Northern Lights

Jr0ckz

420 Member
IMG_20181112_213839.jpg
IMG_20181112_213830.jpg

This girl has been in soil for 10 days. She seems to be doing well but I'm concerned about the temp being 62 in a 3 X 3 tent in the basement. LED is on 24 hours. I would like to hold off on heating the basement to ~ 72 until flower... Any suggestions?

Northern light auto?
Northern light is a strain, created to take colder climates. But fair is fair.. 62 is a bit too cold.
Looks like heating is needed.
Actually any flower need at least 1 hr of darkness to respond to light.
Autos do well in 18/6 ,20/4 and even 22/2.

She didn't like the transplant, too much water or too big of a pot? Got the temp up to 72.

Attachments

• IMG_20181119_213701.jpg
    IMG_20181119_213701.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20181119_214007.jpg
    IMG_20181119_214007.jpg
    803 KB · Views: 11
i’m growing her too! Northern light auto singleseedcentre 5 weeks - mine is auto under 24 hour light until the end.
I may try the next auto under a light time out but it’s hard as they are in with the photoperiods growing - that’s the next trick

Attachments

• 8D6DFE81-F091-4FAD-BFB6-D060EFD7DFC6.png
    8D6DFE81-F091-4FAD-BFB6-D060EFD7DFC6.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Water was coming out of the bottom of the smart pot so I thought it was maybe too much. There's a hanging fan above, oscillating fan below, and an exhaust fan at the bottom of the tent. Do I need to add an intake?

So I don't know your setup. One awesome feature of a tent is when the airflow is bad it shows you. In general you want the air pressure slightly lower in there so any leaks leak into the tent. Then the evacuation filter cleans all the air. But if you over do this you are stressing the vent fan. Tents show this by the flex in the walls. Using speed controllers you can dial the leak balance for the intake and vent fans. That extends motor life of fans.

So you want the fan speed in general set to evacuate air at the rate needed for the right temps which you can make from the light.

If your basement can support a tent, a room in a room really works well. That is ideal. Controlling in layers is the way to go.

The walls of the tent are definitely being sucked in. Should I reverse the exhaust fan so it's bringing fresh air in? I moved the fans inside the tent around to adjust airflow in the tent.

Also, should the soil be damp all over or just about a 2 inch radius around the plant? I was watering every other day but the soil appears dried out when I do water. Water was still dripping out of the smart pot after watering today.

Attachments

• IMG_20181121_181818.jpg
    IMG_20181121_181818.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20181121_181757.jpg
    IMG_20181121_181757.jpg
    926.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20181121_181753.jpg
    IMG_20181121_181753.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 9
There is a watering guide by Emily somewhere I think top of the FAQ.

There is actually a lot to understand about wayering but proper watering is about stressing the root ball so that it grows faster.

Cannabis is drought tolerant and can go days without water without damage. What you want to do is wait until the leaves drop from lack of water before you water again. Then you do a deep watering.

A deep watering will include 10% or more runoff. I use river rocks like shown below in my drip pans to hold the pot above the pan for the runoff. You want a good run of to flush out over built up nutes even when just using water.

So in the begining with a big enough pot you water once every 2 weeks and then it gradually gets more and more. In the heaviest part with a big plant you get up to watering every 3 days.

If you water often you create weak roots that are cry babies and the flowers are smaller. Even worse if you keep it wet all the time you can cause chemical problems like lockout.

The medium should dry out mostly if not entierly between waterings.

This is why you want a decent soil for veg in the begining that just works. Because you are not adding anything anyway.

On the fans...

The walls being sucked in a lot is bad. You want it just barely sucked in. Fans on both sides help to control heat.

Another way is extra vents.

All in all you want to be able to vary the vent speed to control the temps. You want the intake either easy flow or balanced with an intake fan to make the load right.

I try using extra vent paths and not an intake fan in smaller grows.

But all in all you want a minor negative pressure and the air moving out at the rate you need for your temps to work.

Savy?

Drought train your plants when there this young, your root ball will think you for it overwatering is a killer to plants You need to get temps over 72 to get optimum growth you want cooler temps towards the end of the cycle the plant thinks ok i need to throw on weight and finish up. Im growing northern lights autos and boy the smell is good. You want negative pressure in the room specially to control smell and to go directly threw carbon filter in the smell not to leak out of your tent if your worried about it . Keep humidity up around 75% during this stage till preflower then
Start reducing 5% everyweek after that. Its hard for roots to expand when temp is that low you should of got the autos if you wanted to grow that low of temps autos are ruderalis in which are found in russia in colder temps in would of been better suited for your grow environment

Thanks everyone for the advice, it's almost been two weeks and she's looking much better! Turning off the exhaust fan for 16 hours a day gets the temp up to 75-78. Watering once every three days into fox farm happy frog seems to make her happy, however I may try to go one more day before the next watering. Maybe I'll get a hygrometer in my stocking as I'm not sure what humidity levels are currently.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20181204_070041.jpg
    IMG_20181204_070041.jpg
    669.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20181202_202050.jpg
    IMG_20181202_202050.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20181129_211520.jpg
    IMG_20181129_211520.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20181127_213550.jpg
    IMG_20181127_213550.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 9
Thanks everyone for the advice, it's almost been two weeks and she's looking much better! Turning off the exhaust fan for 16 hours a day gets the temp up to 75-78. Watering once every three days into fox farm happy frog seems to make her happy, however I may try to go one more day before the next watering. Maybe I'll get a hygrometer in my stocking as I'm not sure what humidity levels are currently.

Cheers!
Thats so crucial to know what your humidity is running almost more important then the temp itself.. early in this stage they love a constant 65-70% humidity they will explode in growth its cheap for a hydrometer with temp like 9$ and a humidifier for 30$..
I dont like that your turning off the exhaust fan for that long your plants will thank you for fresh air constantly its like you breathing in and out of a bag basically in mother nature doesnt do this to her children either can u not get a heater in there?

Pick up a seedling heat mat. Place it in the tent, under the plants but in your case probably not touching them. Have it turn on for an hour or two twice a day, and that could raise the temps up enough, while keeping the fan on.

It will take some time to work these kinks out.
Yup i agree he needs to keep a constant temp if possible and have fresh air moving in constantly to im betting the humidity is high since the fan is off 16hrs and just a disaster for mold to start to. But he really needs to get incheck with the humidity asap

Cheers!
Hit full image when you load your pics to please bc we cant see them bc they are half pictures just above your first pic u upload it should say full image hit that if you will and hard to see threw he purple to

Back
Top Bottom