NorthernCosmos' First Indoor Soil Auto Grow: 2019

OK! I was thinking about doing just that, but I'm too unsure about the potential for spread - I mean there are some spores somewhere... But as you say, a little selective cutting followed by washing the good buds might be just fine. Should H2O2 be used in those cases, or does it not kill mold spores?
They cleaned up nice for me then a wash including the h2o2. I smokes the last of it last week almost 2 years old. I could see there was no more rot when I was done spraying. The rest of the bud was alive looking. It was an outdoor plant and the nugs weren't thick. If that matters.

On day 53 for the Babushka Black autos they've already formed fat colas. These plants looks set finish up in a hurry. Kalashnikov Seeds says 55 - 60 days. I'm guessing maybe they'll go to 70 days before I'm happy with the trichomes.

Yesterday I dropped two new seeds:
- Purple Haze auto from Sensible Seeds
- Blueberry Express auto from Dispensario Seeds

With that I've diversified the seedbanks with three new ones in the tent. Come to think of it, I really should grow them i pairs of same seeds to see if phenotypes vary as much as they have done for me so far. I know very little about the various sources of seeds and their different qualities and outcomes, so new banks/strains are very exciting!

Tent_31_07_2020.JPG

That's right, the humidifier is off. The ambient RH is at 58% right now. It's been between 65% and 55% since the last harvest went into the drying box.

I jarred the Blackberry Gum on day 7 of the drying, and at that point some colas was starting to smell cured(!?). The Stardawg is still in the drying box at day 10. I've never had a drying go that long, but then again, my problem has been too little RH and maybe a tad quick drying in the winter months. Think I'll jar Stardawg today, because I'm getting jittery about the optimal drying-to-jarring point... :slide:

Sounds great Cosmos! It's just to keep experimenting until you find you r favorite method of drying and curing. First drying I made when growing perpetual was not so successful in my mind, I vacuum packed the weed way to early for long term storage so it got fermented in the process. Very potent though but extremely hard to grind up, destroyed plastic grinders... Lol.

Had too much weed back then to keep track of every bag... :laughtwo:

I'm getting there, juggling the jars... almost relieved when I have to dump some moldy and questionable buds in the compost :p

I'm struggling a little to get as good a cure as the first plants I grew. They were drying at less than 50% RH most of the time and now I can't get the RH down to that level. That would be the only difference I can think of - not dry enough weed... Maybe I'll try the paper-bag-in-the-fride drying method the next time.

Composting buds... that's a new one, people that can't grow would go crazy over your compost man! :laughtwo:

Life for a grower is hard during these summer months, RH and temps are a real problem in all stages... only positive thing is seeds pop for nothing. Paper bag / welpap is very good for drying first stage, even better is if you can suck your intake air through it to get the air moving and in the same process scrub smell away even if you haven't got nosy neighbors its a great way to get initial drying done fast and then let it re soak in closed containers.

Sorry to hear about your moldy buds. Is there a way for you to run a dehumidifier?

I‘m currently doing the Low & Slow in the fridge. I have my buds in wide mouth mason jars with plastic screen over the openings.

I also have a digital hygrometer on the racks in my fridge. I have the fridge hooked up to a temperature controller. My hygrometer has blue tooth and internal memory storage that links to an app on my phone. When I sync it, it gives me two line graphs, one for the temp and the other for the rH. My temperature averages around 45*F. The difference between the high & low temps is about 2*F. My rH averages around 24%. The difference between the high & low rH around 5%.

I roll/tumble the jars every morning. After a little over 3 weeks the rH in the jars is still around 85%. I’ve read in this thread that it may take as long as 4 weeks for the rH to come down to the proper range in the low 60’s. I think mine are going to take a little longer, especially since I now have buds from 3 plants in there; about 20 jars.

My fridge is a dedicated ”420” fridge. The low & slow is all I do in the fridge. It is a regular size over/under (freezer on top, fridge on bottom) frost free fridge.

Here’s a good synopsis of the L&S process on post #337.

After I get my buds to the proper rH, I’m going to do a “cold cure” per post #2606.

I was reading a bit in the Low And Slow thread via your posting in the "Just canned bud RH" thread earlier today :)

There's a humidifier available - a power hungry beast. The room where it all happens isn't closed off from other rooms though, so perhaps it'll be ineffective. I may try it the next round, just for the drying if needed.

Not sure I'm ready for Low And Slow just yet.... I'd like to master one method well enough to consistently get decent results. I like to learn about these things anyway, to keep my future grow/dry/cure options open.

It's day 58 since seed in soil for the Babushka Blacks. The amber is just about to start appearing on the calyxes, so maybe 3-5 days more to go. They have some nice dark purple edges on the upper leaves. Smells like candy :yummy:

If the Babushkas are indeed ready on day 61-63, they'll be my fastest finishing autos so far, and the first ones to almost hit the seed banks spec of 55-60 days:

Day_58_Bohdana.JPG

Bettina the Blueberry Express auto, looking good at day 7 since seed in soil, it broke soil 4 days ago. It may just look like I'll get a little better stretch this time around, having increased the distance to the light from 24 to 30 inches for the seedlings:

Day_7_Bettina.JPG

Sadly, Bettina's sister, Pipi the Purple Haze, is nowhere to be seen. That strengthens my silly-theory[1] that expensive seeds are bad (based on real life data), or perhaps it's my cheap seed bank that's good :p I've put another Purple Haze in water today, so we'll see...

[1] It's not a theory, not even a hypothesis, just me being very silly. I hope...

Thanks, Vet! :)

Loving those stealth cab grows of yours - growing in style. And there really is to limit to grow styles, that I'm learning around here :nerd-with-glasses:It's impressive to see what you can do in such a tiny space!
So many options with this hobby and these forums are great.

It's day 63 for the Babushka Blacks. As usual they seem set to go a little longer than I thought. It could well be their last feeding though - decision making tomorrow... It will be very empty in the tent when the Babushkas move out, with only two seedlings. I'm on it though, cooking soil for 2 new plants to move in a in 3-4 weeks

I had a visitor this weekend, and was convinced to break out the Stardawg and Blackberry Gum that's only a week into the cure. It was not harsh at all and has started to get some nice smells when you break the buds apart. The Stardawg was worth all the trouble (two duds before the last one decided to grow up...) as it's quite potent, with a heady high.

The Babushka's trichome density has increased a little (there's a little more amber than evident in these two pics):

Day_62_Bohdana.JPG

Day_62_Bohdana2.JPG

And the second attempt with the Purple Haze went well - say hello to Pippi II :

Day_3_Pippi_II.JPG

Here's Pippi's namesake - I expect great things of this little flower :cheesygrinsmiley:

5788e8ce2378ef6049ddf7c64450757094a09c05_pippilyfterlillagubben.jpg

Sorry I missed out on some updates man... life has thrown a few not so tasty bones to me though.

The Babushka's trichome density

Very, very nice pics Cosmos... Looks great!

Here's Pippi's namesake - I expect great things of this little flower :cheesygrinsmiley:

She will probably be as strong as she is nice... :)

Now trying out mulch/bark

Looks great, hope it works as great as it looks. :blunt:

Keep' em dogies rollin Cosmos!

Sorry I missed out on some updates man... life has thrown a few not so tasty bones to me though.
Life has a nasty habit of intervening... nothing to be sorry about. There are more tasty bones right down the road for you - you and Ginza will be rolling in them tasty bones! :)

Those Babushka's seem to want to go longer than I thought... as usual, and I should know it by now. They seemed to grow and ripen so quickly, but the ambering of the trichs is taking its sweet time. They're slowly getting furrier overall too, so there's really no hurry.

Planning for the next pair of plants, I'm thinking OG Kush since that's the last strain I have in stock, but not yet tried.

Life has a nasty habit of intervening... nothing to be sorry about. There are more tasty bones right down the road for you - you and Ginza will be rolling in them tasty bones! :)

Oh I know but I'm having much trouble with seeing what's behind that next bend, I'm more in Ginzas way of thinking... right here right now. But I'm trying to see the bright sides as well... One thing is good and that is my insurance firm finally sounded off and I should get a notice in the mail in a few days about final payout regarding income loss I made this past years, Its only 25% of it but it should non the less be a neat little sum.... wounder what craZyness that will lead to... :laughtwo:

Those Babushka's seem to want to longer than I thought... as usual, and I should know it by now. They seemed to grow and ripen so quickly, but the ambering of the trichs is taking its sweet time. They're slowly getting furrier overall too, so there's really no hurry.

Planning for the next pair of plants, I'm thiking OG Kush since that's the last strain I have in stock, but not yet tried.

Babushka's sound very kushy so they shouldn't take that long to finish... Kush is with my experience a very fast growing and finishing plant. Don't remember what streaks I used to have on them but no longer than 90 days from clone to cutting down and that's Photo.

Back
Top Bottom