Not for a long time

Dugan

Hello,
I have not smoked pot in nearly 25 years (this isn't a troll, keep reading). So my question to myself is, what am I doing here? I have to put it on the shoulders of Prop 64, and I don't even live in Colorado. I smoked a lot when I was younger and tried to quit many times. I finally quit when I was mugged one night about a block from my apartment and a block from where I scored my dope on the street corner. I finally grasped the fact that I was contributing to a criminal enterprise that was destroying my neighborhood. I decided that I wouldn't support the black market anymore. That was the catalyst that kept me clean.

Now, thanks to Prop 64, I don't have to buy pot from the black market, it's legal (in case you haven't heard). I got curious when seeing the news stories on January 1. I started reading a lot of stuff on the web. I knew medical marijuana existed in California, in fact I voted for Prop 215 in 1996. My ignorant self thought it was just for Glaucoma and chemotherapy patients. The more I read and watched videos, etc, the more I realized how it was also in effect legal in my state. All I have to do is go to a doctor and get a recommendation. I guess I was living in an alternate reality for the past several years.

So, thanks to Prop 215 and SB 420 I can grow my own cannabis. That's really exciting, and really scary. I've lived vicariously throughout many of the grow journals on this site. That's what the internet was designed for. People sharing knowledge and helping each other.

You all know the exciting part, but what about the scary part? To repeat myself, I haven't smoked in almost 25 years. When I smoked I was a part time waiter with no girlfriend. I quit and a year later I was the restaurant manager and married. I now am a self employed computer programmer with a nice house in the suburbs and a daughter who goes to a prestigious university. It's one of the most expensive colleges in the country. If I start smoking again I'm afraid I'll loose my business and not be able to get my kid thru the next two years of school. I don't want to let her down, but I also really want to smoke a joint. I haven't had the urge in years and years. Thanks Prop 64.

What I really want to do is grow some killer weed, like the plants I see on this site. I want to put them alongside my tomato plants and watch them grow. I guess I just need to strap on a backbone and tell my wife I'm going to become compliant with SB 420 and grow cannabis. Wish me luck.

PS
My name's not Dugan, that's what my friends and I called joints way back when.

Hello,
I have not smoked pot in nearly 25 years (this isn't a troll, keep reading). So my question to myself is, what am I doing here? I have to put it on the shoulders of Prop 64, and I don't even live in Colorado. I smoked a lot when I was younger and tried to quit many times. I finally quit when I was mugged one night about a block from my apartment and a block from where I scored my dope on the street corner. I finally grasped the fact that I was contributing to a criminal enterprise that was destroying my neighborhood. I decided that I wouldn't support the black market anymore. That was the catalyst that kept me clean.

Now, thanks to Prop 64, I don't have to buy pot from the black market, it's legal (in case you haven't heard). I got curious when seeing the news stories on January 1. I started reading a lot of stuff on the web. I knew medical marijuana existed in California, in fact I voted for Prop 215 in 1996. My ignorant self thought it was just for Glaucoma and chemotherapy patients. The more I read and watched videos, etc, the more I realized how it was also in effect legal in my state. All I have to do is go to a doctor and get a recommendation. I guess I was living in an alternate reality for the past several years.

So, thanks to Prop 215 and SB 420 I can grow my own cannabis. That's really exciting, and really scary. I've lived vicariously throughout many of the grow journals on this site. That's what the internet was designed for. People sharing knowledge and helping each other.

You all know the exciting part, but what about the scary part? To repeat myself, I haven't smoked in almost 25 years. When I smoked I was a part time waiter with no girlfriend. I quit and a year later I was the restaurant manager and married. I now am a self employed computer programmer with a nice house in the suburbs and a daughter who goes to a prestigious university. It's one of the most expensive colleges in the country. If I start smoking again I'm afraid I'll loose my business and not be able to get my kid thru the next two years of school. I don't want to let her down, but I also really want to smoke a joint. I haven't had the urge in years and years. Thanks Prop 64.

What I really want to do is grow some killer weed, like the plants I see on this site. I want to put them alongside my tomato plants and watch them grow. I guess I just need to strap on a backbone and tell my wife I'm going to become compliant with SB 420 and grow cannabis. Wish me luck.

PS

:bravo: and :welcome: to :420: just read my signature. we only live once, just do you..... :peace:

Hi Dugan and welcome to :420:

Great intro and I to urge you to get growing your dream. Below is a pic I just took this morning of a little hybrid strain I produced myself and tacked onto my current grow to evaluate it. It is growing right next to my peppers, sage, oregano and, yes, tomatoes :)

If you have any questions ask away. There are also some links in the New Member Start Links thread you may find helpful.

:peace:
May18Hybrid.jpg

Welcome to the forums. Most people who are successful aren't going to lose it all because they smoked a few joints or even grow Cannabis. You're successful because you are smart not because you stopped smoking. I'm sure your business will be fine and your daughter will continue to attend that great school.

Hello,

PS

:welcome: to :420: Dugan. We are glad that you are here. What are you doing here? You are here to learn how to grow some killer bud my friend. It's really exciting, and really scary is true for the first while I guess. I still find it exciting. Not scary at all. If I am in compliance with my state laws and do not try to figure out how to scam the system it is all good. The people that try to work an angle or a seemingly loophole are the ones that usually get in hot water.

"If I start smoking again I'm afraid I'll loose my business and not be able to get my kid thru the next two years of school. I don't want to let her down, but I also really want to smoke a joint." My response to you is; you should know yourself quite well and be totally honest with yourself. Do you have an addictive personality? Are you addicted to alcohol or another substance? Do you have self-control? I have been smoking since I was a teenager. I had an extremely successful career, have a lovely home, wonderful family, and am now retired. It is all about being honest with yourself and having goals. Cannabis never interfered with my life. There were times when I did not smoke because it was not in my best interest to do so. But it never was an issue with me. I believe that if you gave it up a long time ago then you have the ability to control your usage. It is ok to get high. Just don't stay totally blazed and let your life go to pot. :rofl: Millions of users are using it responsibly. I feel that you would fall into that category as well.

I recommend that if you want to grow some nice bud, then by all means do so. And if you want to get high then you should do so. When I was young I was always shooting for totally ripped. Now I do a single toke or perhaps two and call it good. I only go for a pleasant buzz now and not to get stoned. I nice light buzz allows me to remain completely functional. I would encourage you to grow a plant and try it out. You can always quit again if it is not for you. Have fun my friend and remain true to yourself. :thumb:

Well I got my seeds (ordered from a sponsor of this site) yesterday. I was going to plant them today but I remembered that today, July 4, 2014 is the 25th anniversary of the day I finally succeeded quitting smoking pot. I finished my dime bag on July 4, 1989 and have never scored weed again. I do confess to smoking three times in the ensuing months but on that day, Independence Day, I became independent from pot. So what in the world am I doing with seeds?!?!

I decided to tell the Mrs. that I panned on exercising my privileges under CA Prop 215, and get a medical recommendation so I can grow some cannabis plants. As suspected, she was not very happy. "Are you gonna become a pot head again?" She never even saw me smoke. In fact our first date was three nights after I gave it up. She knew me when I was a pot head but she never knew I was a pot head, so go figure.

Anyway, I'm going to have to work on her a bit. So my question is how long can you keep seeds before planting then? Theoretically several months without degradation? In nature the plant makes them in the Autumn and the seeds don't germinate until the following Spring. I have no idea how old they were when I got them. They may be a year or two old already. Who knows.

Peace and Happy Independence Day.

Back
Top Bottom