Nute deficiency, root rot? Northern Light Auto

Dro

Ok, hoping someone can help out here.
Northern Light auto from CKS.
5 weeks from germination
DWC 5 gallon on 3.5 gallons of RO water 5ppm.
Water temp 66-70
Humidity 34-55
Temp 73-75f
1/2 tsp per gallon of GH FloraMicro, Floragro and Florabloom
1 tsp per gallon of GH Calimagic
pH: 5.56
856ppm

Plant may have had some root rot arpind week 2-3 but it has grown out of it... I hope.
Roots are colored from res, no off smell, no slime but roots are forming a ball and tangled together.
I thought it may have a nitrogen or phosphorus deficiency.
The stems are a bit purple.
No visible spider mites or other bugs.

What do you guys think? I am going crazy! Check out my journal if you want more insight info.
NLissue.jpg
NLissue1.jpg
NLleavesY.jpg

This may be a crazy question, but do you have an air pump pumping air into your buckets? What are you using for stones? I’ve had a couple plants start to look like this after stones got clogged up due to the nutrients I was using (GH actually) switched to a different line (botanicare) and threw some new stones in and never had another issue or clogged stone. Also asked by another member, how are you checking your ph?

This may be a crazy question, but do you have an air pump pumping air into your buckets? What are you using for stones? I’ve had a couple plants start to look like this after stones got clogged up due to the nutrients I was using (GH actually) switched to a different line (botanicare) and threw some new stones in and never had another issue or clogged stone. Also asked by another member, how are you checking your ph?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Here are some answers.

Air pump is working well and I have 2 stones per 5 gallon bucket. I only have this auto and a green crack photo. Stones are not clogged there is plenty of bubbles.

pH is correct. I checked the pH pen with the 4 pH solution and it was reading 4.2

I think it is down to nutrients. In a 5 gallon bucket I mix 3.5 gallons of RO water, 4tsp Calimagic, 2tsp Floramicro, 2tsp floragro, 2tsp florabloom. Then I add 2ml z7 of both solutions. Then I add 2tsp of hydroguard.

Do you see any issue to my nute mix? I am on week 5 since germination.

My green crack photo is also starting to act up... I am seeing some purple stems and it's pretty droopy. It's a bit odd because some tips are showing signs of possibly nute burn but the purple stems show deficiency!

I am going to do a res change to both but not even sure if I go more nutes or less nutes!

GCpurpleStem.jpg
GCdarkleaves.jpg

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Here are some answers.

Air pump is working well and I have 2 stones per 5 gallon bucket. I only have this auto and a green crack photo. Stones are not clogged there is plenty of bubbles.

pH is correct. I checked the pH pen with the 4 pH solution and it was reading 4.2

I think it is down to nutrients. In a 5 gallon bucket I mix 3.5 gallons of RO water, 4tsp Calimagic, 2tsp Floramicro, 2tsp floragro, 2tsp florabloom. Then I add 2ml z7 of both solutions. Then I add 2tsp of hydroguard.

Do you see any issue to my nute mix? I am on week 5 since germination.
Is this a typo or are you saying your ph was 4.2? If that’s the case that’s way too low bud, even 5.2 is too low, although acceptable PH for hydro is between 5.5 and 6.5, optimal PH is 5.8-6.2, straighten out your ph before adjusting your nute strengths.. I know there’s a lot of growers using RO water but I personally use tap water and don’t use any cal/mag nor do I have any cal/mag issues.

You could try spraying with 2% Epsom salt solution, which is magnesium sulphate, since it's likely either a magnesium or sulphur deficiency and that's got both. It's cheap stuff. Add 2g per 100ml water and spray when the lights are off. If it works you know your plant has a problem with the uptake of one of those and you can research about that before your next grow what the issue might be with your method or media.

Is this a typo or are you saying your ph was 4.2? If that’s the case that’s way too low bud, even 5.2 is too low, although acceptable PH for hydro is between 5.5 and 6.5, optimal PH is 5.8-6.2, straighten out your ph before adjusting your nute strengths.. I know there’s a lot of growers using RO water but I personally use tap water and don’t use any cal/mag nor do I have any cal/mag issues.

No the res pH is at 6.06. I was saying that I checked my pH pen against the 4 pH solution that is used for the calibration. Meaning that the pH pen is good

A pH of 4.2 and a pH of 4.0 are not even close to each other in the way we normally think about a tenth of a percent. Research pH and how much each .1 increases the acidity/ base of the solution. Also you should calibrate your pen at 7.0 and then again at 4.0. I don't think you realize how important this is.

I'm going to tag you in my journal and give you a link there that I think will help you some.

That schedule he's using is already half the amounts in the GH recommended schedule... it's a custom one.

Yeah that schedule already has it down from 1/4 to 1/2 strength. I thought I was giving them a bit less than what I should have at 5 weeks..I dunno.

A pH of 4.2 and a pH of 4.0 are not even close to each other in the way we normally think about a tenth of a percent. Research pH and how much each .1 increases the acidity/ base of the solution. Also you should calibrate your pen at 7.0 and then again at 4.0. I don't think you realize how important this is.

I'm going to tag you in my journal and give you a link there that I think will help you some.

That's new information that I didn't really know. Need to do my research here. I just assumed if the recommended nute pH is 5.5-6 then the 0.2 off that I was didn't make a big difference in that wide range. I can try the strips and see what I come up with and re calibrate to 7 and 4

Back
Top Bottom