NotaDrinker - Blue Domino - Feminized Seed & Scrog

NotaDrinker

Hello All.
My name is Ryan aka NotaDrinker and I am about to jump in for the third time.
My first two grows were not actually documented here a 420Magazine, but I have been taking part in Granny420's feminized seed production thread found here:
Producing Feminized Seeds Using Colloidal Silver

I have both successfully grown from clone and seed, and I have successfully bred for feminized seeds.

My first grow was from clones of a strain known and bred locally here in Ottawa as Blue Domino. It is a cross of Blue Indica and Black Domino and also has a bit of Northern Lights in the mix.
As my first grow, I was pleased to harvest 6.5 ounces cured off of 6 small plants that gave me a .5 gram per watt harvest. They were LST'd and never reached more that 2 foot in height.

My second grow was solely dedicated to producing feminized seeds from two strains from VISC. Fucking Incredible and an Unknown strain from their potpourri mix. Both grown from seed and selfed using colloidal silver, this was a complete success which supplied me with many seeds for future use.

It was my intention to sow these feminized seeds in my third grow, but I have changed my mind. Instead, I have an opportunity to get a few more Blue Domino clones from which I would again like to flower some, and self others to produce some more feminized seeds from this strain which is somewhat unknown on account of being locally bred. But also, I am feeling a bit nostalgic in that it was the first strain I ever worked with and that I really enjoyed the smoke from it. Very fruity and tasty, and well sized bud structure which I would really like to have for future grows.

All that being said, I am building my screen and slightly modifying a smaller grow box for which I will flower them in. And I prepping my "breeding box" for the one or two which I will again use colloidal silver on.

I will follow up in the coming days with other information like growing medium, lighting ect, and I will detail the simple steps I use to make and use my CS.

This grow, as with any other I may do, is strictly for personal use only.
Thank you all for accepting me here at 420Magazine. I am in fact coming from another related forum looking for greener pastures so to speak, and from reading around I can tell that this place is the place to be.

Best Wishes and See you Soon!

Ryan.

Re: NotaDrinker - Blue Domino - Feminized Seed n Scrog

Hello again.
Here I have some information on my Scrog Box. Pics first.

100_40201.JPG

100_40221.JPG

100_40211.JPG

100_40231.JPG

100_40271.JPG

100_4029.JPG

As you can see in these pics, the screen and its base and support are able
to be removed from the box. The plants and pots are actually supported by
the screens base. This means very easy access to any part of the screen.
It also means that I can raise and lower the whole thing at will to get
everything as close to those flouros as possible.

The lighting in the box is pretty simple. I dismanteled a few light fixtures
and mounted the parts in the box by hand. I put 10 tubes in there.
These tubes are each 32 watt and they are putting out roughly 2800 lumens a
peice. 320watts @ 28000 Lumens @ 4100K Temp.

I used these lights for my first grow on this same strain, however the area
was larger, there was 2 additional tubes, it was a LST not a scrog, there was
6 plants instead of 2 and I only vegged for about 2 weeks from when I received
the clones. I got 6.5 ounces cured which worked out to about .5 grams per watt.
I really think this 2 plant scrog, vegged until full, is going to atleast
match that harvest.

The box is about 48 inches wide, 16 inches deep and about 24 inches tall. So that's
Just about 5 square feet of surface area. Those lights spreading those lumens pretty
evenly will put me at just about 5600 lumens per square foot. Not too shabby.

The screen has a total of 120 squares of 2 square inch sections. Painted all in flat
white paint, however I am itching to get myself some mylar for above the tubes
to help reflect some of that light back down.
I did put some tinfoil up there, but I know it would be better with true mylar. I also know my dad has an old busted big screen that he has taken apart and will likely never put back together. Inside of it is a perfect sheet of mylar used to reflect the light from the projector bulbs....
Considering the distance from the screen to the lights, I don't think mylar on the sides will be of any benefit, but if there is any left when I am done with the top,,,
we'll just have to wait and see.

I think that is about it for now. Any input, positive or negative, is welcomed.

Best Wishes.

I will be checking you out, I followed your success with your Femd seeds and am looking forward to how your seeds perform. I learned a lot from reading your posts. I know you said you will not be using you FI seeds yet but I also want to see how it goes with this new strain. Thanks

Correction. Blue Domino or Blue Domina, I am not exactly sure anymore what the strain name is. I have to make sure that the next time I talk to my guy, that I am straight enough to remember. Also, the genetics. Turn out it is not Blue Indica, instead, it is Blue Berry. Blue Berry and Black Domino --> Blue Domino/a. Sorry for that confusion.

Thanks for the comments. I really expect good things from this scrog. Clones are under the lights now and veg has begun. I will be back with pics in the coming days.

Best Wishes.

A few pics of the clones, just shy of 4 days into veg.

Current4.JPG

Side_21.JPG

Side_1.JPG

They are doing ok, a little droopy, but I expect them do perk up in the next few days.
I will transplant them at about 2 weeks, so until then there is nothing to see.
A couple days or so after being transplanted, I will put them under the screens. The last time I grew this strain, the shoots came up from everywhere. They love the light. Should be fun keeping them all down ;).

Best Wises.

Yikes, those looks a little sickly bro, but I am sure there will perk up. Everything else looks awesome! Gonna follow this for sure!

I will follow up in the coming days with other information like growing medium, lighting ect, and I will detail the simple steps I use to make and use my CS.

Hi NotaDrinker!

I'm wondering if you could explain your method to make and use CS, I'm very interested and your success in this can be replicated.

Cheers
Mojox

So I am just going with the usual Slow Release Pre-Fertilized Miracle Grow 14-14-14 potting mix, with a little bit extra Enriched Miracle Grow Perlite. The same thing I used in my first grow, except I am using less Perlite this time. For flower, I will use supplemental nutrients as the potting mix loses its ability to feed the plants.
Transplanting went well, and I will be placing them under the screen within the next week. I will try to get a few pics up tonight.

I will detail my CS making also. Very simple really. Get yourself some .9999 pure silver wire, or some coins, or whatever. Also get yourself wall plug from a cordless phone, cell phone, modem, router, anything like that. Something close to 12 volts is likely best, but i have used 5<->25, so just use what you have available. Lower amps if possible. Also, get yourself some ionized water from the grocery/drug store 0 ppm, and a cheap TDS meter to read you CS ppm.
My CS was 22-25 ppm, and I used it until a few days after I knew I had pollen sacs (about 14-21 dys).
You get the picture. If you have all that and still need help, let me know.
If you have all that, you are set.

I will detail my CS making also. Very simple really. Get yourself some .9999 pure silver wire, or some coins, or whatever. Also get yourself wall plug from a cordless phone, cell phone, modem, router, anything like that. Something close to 12 volts is likely best, but i have used 5<->25, so just use what you have available. Lower amps if possible. Also, get yourself some ionized water from the grocery/drug store 0 ppm, and a cheap TDS meter to read you CS ppm.
My CS was 22-25 ppm, and I used it until a few days after I knew I had pollen sacs (about 14-21 dys).
You get the picture. If you have all that and still need help, let me know.
If you have all that, you are set.

Thanks NotaDrinker,

I asked your method cuz I've been making CS for about 10 years maybe more, and mi CS generator runs at 30V 880mA, It takes 3 hours to get to 13ppm, if I filter my CS, clean my silver wire and run my CS gen again it takes another 3 hrs to get to 40ppm +/-. So I was concerned about I was doing something wrong, cuz BigIrishDoode said that with (3) 9V batteries takes only one hour to get to 40ppm, I don't know, but as G420 said, there's so many variables, so every batch even with te same CS gen gonna be different.

Cheers
Mojox

Thanks Chiefin, glad to have you stop by!

Mojox: Yeah, after a few hours, I clean my 4 inch silver wires, and strain my CS through a coffee filter and repeat. The most I seem to be able to get is 20-25 ppm before my CS starts to get darker. I dunno if the color will effect the purpose, but all the CS ppl are buying is clear, so I assumed as clear as possible the better. I though it had to do with the size of the CS particles. The bigger the darker. And we need the smaller to to the job we want it to. But like I said, 25 volts is the highest power I had easily available to me. I believe the one I used to make the CS I used to self the plant was 12 volt. I said lower amps cause amps are an enemy... If you don't need them, don't use them.
BID uses coins and we use wire. Difference being the surface area of silver exposed to water during CS production. I concluded that that was the major factor between the ppm per hour ratio difference him and I experienced.
What color is your CS when you are done producing it 40 ppm?
Does it work for creating feminized pollen sacs on a female plant?
What size or amount of wire do you use?

I agree, the variables are huge. That is why I want to do it again. To know for sure if my method was good or if I got a little lucky somewhere.

Thanks for stopping my.

Hi again,

Well, let me tell you that I don't use wire, I use 2 silver bars, they are about 5" long, 1/4" wide and 1/8" girth.

And my 13-17ppm CS is mostly yellow, not too dark not too pale, I read someone said that the darker the high ppm, well some times my CS ends yellow, sometimes almost clear, sometimes brown, purple, etc. with the same ppm. For me color is just color, I don't mind its color, I'm always looking for the right ppm levels.

Well size particles is a long talk, so in my 12 years of making CS never had a complain, My family and I have been taking CS for almost 15 years (only 12 since I discovered how to make it) and nobody seems to be sick or with Argyria. So let the size particles chat for experts.

And yeah I tried and succeeded to turn a female with my Homemade CS, but never pollinized anything, cuz it was only an experiment. The ppm was 38. And I'm pretty convinced that any concentration higher than 17ppm will give us balls, nanas or whatever you call it, but viable pollen will be produced only with 22-25ppm, ideally 30ppm or more, I'd rather 48-50ppm, but sometimes I can't get to this numbers.

Another thing I discovered by myself is to leech, prime or whatever you call it, wich means, if I have some CS from another bach, I pour it in my glass to fill 1/3 of its capacity, and fill the other 2/3 with distilled water. Then I switch on my CS gen and only takes 1 hour to get to 17ppm, or 3 hours to get to 30ppm. If I start with only distilled water my CS gen takes 3 hours to get to 17ppm most of times.

Cheers
Mojox

P.S.: I'm still having problems to explain to myself, but I'm trying to.

Ah I see. I use wire, 18 guage I think, 4 inches, maybe 3 inches in the water. Takes me about 8 hours or so of cleaning, straining, ect. before I can get a clear-ish 25 or so ppm CS solution. You use bars larger than my wire so it takes you less time than me. BID used coins and it takes him even less time. So I am sure now, surface area of silver exposed to water regulated the ppm per hour production of our CS.

The color has to do with the particle size, and for our purpose, the smaller/clearer the better/easier for the plant to absorb. For human consumption, I am not sure if a larger particle size would have any negative or less beneficial effects on our bodies. I don't consume my CS, it's just for my plants. You don't consume it at 17+ ppm do you? I thought I read 5 ppm was as high as you should consume, but like I said, I am lacking in the human consumption area of CS.

"And I'm pretty convinced that any concentration higher than 17ppm will give us balls, nanas or whatever you call it, but viable pollen will be produced only with 22-25ppm, ideally 30ppm or more,"

That's interesting. I will defiantly keep it as close to 30 as possible while staying as clear as possible.

I don't leech or prime or use hot water. It indeed would save me maybe an hour of time, but I am not pressed for time and I want every batch to be its own, while still trying to make it as close to the last as possible.

I can understand you just fine m8. You are doing a great job!

Best Wishes.

Hi NAD,

Well, I agree with you that the clearer the smaller particle size, but I have 2 CS gen, one runs at 30V 880mA, the second runs at 27V 300mA, both were started at the same time and with the same ammount of watter, the same electrodes, so I didn't find any difference in final product in color, but in concentration, the CS of the first was 19ppm and the second 9ppm after 3 hours.

And I drink only from 9-13ppm, cuz 3-5ppm is intented for nutrition complemment, 7-13ppm is for keep you away from any disease. I'd like to post a bunch of articles about CS, but I have no time right now, I'm going to work in a few minutes.

Thanks
Mojox

I have about 6 different adapters that I will test with,
all different voltage (4.9-25v) and amperage (450-2000ma).
I will also get some larger silver pieces to test against the
wire I have.
I will document the info in here as I do each test. Should
give me a pretty good idea about what does what.

Plants are doing very well. Pics coming in the next few days.

Those CS generators you have, you purchased them I assume?
Do they have resistors to restrict current and prevent runaway?

If so, that is why your CS stays rather clear. What ppm can you get up so with your generators? And is it still clear?

If not, you are just on target for when my CS begins to change color. 20 ppm is the best I could get before I could no longer say that the solution was still clear. 25 ppm and you can tell for sure that it is a yellowish color.

I have read about boiling CS to concentrate it, thereby raising the ppm. I think I can use that info to make high ppm / small particle size CS, which is apparently ideal for our plants.

I will begin the first batch tonight. I will use the lowest mA adapter I have, 400mA @ 25v, .9999 silver wire and distilled 0ppm water. a 9volt battery, for which they use 3, puts our 8ma, and a very good CS maker used resistors in the range of 1ma or less. I believe this is what controls the ability to make larger particles. This will be in future tests. I will clean, stir and filter the solution until it is just beginning to show a change, or 20ppm, whichever comes first. Then I will boil that solution down to half, and see if it stays clear and doubles in ppm.

I will also take some pics of the scrog (which is going very well I think but I think I am kinda doing it backwards? lol), and the CS process.

Stay tuned!

Ok Ok... LOL

Here are a couple of the scrog screen beginning to take shape. It is going to be interesting scrogging for the first time. That is for sure.

100_4052.JPG

100_40481.JPG

100_40471.JPG

I just finished tucking and pulling as you can see. I will take a few more pics in a few days when I water them and they are perked back up.

Here is the CS generator. I used 500ml of distilled water, a 25v/500mA adapter, and about 2 submerged inches of .9999 silver wire.

100_40581.JPG

I will update on this batch of CS after I have boiled it down.

Best Wishes.

Well, as you can see, some of the branching is currently on top of the screen. The plant is now horizontal and is growing pretty mush exactly like my last LST grow went. The screen I assume is just used for a more even canopy, but basically it is just LST with a screen instead of tie downs or whatever.
My screen is only 4 inches above my pots, so even the very bottom shoots will likely make it to the screen.
I don't plan on flowering for another 4 - 6 weeks or so, so I am in no real hurry. I want this screen FULL of tops. We'll see how long that takes.

CS is cooking. 4 hours now = 15ppm and clear. Will stop at 5 hours and be done for the night. Tomorrow I will boil it down to about half and see if it is still clear and the expected ppm.

I'll check out your journal more often mate, thanks for the input ;)

Best Wishes.

Edit: 5 hours 15 mins. CS is now 16 ppm and still clear. You can however see a slight metallic grayish tinge beginning to appear. Only went up 1 ppm in the last 1 hour 15 mins, so I believe I am at the perfect point to stop and try to condense it. I'll update on ppm and color tomorrow after I boil it down and filter it again.

Ok, so I boiled the solution to just about half. The color did change from clear to golden to even slightly darker, indicating that although color is a factor in particle size, ppm will ultimately have a effect on the color of CS. Now if only there was a easy way to check the particle size... I was hoping the solution would stay clear, thereby making this experiment easier to conclude, but I guess that just isn't going to happen.
They must be adding additives in the CS you buy in the store to make/keep it clear.
I went from 16ppm to exactly 32 ppm indicating that it basically worked perfectly. And boiling the solution was a lot faster than if I would have generated it... Very Interesting.

Now I will make another batch using a low v high mA adapter to note the difference in time and color and ppm.

When I am done testing with my adapters, I will try a 6volt big 4R25 battery I have just for kicks.
I have this strange feeling that batteries will be a little different...

Best Wishes.

Back
Top Bottom