NorthernCosmos' First Indoor Soil Auto Grow: 2019

There's nothing to be sorry for! I'm happy for every new thing I learn :D

Yeah, there's a little clear still on top. I want this plant to be the most spaced out and musical thing, so the clears gotta go!

Edit: I also think it has potential for packing on and getting fatter overall. It's filling out every day, so I'll give it at least a week, maybe two - but the trichomes up top will have to tell when. Definitely don't want it to go over the edge either.

It's day 13 for Big Jack Hair auto and day 5 for Tiny Jack Hair auto. I'm going to start hitting Big Jack with the MC in a day or two - planning to get it used to a rich feed, with Tiny Jack to follow. Hoping that these are the start of getting me back to the normal schedule and forest-level in the tent:

Edit: My days count is from seed in soil - I do feel that they have started when there's a root. I know most (?) others count from first day with the plant above soil, but I might not even be there to observe when that happens... So my day 13 and 5 could be more like 9 and 1 for some.

Day_13_JH2_5_JH1.JPG

Here are a cople of bractoscopy pics of the OG Kush fauxto. It has fewer pistils than I used to seeing, but there's no lack of trichomes. Many of the few pistils to be seen are brown/red, so not quite youngsters. The trichome colours seem to range from clear to a little amber on the bracts. Reflections from the bright growing lights and the microscope can make some trichs seem clear when they're actually not.

So a mixed bunch there, with lots of amber lower down (no pics), is making me a little uncertain - but in the main, I still say upwards to 2 weeks.

Day_104_Olga_1.JPG

Day_104_Olga_2.JPG

Tiny Jack, about a centimeter across today, seems to have trichomes already on the first set of leaves after two days above the soil - or isn't it really trichomes? :

Day_6_JH1.JPG

With reference to this:
I thought it would be best to make a statement to say that the strain name "Jack Hair" is as specified and printed on the package from the supplier of the seeds - it's not an auto correct or spelling mistake.

:nerd-with-glasses:
:laughtwo:
:Rasta:

Here are a cople of bractoscopy pics of the OG Kush fauxto. It has fewer pistils than I used to seeing, but there's no lack of trichomes. Many of the few pistils to be seen are brown/red, so not quite youngsters. The trichome colours seem to range from clear to a little amber on the bracts. Reflections from the bright growing lights and the microscope can make some trichs seem clear when they're actually not.

So a mixed bunch there, with lots of amber lower down (no pics), is making me a little uncertain - but in the main, I still say upwards to 2 weeks.

Day_104_Olga_1.JPG

Day_104_Olga_2.JPG

Tiny Jack, about a centimeter across today, seems to have trichomes already on the first set of leaves after two days above the soil - or isn't it really trichomes? :

Day_6_JH1.JPG
Awesome photography.
Just thought I would return the favour and come over to your thread and have a catch up.
Well impressed so far.
I will be lurking around from now on :thumb:

Just thought I would return the favour and come over to your thread and have a catch up.
Pleased to have you!

Man... there are too many journals I'd like to follow. So many great grows, so much good info, endless variety and good banter too.

In the end I just have to pick a few to follow, or I'd be reading journals 24/7. Perhaps a self-cloning operation is in order - then I could tend to several more grows and read all the journals! :cheesygrinsmiley:

OK - the trichome colours of the OG Kush fauxto are mapped out.

Starting up top, I think there is enough amber now, and no more clears:

Day_108_Olga_2.JPG

The middle fan/sugar leaves are very amber:

Day_108_Olga_3.JPG

The lower and outer "ring" of small colas are cloudy to amber, with the odd clear:

Day_108_Olga_lower_2.JPG

The inner nugs, where light is more scarce are mostly cloudy, with a little clear:

Day_108_Olga_inner_3.JPG

I'm afraid of overdoing it, and I can survive a few clear trichomes on the lower-inner buds. Whichever way I go about it, there'll be a few days left, with the dark period and the initial drying, so this I reckon the last few clears may go cloudy anyway.

It just got a full 2.5 liter of MC @1.9g/l which lasts for 2 days, and got moved it into darkness. I'm thinking just leaving it there for 36 hours, and down it goes...

What do you folks think?

Yes, I can't wait to have a taste - this is so exciting - my first photo :yummy:

And it was "easy" too... I was so afraid of light leaks, but there are no sign of stress or hermying. Forgot to mention the timing, its day 108 since seed, 49 since flip and 39-41 for flowering. So a relatively short post flip and flowering period, I take it. Isn't it usually more like 60 days flowering?

What do you folks think?
Judging by your “mapped out” description, it’s probably ready. You’re never gonna get that perfect, uniform, everything is exactly perfect look, well not in my book anyway.

Isn't it usually more like 60 days flowering?
Strains are all different and it depends on when you count the first day of flower. In my limited experience, if I count the first day I see pistils as Day 1 of flower, then the flowering time usually falls within the breeder specs. I’m sure that things like type of light, heat, humidity, grow medium, nutes, etc. may affect flower time too.

Olga the OG Kush fauxto has been chopped at day 110 since seed, 51 since flip and 41-43 since flowering. That was a next level chop & trim experience ; took me 3 hours. One last look at her:

Day_110_Olga_2.JPG

Three grades of trim: the biggest fan leaves with no sugar, leaves with some sugar and the most sugary leaves and clippings. An dthen there are some popcorns/tasters in the alu tray. Not sure if I'm keeping the fan leaves, as freezer space is scarce and they may do nothing for making hash/edibles(?).

Day_110_Olga_5.JPG

Hung to dry:

Day_110_Olga_6.JPG

Congrats on the harvest Northern! And congrats on conquering the fauxto. :Rasta:

Congrats on the harvest Northern! And congrats on conquering the fauxto. :Rasta:
(my bold)

Yes!
Like a dragon slayer!
Like the first man in orbit!
Like bottoming out the Mariana Trench!

:goof:

I'm looking forward to the next photo! However, that's not happening before I have a facility for it that doesn't involve moving the whole bush more than a hundred times. I also need that closet to hang up my shirts and trousers... :p Oh, and the seed stash is full of exciting auto strains, so that's still going to be the staple around here for a while.

Two things that I learned:

- Photos (at least this one...) aren't nearly as critical w.r.t. absolute darkness and light/dark timing as I had come to believe. Stands to treason too, since there's varying moonlight in the wild.

- Big plants like that can use more defoliation earlier on than I did, particularly "inside" the bush to let some light down there. This time the inner/lower buds had too much shadow for too long and didn't grow or ripen anywhere near the level of the tops or the outer/lower buds.

Amazing looking harvest NC...I'm glad you committed to the schlep even if only for this one time! Tons of beautiful flowers hanging in there. Shirts and trousers can wait. :high-five:
freezer space is scarce and they may do nothing for making hash/edibles(?).
Same here! I was taking a lot of room in the freezer for fans because it takes bags and bags of them to get enough THC to make edibles from. Now I just dry them out and toss them in a box for salve.

Amazing looking harvest NC..
Thanks, Shed! It goes without saying that it broke all my tent records. Well, it remains to test it for potency, but I have hope :Rasta:

Now I just dry them out and toss them in a box for salve.
That's interesting - using dry material, stalks and all. I have a bucket full of old dried leaves, a stack of stems, and a few roots. I wonder if such salves would soothe psoriasis on my mum's hands - it's debilitating at times. Got to do a little reading now. BTW, the CBD 20:1 gets chopped this evening, then a few days of drying and its medicine time! :)

Edit: a general update:

As for other things happening in the tent, the Banana Monkey auto is faring better than I hoped at day 82 from seed in soil. While not exactly big, it has been steadily working on filing out the colas.

And that smell... it has the most exotic fruity smell - so good that I'm buying more of these just because of that (it's also supposed to pack a punch). I also want to see a Banana Monkey in full size!

1615719610517.jpeg

Julia & Jolie the Jack Hairs (;)) at day 13 and 21 since seed in soil. The one to the right has had a couple of 0.6g/l MC feeds by now, responding nicely. I may have to start thing about the up-potting the big one:

1615719610578.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom