Northern Lights Indoors Hydro

MikkaTheEnt

My second simultaneous grow is Northern Lights auto:

Date started: 2018 Jan 10
Germination: Seed in between 2 moist paper towels, transferred to Rooter plugs in germination station
Seed(s): Northern Lights auto from Growers Choice
Indoors/Outdoors: Indoors
Tent: Vivosun 2x4x5 with two 4" inlet fans, 6" carbon filtration, clip on fan
Lights: two Viparspectra 300w on pulleys, since this is an auto I'll just light her up as the other two photoperiod tent mates
Grow Method: General Hydroponics water farm
Nutes: full aggressive grow strength, General Hydroponics FloraGrow, FloraMicro, FloraBloom; pH Up/Down and CalMag as needed
Canopy Management: aggressive and early on LST

The seed popped within a few days, and when there was enough of a tail, I put it into my heated germination station in a Rooter plug, in a south facing window. Left it there for 4 days till I got a nice stem and first true leaves, then moved it into the tent and turned on the system. I meant to start this journal last month but sickness in the family kept me from doing so till now (damn flu). Today is 29 days from seed, and here's the obligatory photo:

i03CxD9.jpg

She's looking good so far. There is a bit of algae on the clay pebbles at the surface. I am not sure if I need to do anything about it. I did have some in prior grows and it didn't matter, so I may just leave her alone to do her thing.

My second simultaneous grow is Northern Lights auto:

Date started: 2018 Jan 10
Germination: Seed in between 2 moist paper towels, transferred to Rooter plugs in germination station
Seed(s): Northern Lights auto from Growers Choice
Indoors/Outdoors: Indoors
Tent: Vivosun 2x4x5 with two 4" inlet fans, 6" carbon filtration, clip on fan
Lights: two Viparspectra 300w on pulleys, 18/4 for veg, 12/12 when in flower
Grow Method: General Hydroponics water farm
Nutes: full aggressive grow strength, General Hydroponics FloraGrow, FloraMicro, FloraBloom; pH Up/Down and CalMag as needed
Canopy Management: aggressive and early on LST

The seed popped within a few days, and when there was enough of a tail, I put it into my heated germination station in a Rooter plug, in a south facing window. Left it there for 4 days till I got a nice stem and first true leaves, then moved it into the tent and turned on the system. I meant to start this journal last month but sickness in the family kept me from doing so till now (damn flu). Today is 29 days from seed, and here's the obligatory photo:

i03CxD9.png

She's looking good so far. There is a bit of algae on the clay pebbles at the surface. I am not sure if I need to do anything about it. I did have some in prior grows and it didn't matter, so I may just leave her alone to do her thing.
Looking good Mikka :)

Subbing in if that's cool?

The algae doesn't affect it much from what I've read but you can cover the top of the pot with cardboard and it should kill it off as it feeds on light. I do think it may raise humidity personally but probably not much :)

Ahh, here we are at the 4-week-in-veg mark for this grow, Northern Lights auto. Because her tentmates are photoperiod, I'm going to have to flip her to 12/12, though I've read that should be no problem. This gal has gotten a bit bushier, time to start tying down to keep the canopy level. Here she is:

20180217_nl.jpg

The only thing I don't know (as I'm new to autos) is when to start feeding her flower nutes. I'm going to assume for the moment that it's the same as photoperiod, shift over at first sign of flower. But I'll be reading up to make sure of that.

This Northern Lights auto grow is doing very well at day 47 from seed, one week under 12/12 lighting because of her photoperiod tent mates. Looks like I'm about one week out from switching over to flower nutes.

Okay, here I am at day 52 from seed, day 14 in flower (12/12 LEDs since her tentmates need it). Flowers coming in, looking great. I have her on 2 tsp. Gro, 2 tsp. Micro, 2 tsp. Flora, and 1 tsp. CaliMag, next nute change she goes full flower. Or since she's stretching out and filling out now, might change her over mid week's top-off.

OK, here my Northern Lights auto lassie at day 40F (day 78 from seed). Gave her a haircut last week, but she's bushing out fast anyway. Not sure if that's the strain's regular M.O. but she's looking good to me. Have some rust looking spots on some fan leaves, which I trim away regularly. Not sure if it's a nute problem, I give her the same as the other grows which don't get these spots. And I definitely need to start doing LST. Had trouble in the past tying down without causing trouble when I need to change nutes, but I've got a solution which I'll detail in another post, and use on the next grow.

Anyway, here she is:

Did you keep track of Nute ppm? What was you harvest? I’m doing 1st grow auto lights hydro. I’m running lights at 18\6 4 weeks just flippedflower light. Plant showing it’s sex so that’s why I flipped the flower light on. I’m running 2 600watt viparspectra. I was under impression since they’re auto I can maintain 18\6 schedule. Appreciate any comments. FYI. I’ve never even smoked weed before just wanted to try and grow one.

Hi Fomerballer. Sorry, been offline a bit. Yes, I kept track of ppm/ec as well as pH. I put my NL auto on 12/12 lights only because I have two tent mate plants that aren't auto, and they needed to go on 12/12. Otherwise, I would have probably kept on 18/6.

OK, it's harvest time for this grow! Here's the untrimmed yield:

I spent a bit trimming while wet and put the lass' buds into the drying rack in the tent, and will let this dry for a week and then do final trim and weigh. If I had to guess from this, though, I think I might get 3 oz. or so out of this grow. Can't wait to try it!

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this grow. Even though I didn't LST as I originally planned, I still got quite a yield, with about 10 nice sized colas. I have a plan to allow me to easily LST in the future by slightly modifying my waterfarms, and will detail that mod in another post.

Okay, today I pulled the buds from the dryer and did a final trim, and the yield loosely filled three mason jars. The buds felt really airy and light, and not sticky. Not sure how this is going to vape, but in two weeks I'll give her a go.

Final yield was just shy of 1.5 oz., less than I thought it would give but still okay for my first auto grow without LST.

OK, today was final trim after drying, then stuffed into a mason jar. Final yield was 40.5 grams. Two weeks of cure and I'll give this grow a vape test!

And now the vape report. This is the first time I've tried this particular strain. I like it. It starts off very head trippy, then lulls me into a totally relaxed state, making for a wonderful, pain-free night's sleep, exactly the reason I use cannabis for. Will I grow this one again? Sure, not now, but in a bit. I want to explore other strains first.

Great job. The crop king northern lights auto was my first grow.
Mine were airy too. I did not have that good of a climate controll and that caused my issue. Now that I have my lights on at 80 and lights off at 68-70, I am getting dense tight buds.
I read somewhere about needing the temp difference to obtain those results. It did work for me.
I totally agree with your smoke report.
Awesome job!!

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom