Nute burn when switching to flower, DWC

something i dont understand....

gh gmb lable says at the stage my plants were in when all hell broke loose, that i should
have been feeding 7.5-7.5-7.5 gmb 900-1300 ppm. at that time i was feeding 4-3-1 and the plants leaves
turned yellow and brown and twisted and crumbled. according to the chart i have been underfeeding
them this whole time....

at this time the chart says to feed 7.5-2.5-10ml/gal, but my plants dont seem to be able to tolerate
those high levels of nutes.

so if i understand you correctly. i should feed 7.5-2.5-10 but dilute the mix until im around 500 ppm?

also. what ppm range is considered lite feeding as i am reintroducing nutes after this 24 hour flush im doing?

something i dont understand....

gh gmb lable says at the stage my plants were in when all hell broke loose, that i should
have been feeding 7.5-7.5-7.5 gmb 900-1300 ppm. at that time i was feeding 4-3-1 and the plants leaves
turned yellow and brown and twisted and crumbled. according to the chart i have been underfeeding
them this whole time....
1300ppm is extremely high. This is what i mean about following the ratio but reducing the amounts proportionally, or diluting down.
at this time the chart says to feed 7.5-2.5-10ml/gal, but my plants dont seem to be able to tolerate
those high levels of nutes.

so if i understand you correctly. i should feed 7.5-2.5-10 but dilute the mix until im around 500 ppm?
Correct. Follow the ratios, dilute down.
also. what ppm range is considered lite feeding as i am reintroducing nutes after this 24 hour flush im doing?
I work in EC (im not sure which ppm measure you're using Hanna or Eutech). It depends on your setup, but I'd say ~0.8-1.0ec is feeding light at this point. Maybe start at 0.8 and see how they get on. If the EC drops you know you need to feed more. Keep an eye out for signs of deficiency too.

I always feed light. I'm at Day 10 in one flowering tent and have EC at 0.9. I have another setup at Day 42 at EC 1.0. Both journals in my sig :thumb:

ppm is falling in both res's and ph is now steady.

i checked the ppm and ph of the nute free distilled water in the res. ppm numbers on both res are like 30 when i gave distilled water. today its around 18 in each res and ph steady @ 6. i honestly expected the ppm to rise over night... im taking it this is a good sign.

im using the ppm on my meter. not sure what format it is really. also my res temps are now hovering around 70f. they were 75.5f before flowering.

tonight i will reintoduce lite nutes following the bottle and diluting down to 500ppm

ppm is falling in both res's and ph is now steady.

i checked the ppm and ph of the nute free distilled water in the res. ppm numbers on both res are like 30 when i gave distilled water. today its around 18 in each res and ph steady @ 6. i honestly expected the ppm to rise over night... im taking it this is a good sign.
This is indeed a good sign
im using the ppm on my meter. not sure what format it is really. also my res temps are now hovering around 70f. they were 75.5f before flowering.

tonight i will reintoduce lite nutes following the bottle and diluting down to 500ppm
Good stuff :thumb:

There are a few different ppm scales (because why not). The 500, 640 and 700.

0.8ec is the following equivalent ppm on each of the scales
500: 400ppm
640: 512ppm
700: 560ppm

It would be worth looking into which scale yours is using. If it’s a TDS meter, this is usually the 500 scale.

OK

Added nutes to the water last night. 500ppm 0.8ec and 6.1ph. Today they have eaten 100ppm and drank
1/2 gallon each. PH in both res's has dropped to around 5.6. Adjusted the ph and will feed again tomorrow...
or should i let them drink the whole res pretty low first?

Seeing more brown spotting on the bottom leaves and a few smaller leaves feeling very dry again.

The TDS meter im using is the elcheapo chinese crap from amazon. Seems to work ok but i did have to
take a double measurement to check accuracy this evening. glad i did cause it lied to me lol. Broken
engrish instructions does not specify which scale it uses.

if sold in to europe / asia it's usually 700 scale. if sold into US it's usually 500 scale. if sold into canada it's a dog's breakfast. australia can be a mess too.

ec (electrical conductivity ) is universal and a lot of growers use it. measures the same thing. all the ppm scales are an algorithm based on measuring ec. i used both. mostly 700 scale. i have no need of it for what i do now.

some actual pics of the plants would probably help. might not be able to be exact but we can probably suss if a nute or something is off..

OK

Added nutes to the water last night. 500ppm 0.8ec and 6.1ph. Today they have eaten 100ppm and drank
1/2 gallon each. PH in both res's has dropped to around 5.6. Adjusted the ph and will feed again tomorrow...
or should i let them drink the whole res pretty low first?

Seeing more brown spotting on the bottom leaves and a few smaller leaves feeling very dry again.

The TDS meter im using is the elcheapo chinese crap from amazon. Seems to work ok but i did have to
take a double measurement to check accuracy this evening. glad i did cause it lied to me lol. Broken
engrish instructions does not specify which scale it uses.
The PPM dropping and water level dropping is a good sign. Plants are taking the nutrients up. Keep doing what you're doing, keep on top of PH. I tend to let the water level drop a little, before topping up. I try to always keep an air gap (and inch or two) between the bottom the net pot and the water level. Letting the water level drop a bit more before topping up will also encourage more root growth too.

if it's TDS then it should be the 500 scale :thumb:

if it's TDS then it should be the 500 scale

they call all of them tds but the moniker is more US prone for sure.
i would assume 500 scale it if only said tds as well.

if it didn't work out to that launch sanctions lol

Hey all!

Im having issues after switching my girls to flower mode 12/12 and attempting a transition mix for my nutes. My plants
dont seem to be tolerating BLOOM very well at all. Any time i go above 1.5ml/gal of bloom, my plants start showing signs
of nute burn. About a week after flowering and switching to a 2-3-3 mix from 4-3-1, im getting yellow tips slowly turning
brown, browning on the serrations/side of the leafs, leafs twisting, looking very dry and then crumbling and falling off.
Way more severe on the older growth and halfway up the plant. The leafs at the top of the plant, tips have turned yellow and
are slowly turning brown. Cant really see that in the pics though....

So i changed the water and adjusted the mix to 3-3-1.5 and defoliated all the death. They are recovering..... and starting to bud.

How do i know its the bloom? When i started the grow, i was using a 2-2-2 mix. The plants were growing fine but always looked
a bit droopy and had some clawing and tacoing going on. In general the plants looked sickly to me. So i switched to a new mix
of 4-3-1 and the plants quickly recovered and exploded in growth. There were no sings of any distress until i changed the mix for
flowering. Roots like great! I always adjust the ph of each new gallon of of mix added to the res. I also check the ph in the res
every couple days. No real ph adjustments needed in the res.

Im headed to the local hydro shop to get more bloom hoping its just a bad bottle. I hear i need alot more bloom in my mix at
this stage...so im confused as to why my plants wont tolerate higher levels of it.

Any insight will help

strain - durban poison from ck sativa
method - DWC, 5 gal buckets, rockwool and clay pebbles
stage - flower 3 weeks in
plants - 2
local- 4x4 tent
weather- 24c air, 75f water (hydroguard) rh 50%ish all controlled, breezy
light - mars hydro led 1000 watt
bubbles - 2 large discs per bucket with tons of bubbles
nutes - GMB, calimagic, hydroguard, ph up and down
mix - veg was 4-3-1, 1-3-3 transition (plants got sick), currently flowing @ 3-3-1.5, 3ml/gal calimag, 2ml/gal hydroguard
ph - area of 5.5 -6 using test kit. piss yellow toward orange is where ive been keeping it.

00001.jpg
0112211803a_HDR.jpg
0112211838a.jpg
0112211838b.jpg
0112211838c.jpg
0112211838d.jpg
No way those plants have been flowering for 3 weeks. I don’t even see a preflower. When you switch the light schedule... keep feeding what you have been for about a week or two. Then start using bloom nutrients when you got flowers to bulk up. Rn you don’t even have flowers so why would your plant need food for them?

honestly im shocked ive gotten this far. murdered many seedlings over the last year trying to grow in soil
that was too hot.

They are still not feeding. PH still falling. In 24 hours both res have stayed at about 350ppm. Leaves are starting to get crispy again. I found alot of dried bits and pieces on the floor again.

I have already changed the water twice. Both times i gave them straight ph balanced distilled water for 24 hours. I have followed the nutes instructions on the bottle and diluted it down to 500ppm. Ended up diluting it down in the res to 350ishppm to try and see if going lite on the nutes would help.....

I am at a loss here.

Back
Top Bottom