Northern Lights Review

Stltoed

Who hasnt heard of Northern Lights? It, along with Great White Shark was my first growing experience. I started in DWC and these two strains were perfect for a first timer.

This strain is a pure indica with a THC of about 18%. CBD content is negligable. The plants i grew had huge buds, i didnt know how rare it was to get buds 18" long with a diameter of a soup can... all I knew was these were the biggest buds i had ever seen.

The taste isnt anything special, but the effects are heavy. This is a strain that isnt so hot for the wake and bake. Its a bong hit away from bedtime. It feels stronger than the reported THC percentage.

The first 2 pics are of my first grow

The rest are pictures of a friends greenhouse grow of NL. In my opinion the buds were really small on these plants

Attachments

• DSCN4800 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN4800 - Copy.JPG
    892.1 KB · Views: 525
  • DSCN4803.JPG
    DSCN4803.JPG
    749.8 KB · Views: 520
  • 20190426_094545.jpg
    20190426_094545.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 499
  • 20190411_120019.jpg
    20190411_120019.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 447
  • 20190411_115950.jpg
    20190411_115950.jpg
    735.4 KB · Views: 484
Well done on an awesome first grow man! Really impressive :bravo::rollit:You've got some large, beautiful buds there!

Is northern lights a very smelly plant to grow?

Is northern lights a very smelly plant to grow?
It's not too bad. It's not like Skunk #1 or anything. Its renown as a plant that doesn't smell bad, but it can get stinky... as pot plants go, it's not bad at all. If you looking for a plant that wont piss off neighbors stay away from anything with anything with Skunk in the name. I grew Lemon Skunk from DNA and it didnt smell much. I grew it in a attached garage so it would have been a serious problem if it were a problem.

It's not too bad. It's not like Skunk #1 or anything. Its renown as a plant that doesn't smell bad, but it can get stinky... as pot plants go, it's not bad at all. If you looking for a plant that wont piss off neighbors stay away from anything with anything with Skunk in the name. I grew Lemon Skunk from DNA and it didnt smell much. I grew it in a attached garage so it would have been a serious problem if it were a problem.

I did a few plants a few years back,,, just to have a go for the hell of it,,, what did I choose "Lemon Skunk" I had it in my bedroom and either I was managing well with a filter or my sense of smell had died,,, to this day I really don't know which.
I live in a different house now with different neighbors and want something a little more discrete.

Thinking DP Mazar at present as a friend grew it almost without filter in his spare room and it was hardly noticeable.
Thinking Northern Lights may be more appropriate as I have a slight touch of prostate cancer but not worried about it the cancer but I am concerned about setting alarm bells going.

I live in a cool climate so I should be able to control the smell,, It's more my inexperience and raising alarm bells that concern me at present.

I did a few plants a few years back,,, just to have a go for the hell of it,,, what did I choose "Lemon Skunk" I had it in my bedroom and either I was managing well with a filter or my sense of smell had died,,, to this day I really don't know which.
I live in a different house now with different neighbors and want something a little more discrete.

Thinking DP Mazar at present as a friend grew it almost without filter in his spare room and it was hardly noticeable.
Thinking Northern Lights may be more appropriate as I have a slight touch of prostate cancer but not worried about it the cancer but I am concerned about setting alarm bells going.

I live in a cool climate so I should be able to control the smell,, It's more my inexperience and raising alarm bells that concern me at present.
Sounds like you have a plan. I'm thinking a good filter would work well for you. You can get used to the smell to a point where you dont smell it. Proper growing techniques and a good light can bring out the smell a bit, but I dont believe it will be much different than you've seen *smelled* I've never grown your strain, but you've seen it, so if you are cool with it and can get a clone, your rollin.

You were right to look at Northern Lights. It smells, but not at all like its mates. It's also a very heavy producer, easy to grow, and can be very strong. I recommend you try it someday if not now.

I'm very sorry to hear about your affliction. I have a friend with prostate cancer. I wanted to share with you what you can do with your airy buds that aren't quite up to the quality you're looking for. You can make a tincture with alcohol to strip the THC, which is in the oil of the plant. Once you have the oil/alcohol you dehydrate the mix till just the oil is left. From this you will have a byproduct call Rick Simpson Oil. This stuff is an amazing pain reliever. My pal uses it with great success. If/when you go to harvest come back and we can go through to process. All you will need is an oven, 99% isopropyl alcohol, some bowls and a fan

I hope everything works out. If you have questions start a thread, find me and we will sort it all out.

Keep your chin up!

Sounds like you have a plan. I'm thinking a good filter would work well for you. You can get used to the smell to a point where you dont smell it. Proper growing techniques and a good light can bring out the smell a bit, but I dont believe it will be much different than you've seen *smelled* I've never grown your strain, but you've seen it, so if you are cool with it and can get a clone, your rollin.

You were right to look at Northern Lights. It smells, but not at all like its mates. It's also a very heavy producer, easy to grow, and can be very strong. I recommend you try it someday if not now.

I'm very sorry to hear about your affliction. I have a friend with prostate cancer. I wanted to share with you what you can do with your airy buds that aren't quite up to the quality you're looking for. You can make a tincture with alcohol to strip the THC, which is in the oil of the plant. Once you have the oil/alcohol you dehydrate the mix till just the oil is left. From this you will have a byproduct call Rick Simpson Oil. This stuff is an amazing pain reliever. My pal uses it with great success. If/when you go to harvest come back and we can go through to process. All you will need is an oven, 99% isopropyl alcohol, some bowls and a fan

I hope everything works out. If you have questions start a thread, find me and we will sort it all out.

Keep your chin up!
The lemon skunk grow also had a few chemdawg in there,, it was years back. I don't smoke myself and not a lover of being stoned so I extracted it all into oil and stuck it into the freezer for me or someone I knew down the road that needed it. Sure enough I got the chance to give it away,, a friend of a friend was diagnosed with Glioblastoma with a prognosis of 2 to 3 weeks. His partner just needed more time,,it was all to quick.
I gave the jar to the cause,,, he lasted almost 4 mths so much so that the Dr's couldn't understand why,,they started sending in speech and physical therapists wondering that it may be some sort of remission,, they were not told the reason as the partner is a lawyer and feared being caught trying to hold on to her husband for a while longer.
Mention to your friend about Dr Dean Ornish he did a study for a few years with prostate cancer and diet just google it,, a friend in Spain did it it took 28 mths to get himself clear but you must stay on the diet.
Incidentally he had already had "conventinal treatment" that failed and decided no more when he started the diet.
I am already doing the diet myself,,, going down the herbal route for me is really an insurance plan and not the be all and end all.
Drawn to the NL at present,, perhaps I'll do half the NL and half the DP Mazar, just buy the CBD and add it in.
A freind that dose one we grow each year that he eeks out over the year grew the Mazar a few years back,, we extracted it into oil which he took a little of each evening. He didn't like not having the instant hit of the smoke but he loved the fact that it worked out so economical with his precious weed that he had enough to do him for near two years. The amazing thing was that over his torso he had several melonotic moles,,, the ones lower down around the level of his naval started itching as drying up and finaly fell off like a scab leaving a little scar almost like scar tissue from an old puncture wound. It just worked it's way up to the next one up and it just worked till the last one on his neck fell off,, he had had them from childhood.
Nothing your Dr can give your to do that,, other than maybe a hot poker,,, Uhhhh!

Best Wishes, B.S.

The lemon skunk grow also had a few chemdawg in there,, it was years back. I don't smoke myself and not a lover of being stoned so I extracted it all into oil and stuck it into the freezer for me or someone I knew down the road that needed it. Sure enough I got the chance to give it away,, a friend of a friend was diagnosed with Glioblastoma with a prognosis of 2 to 3 weeks. His partner just needed more time,,it was all to quick.
I gave the jar to the cause,,, he lasted almost 4 mths so much so that the Dr's couldn't understand why,,they started sending in speech and physical therapists wondering that it may be some sort of remission,, they were not told the reason as the partner is a lawyer and feared being caught trying to hold on to her husband for a while longer.
Mention to your friend about Dr Dean Ornish he did a study for a few years with prostate cancer and diet just google it,, a friend in Spain did it it took 28 mths to get himself clear but you must stay on the diet.
Incidentally he had already had "conventinal treatment" that failed and decided no more when he started the diet.
I am already doing the diet myself,,, going down the herbal route for me is really an insurance plan and not the be all and end all.
Drawn to the NL at present,, perhaps I'll do half the NL and half the DP Mazar, just buy the CBD and add it in.
A freind that dose one we grow each year that he eeks out over the year grew the Mazar a few years back,, we extracted it into oil which he took a little of each evening. He didn't like not having the instant hit of the smoke but he loved the fact that it worked out so economical with his precious weed that he had enough to do him for near two years. The amazing thing was that over his torso he had several melonotic moles,,, the ones lower down around the level of his naval started itching as drying up and finaly fell off like a scab leaving a little scar almost like scar tissue from an old puncture wound. It just worked it's way up to the next one up and it just worked till the last one on his neck fell off,, he had had them from childhood.
Nothing your Dr can give your to do that,, other than maybe a hot poker,,, Uhhhh!

Best Wishes, B.S.

So you aren't keeping buds. That makes for a lot of oil for sure. Northern Lights would be a great strain for you because of the quantity of bud. I'm a smoker myself. I wanted to share something... lethicin added to the oil makes it more bioavailable. You can't smoke it, but that doesnt appear to be an issue. I usually fill syringes with my oil, but sometimes capsules. I add coconut oil and lethicin. The coconut oil helps it go farther, but also chills out the affect a bit. Your kind of locked into a dose with a capsule. You can always take more pills if you want a stronger effect, but not the other way around.

That mole thing is nuts! I've never heard of anything like that.

Sounds like you have things sorted. If you ever want to know something about edibles, tinctures, or other concentrates there is a lady on here called SweetSue. This is her world. I got to meet her along with 4 or 5 other members last year. Her heart and soul is steeped in marijuana. I can tell you enough about concentrates to get it going, but she has a Doctorate in mean green. Cheers

Stitoed, Thank you for the advice,, very kind.
Sweet sue,, amazing lady,, she responded to a post on strain advice with a load of information.
She had great things to say about Grandpa Purple but I am cautious of going down the road of something that will make me want to break my periods of fasting so I think I will get on with Northern Lights also Kera seeds in the NLands are doing a 50% off for black Friday so that might get me pressing some buttons tomorrow night. They also do there version of Harlequin so probably a good one for the mixing. I wrote asking if they had anything with a balanced ratio as I couldn't find anything,, but found it a difficult site to use as alot of it is in dutch.

Cheers, Blue

Stitoed, Thank you for the advice,, very kind.
Sweet sue,, amazing lady,, she responded to a post on strain advice with a load of information.
She had great things to say about Grandpa Purple but I am cautious of going down the road of something that will make me want to break my periods of fasting so I think I will get on with Northern Lights also Kera seeds in the NLands are doing a 50% off for black Friday so that might get me pressing some buttons tomorrow night. They also do there version of Harlequin so probably a good one for the mixing. I wrote asking if they had anything with a balanced ratio as I couldn't find anything,, but found it a difficult site to use as alot of it is in dutch.

Cheers, Blue

She is great. It's fun to actually meet people you've talked to online.

One thing to think about... a seed company doesnt usually try too hard to make a popular strain. They will breed the 2 parents of a strain, then cross breed it. I had a friend grow NL. Seeds were from Crop King. The bud had no power at all.

What I would do is buy from a well known breeder to make sure I was getting what I was looking for. I would go with Sensi. They have been around for a long time and hold a lot of classical strains. I know they have an NL Auto, and possibly a CBD variety. Royal Queen is another good breeder. If money is an issue, I completely understand.

She is great. It's fun to actually meet people you've talked to online.

One thing to think about... a seed company doesnt usually try too hard to make a popular strain. They will breed the 2 parents of a strain, then cross breed it. I had a friend grow NL. Seeds were from Crop King. The bud had no power at all.

What I would do is buy from a well known breeder to make sure I was getting what I was looking for. I would go with Sensi. They have been around for a long time and hold a lot of classical strains. I know they have an NL Auto, and possibly a CBD variety. Royal Queen is another good breeder. If money is an issue, I completely understand.

I had looked at Sensi and ended up thinking,,it's just the cheek of an English company to demand the really high prices £12 a seed they want,, but I suppose when you put it like that It might be better to just bye a few seeds an do some clones, thinking scrog and try and make the most of the small tent area. So many decisions perhaps I should start smoking the stuff to help me make better decisions. I would have thought that something as old and NL would have alot of common good genetics hanging around,, but then again I suppose there might just be alot of heinz 57 bastardisations that bare no resembalance to the original thing.

I just want the closest thing I can get to the plant I want. I trust Sensi more than I would trust Moxie, or Blimburn,or any of the smaller operations. I would buy other strains that aren't knocked off version of a popular strain from most places.

A SCROG is a great idea. I almost always SCROG
I just started this one in RDWC.

Surgeon general says smoking pot cures boredom. Not really, that's more of a personal observation.

I'm sure there are some truly great Northern Lights out there, maybe more than I believe there is. There are some highly reviewed plants like a Northern Lights and Big Bud cross. Some say it's one of the highest yielding plants you can grow

Stitoed,,, Just look at what you made me do,,, it's all your fault,, I'm going to have to eat dust this week!
Sensi just happened to have a 50% sale on for black friday as well,,,, I was auctualy starting to feel really stoned when I was on the site trying to decide. I really only wanted a few northern light seeds to fix my dam prostate and something with a bit of CBD. Now look at me I could sell seeds to china!
I reckon the NL will get it sorted and the others will if nothing else help me sleep,,, on that note I am going to bed as it's now almost 4am in Ireland.
  • Northern Lights® -10- Fem
  • £ 56.17

• Sensi #1318 cbd 10 seeds
  • £ 29.38

• Sensi #49 cbd 10 seeds
  • £ 29.38

• California Indica® -10- Fem
  • £ 23.76

• Purple Bud - 10 Feminised Seeds WL
  • £ 16.42

Stitoed,,, Just look at what you made me do,,, it's all your fault,, I'm going to have to eat dust this week!
Sensi just happened to have a 50% sale on for black friday as well,,,, I was auctualy starting to feel really stoned when I was on the site trying to decide. I really only wanted a few northern light seeds to fix my dam prostate and something with a bit of CBD. Now look at me I could sell seeds to china!
I reckon the NL will get it sorted and the others will if nothing else help me sleep,,, on that note I am going to bed as it's now almost 4am in Ireland.
  • Northern Lights® -10- Fem
  • £ 56.17

• Sensi #1318 cbd 10 seeds
  • £ 29.38

• Sensi #49 cbd 10 seeds
  • £ 29.38

• California Indica® -10- Fem
  • £ 23.76

• Purple Bud - 10 Feminised Seeds WL
  • £ 16.42
Hahaha. Your welcome!

Some good looking stuff. I hope they work well for you... be sure to let me know!

Ireland is on my list. I always thought the Giants Causeway would be cool to see... that and about 50 other things. I love to travel. I've been to 11 countries in Europe. So much fun. I'm in Southern California, about 40 miles East of Los Angeles.

Night

Hahaha. Your welcome!

Some good looking stuff. I hope they work well for you... be sure to let me know!

Ireland is on my list. I always thought the Giants Causeway would be cool to see... that and about 50 other things. I love to travel. I've been to 11 countries in Europe. So much fun. I'm in Southern California, about 40 miles East of Los Angeles.

Night
Stltoed,, Avoid the Giants Causeway like the plague ,, terrible place, I have been up there twice and each time it rained,, it's the only place in the world where the rain comes at you from all directions at once,, including UP,, I had to wring my underwear out on both occasions,,, it was awful!
If you do come over I'll meet up with you, your more than welcome to stay with me, and plan where else you want to go to while your here, if the weather's reasonable maybe get you out sailing there's a few beautiful and interesting little Islands that not many get to unless they have a boat. I would recommend the airbnb thing in Ireland one because it's much cheaper to do and the locals are all so hospitable,, especially when you get out of the bigger city's.
Another great way is Hostels,, perhaps not everyones idea of fun but you meet a more intresting class of people who all interact,, hotels tend to be a bit dry and devoid of substance for my liking.

Blue

Stltoed,, Avoid the Giants Causeway like the plague ,, terrible place, I have been up there twice and each time it rained,, it's the only place in the world where the rain comes at you from all directions at once,, including UP,, I had to wring my underwear out on both occasions,,, it was awful!
If you do come over I'll meet up with you, your more than welcome to stay with me, and plan where else you want to go to while your here, if the weather's reasonable maybe get you out sailing there's a few beautiful and interesting little Islands that not many get to unless they have a boat. I would recommend the airbnb thing in Ireland one because it's much cheaper to do and the locals are all so hospitable,, especially when you get out of the bigger city's.
Another great way is Hostels,, perhaps not everyones idea of fun but you meet a more intresting class of people who all interact,, hotels tend to be a bit dry and devoid of substance for my liking.

Blue
Well if it entails multidirectional rain and requires a diaper I'm not going! Haha.

Nothing like I sider information. In the past we have rented taxis for the day and asked the driver to show us what he likes in the area. It's very good of you to offer to meet with us, thank you.

I love to sail. I sailed Santos as a child then sat on the rail of a 32 foot Melges a few times, but that was a while ago

This is good stuff. Thank you for all you offered. Makes me get itchy feet

Well if it entails multidirectional rain and requires a diaper I'm not going! Haha.

Nothing like I sider information. In the past we have rented taxis for the day and asked the driver to show us what he likes in the area. It's very good of you to offer to meet with us, thank you.

I love to sail. I sailed Santos as a child then sat on the rail of a 32 foot Melges a few times, but that was a while ago

This is good stuff. Thank you for all you offered. Makes me get itchy feet
Ireland often involves rain,, It's abit like the Amazon Rain Forest,,, except few trees and not much sun,,,that's what they say,but I think we have one of the greatest climates in the world,,no excessive cold in winter,, no excessive heat in summer and reasonably good rainfall.
I spent a few years in Boston some years back,, I found the climate difficult to cope with,, the extreme cold, heat, snow,,not for me!
I met an American couple in the summer down the village,,it was one of the warmest days we had,,they were both wearing Aran turtlenecks,, I was sweating in a tee-shirt that day!
Fot the price of that "Taxi", you could have hired a car for about 3 weeks,, there a few places that do really good deals with hire cars but not at the airports the roads are easy especially if you have satnav,,,, we even have automatics.
As I say you would be more than welcome your partner as well I'm a relaxed about life type that just wanders through,,it's an Irish thing!

What sort of pot is that you have the plant in,,is it somesort of hydroponic effort?

Back
Top Bottom