Novice grower with MarsHydro TS3000, Coco setup

Gearc10

Very excited first time grower here looking for any tips along the way as I really know very little about this.

About me
Recently turned past 40 with a 1 year old daughter, a newly build home on 1 private acer and a 3 room log cabin that becomes my full time office and also my grow lab. At the position in my life (dreamed of) where I can grow my own privately and under excellent conditions. I just need upskilling in the art of gardening to pull this off. Should add that my wife is a landscape architect but not a smoker and knows little about growing in this area.

This is my setup -
  • MarsHydro TS300.
  • 4 x 4 Grow tent.
  • Medium - Coco Coir Professional.
  • Nutrients, all Canna - Coco A/B, Cannazym, Rhizotonic, Boost, PK 13/14.
  • 1 x fan.
  • PH/Moisture tester
  • Waiting on fan with carbon filter and ducting, dehumidifier and water PH tester - all in post coming in 4 days.
  • Seeds - 3 x monster gelato which have germinated and are under 18/6 light schedule for the third day.
  • Seeds - 3 x Peyote Gorilla that have not sprouted yet and now inserted into glass of water as of today.
I did however feed the sprouted seeds Cana A/B and Rhizo when inserting into plastic pots after germination. After 2 days I fed again and noticed white patching on the barely grown leaves a few hours later. After that I removed the plants from the coco/nutrient mix and put into fresh pots with just coco and a little water. This may have been because of the feeding or the humidity or something unknown to a novice grower.

My grow tent is about 25-28 degrees heat and currently at 40% humidity which I know needs to be closer to 70%.

Questions I have for now
  • How long should i feed just water or should I add nutrients now?
  • Any glaring mistakes I am making?
  • Any tips?

Hi @Gearc10, I also am not a coco grower but your gear line up looks good!

As Mocha said....pics are always encouraged!

Also, a grow journal is a great way to get tips along the way!

Welcome Gear, also not a coco grower, however I'd guess from reading folks journals to start at 25% max feed rate and work up from there. Coco should get watered/fed every day, some folks go twice or three times. @Virgin Ground have you grown in coco maybe and know this?
I haven't grown in CoCo ,Stone.
Perhaps you are thinking of Hybrid?

Sorry that I can't help. :love:

Thanks @Rexer.

Welcome @Gearc10

I do have coco experience and I love it as a mediuim, DWC is mostly my bad these days and I don't have any coco journals to refer you to. But I'm along for the ride and will help wherever I can along the way :peace:

@Bill284 might be able to help too. He has an amazing Coco garden going on.
Questions I have for now
  • How long should i feed just water or should I add nutrients now?
Dont feed anything but water for at least the first 10-14 days.
  • Any tips?
Keep it nice and simple and just focus on making it to harvest :Namaste: and have fun. Check out other journals too, it's a good way to meet other growers and pick up knowledge and tips along the way. We have them linked in our signatures under ours messages :)

Thanks @Rexer.

Welcome @Gearc10

I do have coco experience and I love it as a mediuim, DWC is mostly my bad these days and I don't have any coco journals to refer you to. But I'm along for the ride and will help wherever I can along the way :peace:

@Bill284 might be able to help too. He has an amazing Coco garden going on.
Questions I have for now

Dont feed anything but water for at least the first 10-14 days.

Keep it nice and simple and just focus on making it to harvest :Namaste: and have fun. Check out other journals too, it's a good way to meet other growers and pick up knowledge and tips along the way. We have them linked in our signatures under ours messages :)
Hey @GoogleGenie sorry I'm late to the fun today. Welcome @Gearc10 :welcome:
good advice there just be careful not to drown her. If she is growing vigorously you can give 1/4 strength, but your goal is to get them growing a good root structure. So you can get them upto full strength as soon as possible. Or as close to it as you can.Do you have a root growth product like Roots excelurator gold. I use it once a week on all 50 of my girls.
And always try to feed as close to 5.8 as possible. When you mix your nutrients put the calmag into the water first. It helps mobilize the rest of your nutrients.
There is a ton more I can help you with when you get going.
Just tag me when ever your ready for the next stage or if you have any other questions. Been on the go today and still have 40 girls to do.
Once you get started its so much more straightforward in coco. You have total control.

Very excited first time grower
For a first time grower I would have to recommend something more like pro-mix. Coco can be a little fussy sometimes (lot's of great advice here for coco though if you still want to go that route).

Apologies for the delay in the update folks but I did read all of the great advice and took it to the lab. Pics showing the current lifecycle attached.

Faced multiple lack of prep issues and general noob issues - Not knowing when to feed and how much neuts, lights hanging too high/low, power too high/low, ph too high etc. For the transplant I put the seeds in 1 gallon pots after germination in paper towel, then moved to a few 2 gallons that were loose in the garden as I had no 3 gallon in the house and the roots were growing too fast. It was 2 gallon or straight to 5. Bought 3 x 3 gallon and had to transplant again yesterday (after only a few days in 2 gallon) as the roots were balled up. Will prob need to go to 5 gallon soon, as in a week or so.

All in all, it seems to be going well. To my eye they look healthy but open to any observations and suggestions again.

Cheers

IMG_6163.jpeg

IMG_6165.jpeg

IMG_6216.jpeg

IMG_6280.jpeg

IMG_6356.jpeg

15:3:21.jpeg

Edit - Lights at about 80-90% power. Feeding every day/day.5. Under lights 26 days as of today. Topped the other day seems to have been successful.

Question - Should I LST now or in a few days or when I go to 5 gallon pots. Or what looks like the best option for training? Any tips on pruning?

Thanks

Plants look healthy to me so far doing great. You can LST when those branches get long enough to tie down and begin to train (I'd wait til the uppot just so you don't have to try and pot em with the ties on).

Edit - Lights at about 80-90% power. Feeding every day/day.5. Under lights 26 days as of today. Topped the other day seems to have been successful.

Question - Should I LST now or in a few days or when I go to 5 gallon pots. Or what looks like the best option for training? Any tips on pruning?

Thanks
Girls are looking great my friend. I'd put them in final pot then start training.
But if branches are long enough you can start.

Update and Questions

First off thanks for the tips on transplanting - worked well.

6 weeks today - The initial flip date but think I should wait at least a week more, maybe two just not sure by looking at them. Would be grateful for any guidance here?

Faced some humidity and temperature issues when moving plants from house to the shed. Did stunt growth and shock plants for a few days but seems good now.

In regards to feeding. I was feeding every 2 days but noticed they looked dry and started to freed the bottom of the plants. That feed evaporates within an hour or 2 so I have potentially been under feeding the whole time. So now I am giving a big feed every 2 days and filling the bottom tray of the plants daily. Does this sound right and should I water once a week?

Next question - I got auto seeds yesterday (shout out to seedsman for replacing non germinated seeds for free) and want to add them to the grow tent when I flip current plants to flower. Is this actually possible to have seedlings of autos under same lights/Tent/space as flowering plants?

Final question - I trained and stripped back a lot and cut a few branches. Should I strip more? Remove more sugar leaves? Bend plants more? Any observations from the pics?

Cheers

IMG_6660.jpeg

IMG_6669.jpeg

IMG_6667.jpeg

IMG_6666.jpeg

IMG_6661.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom