NorthernCosmos' First Indoor Soil Auto Grow: 2019

Thanks for chiming in, SQl2kGuy!

If you raise your light up about 6 inches ... they will stretch out a bit ... right now they are too short.
Done! It's up from 24" to 30" above the top of the plants. Good tip - it's consistent with what I've been reading; the plants will stretch for the light. I suppose that this light may be a bit much for two small plants, even at 75% power, so up it goes.

... but why are the leaves such a light green then?

Does the soil pH need to be brought up to about 6.8?
The light green may be the photo exposure - that light is intense. In person they look a little bit darker green, although a little uneven in colour across the leaves. Not entirely perfect, I take it, but not enough to rob me any sleep either... I've been reading a few of those diagnostic guides with pictures to identify the issues, but I found that it's hard to pinpoint anything from those - guess I need more knowledge and experience to judge that, which will be a rapid process with all of you helping out! :)

The soil is at 6.9 in one bucket and 6.8 in the other after today's water and nute feeding. The pH is up from that cheap peat with the addition of the compost and water it seems. I feared that was a tad high, but perhaps not critical(?). I could put a little lemon juice in the next feeding mixture (no pH adjusters available locally - I have to order everything from "far away" and may get some of that with the next order).

It's hot for seedlings but when she gets her feet set it wont bother her.
I suppose the temperature can be brought down by increasing the air extraction rate. The fan is on a dimmer and I've set it to a low'ish speed. I can also bring the ambient temperature in the room down a couple of degrees. When the light are off, for 6 hours every night, the temperature is at ca. 20°C (68°F) , and then gets quickly up to 24°C (75°F) at "sunrise".

Edit: Ninja'd by @SQl2kGuy :D
Yes, I shall look into getting some more specialized soil the next time around as well as some perlite. I'll take the learning I can get from this round, including messing around a bit with pH and feeding to keep the soil viable. And

Regarding the Quadlining tips in your previous posting, I'll at least try to do some simple LST - I've prepped the buckets with holes for the tie downs. Bigger buckets will probably have to wait. There's much to learn, and I feel I'll have to use "Low Stress Training" on myself, introducing the various techniques gradually to avoid a spinning head at this early stage :laughtwo:

Sorry my opinion and advice is different from yours @MrSauga ... I'm not trying to controversial... :)
Doesn't bother me any. Ultimately it's up to the grower to decide what is best for their grows. Your opinions are as good as anyones.

I suppose the temperature can be brought down by increasing the air extraction rate. The fan is on a dimmer and I've set it to a low'ish speed. I can also bring the ambient temperature in the room down a couple of degrees. When the light are off, for 6 hours every night, the temperature is at ca. 20°C (68°F) , and then gets quickly up to 24°C (75°F) at "sunrise".
Sorry, when we say "hot" we are referring to how charged the soil is with nutes. You have what is considered to be a hot soil.

Here they are, 24 hours later. I reckon it looks like they took the overfeeding in their stride - relatively speaking they've perked right up, lifting the leaves off the soil and gained in all dimensions. I raised the light a tiny bit more and it now sits at 32" above the canopy. I'll leave it like this for a while and see how it goes. Hopefully there'll be no 'news' for a few days now.

(yesterday on top, today at the bottom)

Ada_and_Wren_days_15_16.jpg

Yes, it was a bit of a bummer to watch the soil sink as I soaked it. The reflected light from the tent walls that would hit the sides and underside of the leaves would surely be worth something. I've considered a sheet of alu foil on top of the soil - should I do it?

Edit: I went ahead and did it. I think I heard both Ada and Wren rustling their leaves in delight :p

alu_foil_reflector.JPG

It's day 19 and the plants aren't getting any taller.... As you can see the lower leaves touches the pots.

They started out with the lights at 24", then they wen to 32" three days ago.

Why could this be? The strains? The conditions? Is there anything I can do?

I'm not after tall plants for the sake of it - I'd actually appreciate lower plants so that there's room for them and the light as they grow. However, if the lack of stretching is a sign of something not being right, I'd like to help them gain some height. Other than being short, they look fine to me.

Edit: the last feeding was the one on Wednesday, which was a bit early, at least as far as the nutes go. The surface soil around the stem is still moist.

IMG_9272.JPG

They look nice and strong down low. It could be they are still trying to get their feet settled in. As long as they keep producing nodes you're golden. Indicas tend to be short and stubby. Sativas have longer internodal growth. It the tops are still moist in a couple of days I would be concerned that there is not enough drainage holes or the water is not drying out for whatever reason.

I'll be drilling the next two pots a bit more (I'm, planning to do an overlap with two more plants at around day 35). These are the seeds, one Sativa dominant (left) and one Indica dominant (right), and being autos, there's Ruderalis in them of course: Amnesia and White Widow. The Amnesia (Sativa) has a slightly longer stem than the White Widow (Indica).

Lokking at lots of pictures of autos, I see that many of them sit very low to the ground. There's a reason for the term "Lowryder" I guess. Right, I'll just let them do their own thing for a while more, waiting for some branches that can be tried down for LST.

I'll be drilling the next two pots a bit more
If I was to recommend one thing to someone it would be fabric pots. Cheap, they work well so you don't overwater, they let the roots breathe and did I mention they were cheap? If you can, try and buy a few 5gals for your autos. You can fit 7gals in a 4x4 but autos wouldn't need more than a 5gal for growing.

I'm sorry. I didn't see that you requested my company.
Speed holes! They certainly help to dry the soil more evenly. The buckets that I am using are really tall. They are the typical plastic 5 gallon. The bottoms were staying very moist but the top half was dry as a bone.
I'm actually watering them every three days now instead of once a week with topping them off. It works better IMO.

Back
Top Bottom