

I also took some pollen from the male and cut him. I kept a couple of branches, and have them in a glass of water. I'm going to see if the pollen I collected will keep, and I will pollinate a lower bud with fresh pollen from the branches to make more seeds.
:roorrip:

Na, Tmac. It's more like water spots. I''l be changing the res out tomorrow. The spots on the clone in the keg cup are from over spray from the Water Farm.

Welcome, budster9! I am using Clonex rooting gel, and cloning solution in the cloners. For the coco clones I used Rootone powder.

I checked the veg room yesterday, and found this.
100_1120.JPG

I changed out the res and put plain PHed water but, she still looks the same today. i don't think shes coming back.:rip:
Since it's almost Christmas I'll quote Ralphie "It was soap poisoning!"

The other clone in the DWC bucket is doing well.
100_11192.JPG

The male test clones in coco are still alive, although they are starting to look hungry.
100_11212.JPG

:cool:

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!:xmas:
Mine was busy; both in and out of the garden. This flu and tooth ache have been slowing me down, so I haven't been able to keep up online.:straightface: Feeling a little better now, so here's an update.
In the veg room the mother clone in the DWC has grown a bit. She is looking healthy even though she is still working on her initial 1/4 strength res. When she sucks it down some more, I'll freshen it up.
Here's a shot of her a few days ago right before I topped her.
100_11261.JPG

One of the male coco clones grew, too. I decided to keep him around, so I transplanted him.
100_11243.JPG

100_11282.JPG

100_11302.JPG

100_11312.JPG

The other male clone is still struggling.
100_11253.JPG

I fed the lady in the flower room X-mas eve, and on Christmas I found she had completely fallen over. Luckily her stem was flexible enough not to break. I had to retrofit her with a tomato cage. Other than that she's bulking up nicely, and eating like a horse. I have given her 4 straight feedings, and no nute burn.
100_11224.JPG

100_11233.JPG

Also, I pollinated the lowest bud with the NL male to make more seeds.
:blunt:

sweet, i really like the paper clip idea that worked a treat! your cloning method looks a fool proof method may have to try it at some point! What nutes are you using? peace! ;-) im in for the ride on this one!

Hi tricome, so far so good eh? Hey what pH are you at in your hydro? I'm also curious about your plants in coco's pH? Looks like the spots on the clone could be a slight nutrient lock out due to low/high pH. You're female is looking good and phat! Keep it up brother :thumb:

High gang! Sorry it's been so long. I've been real busy with the holiday season. I hope everyone had a great one!

Nice looking Tricome~~ Hope that cage holds, she looks like she is gonna be a handful!!
Thanx, Tmac! Yea, even with the cage, I still had to tie some branches on. Unfortunately, I think the buds would be even bigger had I not subjected her to two droughts. The last one being due to the holidaze.

sweet, i really like the paper clip idea that worked a treat! your cloning method looks a fool proof method may have to try it at some point! What nutes are you using? peace! ;-) im in for the ride on this one!
Thanx, motionman! I'm really glad my ideas worked for you. I'm using Dutch Masters on this grow along with CalMag and superthrive. I just added SilicaBlast to the mother to help make strong branches to clone. Good luck with your cloning endeavors!

Hi tricome, so far so good eh? Hey what pH are you at in your hydro? I'm also curious about your plants in coco's pH? Looks like the spots on the clone could be a slight nutrient lock out due to low/high pH. You're female is looking good and phat! Keep it up brother
Thanx, LiveTour! I PH my hydro solution at 5.5. When I changed out the res on the 1st, the previous solution had been in the res a while and was at 5.7. I just checked it and it was 5.2, and about half gone. So, you may be onto something. I'll have to keep track of it.
I PH my coco solution to 6.0-6.3. The coco has a PH of 6.0. I checked the runoff a couple of times, and it was 6.0. :smokin:

Good info, but I noticed you BOLDLY posted your state, which is not a legal one. Hope you don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself.
Thanx, PetFlora! Yea, I was pretty worried about it at first, but then I figured F it!:wood: There are quite a few others from FL and other not yet legal states. I keep my grows very small for personal use, and have no intention or desire to go "commercial". Right now, Florida's biggest drug problem is with prescription drugs and all the "pain clinics" down here.
Someday all the states will be united in cannabis; until then, we'll keep fighting for it!:peace:

Here are some pics from 1/3.
Mother
100_11395.JPG

100_11432.JPG

100_11531.JPG

100_11543.JPG

The little male clone got a little growth, but I decided I didn't need him. :rip:
100_11363.JPG

100_11422.JPG

Other "male?" clone. More on that later.
100_11442.JPG

open yet immature male flowers on bottom
100_11511.JPG

female flowers on top
100_11334.JPG

Flowering lady
100_11451.JPG

100_11461.JPG

As you can see there are some yellow leaves from the drought. I fed her on the 1st; 8 days after her previous feeding. Two days too late. Coco holds water very well, but when it drys out , it goes bone dry.
Here are some leaves I removed. Nice shades of Autumn.
100_11562.JPG

Despite that, she has some nice buds.
100_11482.JPG

Middle
100_11491.JPG

Fresh pics and info coming soon! :morenutes:

Looking good Tricome! :goodjob: I'm not sure how I missed this grow so far, but I'm definately subscribed. I've been struggling with my first grow using STG & waterfarm plus a DIY cloner, so I'm sub'd for this one. Best wishes!

:welcome: and thanx, Mr Krip! I just checked out your seedling; looking good! Yea, the STG can be hard to keep moist. The Water Farm can build up salt deposits that can clog it, so when you start feeding full on, flush it regularly. Hope this helps. I dig your DIY stuff.:thumb: Feel free to ask ?s, we can probably learn a lot from each other.
:goodluck: on your grow!

UPDATE (a little late) PIcs from 1/9/11.
Mother
100_11571.JPG

100_11591.JPG

100_11603.JPG

Transsexual male clone
This is under 24hrs light. Lower immature "balls".
100_11674.JPG

Upper female flowers.
100_11612.JPG

Flowering Lady
100_11695.JPG

100_11704.JPG

100_11712.JPG

I'll be cloning tomorrow, and will take pics.:smokin:

Thanks Tricome...looking good and definately look forward to trading knowledge & ideas. Which brings me to what may be a dumb question regarding your hermie...

Since the lower part of the plant is male and the upper is female (so to speak), if you were to top it and clone the top (female) section, is there ANY chance you'd get a female plant?

Technically, they would have the same genetics, so I would think you'd get another hermie (or highly prone to hermie) plant, but IF you're cloning a female part of the plant, maybe you can get a female?

Anyone have any experience with this???

Back
Top Bottom