Notes from the Mad Scientist's Kitchen

Baked Bear

This worked for me. I am not an expert. You have been forewarned.

hardware required:

1. One-quart canning jar with lid and seal. Mine is an antique that me mum was gonna throw away because she didn't need it. It has a wire latch and a glass lid with a rubber gasket to seal it.
  2. Crockpot/Slow Cooker, big enough to hold the sealed jar and still put the lid on it.
  3. Washcloth
  4. ~1 pint (volume) of old vapings (technical term, anybody?)
  5. 1 stick of butter.
Grind up the vapings in an old coffee-grinder. Be brutal. I use the settings for 12 cups (more time) and espresso grind (even more time). This should reduce your leavings to a powdery consistency. It takes up surprisingly little room once it's been "powdered".

Carefully transfer your "powder" to your canning jar.

Add 1 or 2 sticks of butter. One worked for me, but it would have been acceptably potent had I used two. Seal Container.

Place washcloth in bottom of slow-cooker. Place sealed jar in slow-cooker on top of washcloth. Add water until the jar just begins to float.

If any part of the washcloth is exposed to air there's not enough water in the pot (so add some). If you have filled the pot to the brim and parts of the washcloth are still dry, remove the jar and washcloth and pour off much of the excess water. Then carefully follow these instructions:

1. washcloth in the slow cooker first.
  2. Put the canning jar in the slow-cooker, making sure the jar is on top of the washcloth this time!

Turn on slow cooker and put the lid on it, to slow the escape of steam. Wait ~24 hours, checking frequently to ensure your contraption hasn't boiled dry. Add water to prevent this, but only as necessary.

When ready (about a day, + or - about 12 hours, YMMV) remove container from crockpot (unplug the C-pot, it's done!) pour contents through high-quality coffee filter(s). Use ones that can be folded over and squeezed without breaking open so you can extract the extra liquid that might stay behind.

What I got: About 1/4 to 1/3 cup of green fluid resembling dark olive oil. It has a very strong aroma of sweet and slightly scortched, but that might just be the cannabis flavor. Whatever it is, is strong! Right from the fridge, this stuff is aromatic. Furthermore, it's sneaky. Just to try it out I took about 2 teaspoonfuls, washed down with water and bread. About 1-1/2 hours later, I notice the effects. 3 hours later, I'm glued to my recliner thinking "When will the high start to level off?"

Needless to day, I am happy with this process. It allows for lapses of attention without creating a dreadfully dangerous situation. Slow cookers, if watched carefully, are rarely involved in accidents that burn whole houses down.

The washcloth? It's just there to cushion the canning jar to protect it from bumping against the ceramic slow-cooker pot when the water starts simmering.

No smell escapes into the house until it's time to decant and filter the product.

The purpose of the water is to ensure the canning jar is not heated beyond boiling point. If you live significantly above Sea Level, you might want to use a thermometer to see how much less than 100 degrees Celsius your water is. Since the jar is sealed, there's no harm in adding salt to the water so raise its boiling point to a more satisfactory temperature.

If you don't like cannabis-flavored stuff you might want to mask the flavor with something else.

VOICE OF EXPERIENCE: Do not use the coffee grinder to powder your bud for the vaporizer. The tiny particles will clog your screen and require considerable cleaning to restore proper function.

If you don't like cannabis-flavored stuff you might want to mask the flavor with something else.

In case I haven't been clear, any suggestions would be most helpful.

Back
Top Bottom