NorthernCosmos' First Indoor Soil Auto Grow: 2019

It has a mix of 4 LED colours. To the eye its appears as bright sunshine. Histograms and white balance for photos indicates that it's slightly red leaning in total. This is the spectrum specs for the TSL 2000:

TSL_2000_spectrum.jpg

Ah, yes... Some quick mental integration says 12% blue (below 480nm)... :nerd-with-glasses: Well, it appears to play its role in producing juicier buds than I dared hope for, even if not giving optimal efficiency for all phases of the grow.

I'd fancy an even fancier (heh...) light, adjustable/switchable colour temps, even better LEDs and PSUs and all that [1] - but hey, I'm barely past the starting line :p

[1] Where can I order Ikaros II?

That's absolutely a very descent light to start with growing Cosmos, the idea I got before asking you is the tendency your plants seem to have for developing those "salad" big leafs... I'm not trying to get you to spend more money, I was unsure about the specs of that light and thought I ask before I made assumptions about it. My own experience is more blue in the light is more stretch and bigger leafs. Now you tell me its just about 12% of total light and I'm really confused, wounder how they got that percentage before printing that light. But it still would be a reason for your short plants maybe, specially if those hyper hyper red are on direct from seedling on auto plants. :hmmmm:

When I use blue I use 100% blue in veg and no blue in bloom, I used blue before in bloom and it was with great results and was just about 10-20% of total light as well. So It's been back of my head to maybe place 40w of 4000K again in bloom specially when running photos that doo tend to stretch first week or two when put in 12/12 cycle before developing in to bloom state.
:reading420magazine:

Too much on my mind maybe, just a thought about your plants Cosmos. Don't mind my rabble... :laughtwo:

:blunt:

Too much on my mind maybe, just a thought about your plants Cosmos. Don't mind my rabble...
I don't mind the rabble at all - bring it on! :D

The blue percentage is just me looking at the spectrum and judging the blue portion to have 12% of the energy under its curve. I may be way off...

I would welcome a little more stretch. At least so that the bottom leaves clears the edges of the buckets. It would be very cool to haver a variable spectrum light, so one could play around a bit. I know there are lights with veg/bloom switches, but how about a programmable light that can fade smoothly over time from 6500K to 2500K - Ikaros III?

I don't mind the rabble at all - bring it on! :D

Great! This new meds make me talk to myself like never before so I'm glad someone is listening for once. Lol

The blue percentage is just me looking at the spectrum and judging the blue portion to have 12% of the energy under its curve. I may be way off...

Ok but it sounds like something Jupiter hydro would think is a descent alround light. :)

I would welcome a little more stretch. At least so that the bottom leaves clears the edges of the buckets. It would be very cool to haver a variable spectrum light, so one could play around a bit. I know there are lights with veg/bloom switches, but how about a programmable light that can fade smoothly over time from 6500K to 2500K - Ikaros III?

I've seen commercial lights with even cloud simulation with dimming diodes to make the plant get some "rest" between light sessions, Ikaros III will be having Beethoven playing during day and wave sounds during night to promote better coloring and potency against specific neck pain due to stupid things done in the past and even prevent more stupid things that could evolve in the future due to more crazy ideas............

Well back to reality CaLmsWeeD, but sure its should be pretty straight forward making them dim in a even random generated pattern with a simple ATmega circuit and simulate raise and dawn of light. Read some stuff about people using only hyper red for 30min before other lights go on and same while shutting down. This is to wake the plant up easy and nighting them down to sleep, its said to give them more effective photosynthesis and get more productive during day cycle. This is actually even proven I think.

It most def would set the plant in a more stress less environment and it would guaranteed produce more from it, add a dialed in feeding system and its a perfect combination. But it takes time to build a system like this and the most expensive MW drivers there is with pwm dimmers. Probably 3000kr just for those, but that is probably the most expensive part of it as well. The light strips are cheap and the electronics needed for controlling this is just a few 100kr's.

I'm chopping my two first Northern Lights later today :yummy:

That means I'm preparing to sow two new seeds tomorrow. I have a few strains to select from, and I want to try a strain I haven't grown yet. I also think I'll do two of the same, to get good synchronization in my overlapping grow. I've boiled it down to:
  • OG Kush Auto from Seed Stockers
  • Purple Haze Auto from Original Sensible Seeds
  • Babushka Black Auto from Kalashnikov Seeds
Whaddya reckon? I'm leaning towards Purple Haze or Babushka since those are from seed banks that I haven't tried before.

Oh man, reading OG Kush made me remember all those runs I cloned that one. I must have pulled a kilo of weed from that one strain. :p

:cheesygrinsmiley:Harvest on Svenskaflaggans dag! Great bro hope it goes well!

:lot-o-toke:

Done! Northern lights Natalya aka Blackie aka NL#4 and Natasha aka Shorty aka NL#1 have been harvested!

The black leafed one had markedly higher trichome density than the green one. Not the highest yield - looking at around 60g for Blackie and a few g more for Shorty.

The trays with Blackie, Shorty and trim for saving:

Blacie_Shorty_chop.JPG

Blacie_Shorty_dry.JPG

Looks awesome Cosmos, you are really getting the hang of this now. Tents almost full all the time and jars keep stacking with weed, awesome feeling right? :)

I should print you a kief separator to use with all that trim you got saved up now, you keep it in the fridge?

Even if the yield wasn't great, that black one in particular is juicy alright. Looking very much forward to tasting this in a month or two from now - I'm adamant to let it cure properly first.

With yet another chop I've got yet more sugary trim that goes into the freezer. I have a mix of trim from 12 plants and 5 strains in there now. The plan is to get a set of bubble hash filter bags. Or make some edibles, or...

The two other tall (well, in my tent 40cm is tall... :p) Northern Lights get their last feeding on Tuesday and are coming down on Friday - at least that's the plan. With that they'll be 97 days old from seed. The just chopped ones were 91 days from seed. That's a good bit over the projected 75 days from the seed supplier. Not a problem though, I have time to wait for that amber to appear...
So yeah, I have more than enough in the jars already, and it keeps building up - and yes, it's an awesome feeling! :yummy:

Patience may not be the governing factor here. It could have to do with having become very comfortable, almost blasé, with the luxury of a multi-strain well-cured stash to draw on :cheesygrinsmiley:

I've read about and watched videos with Cannoli - rewatching this one as we speak. I'm ready for the bubbles! Well, I need to get those bags first... and saving up more trim too.

Back
Top Bottom