Nute lockout? Too much light?

ROSSM8

420 Member
First time grower here, and this forum has been extremely helpful already! But I figured Id post a quick picture and get some opinions.

Growing an unknown strain seed with General Hydro Flora series + calmag in coco coir/perlite
Currently have x3 23w daylight CFLs + cheap amazon LED grow that claims 75w but looks like it only pulls ~25w from the wall.
Fan for circulation obviously. Just transplanted from a solo cup to a 3 gallon fabric pot.

The issues I'm noticing now is leaf droop and maybe nute lockout on the tips on the first set of real leaves. It looks like rust, more then nutrient the typical look of nute burn.

Did the first full flush yesterday, runoff PH was definitely on the high side, and she seems to be responding well.

Main tap stem is shedding a layer, and definitely getting thicker.

Temps have been in the low to mid 70s
RH has been sub 40% and sometimes dips into the mid 20s

Any input would be awesome, anything to ease my mind

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190130-182931.png
    Screenshot_20190130-182931.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • 20190130_181533.jpg
    20190130_181533.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 55
First time grower here...

:welcome: to the forum...

Feed your plants at least once a day (I do it at least twice per day) until you get runoff, anywhere from 5-20% of what you put in.

Don't mix your nutrients at more than 50% of the recommended label strength. My first grow was at 25%. Havest was 5.1oz from four plants in a 2' x 4' tent. I'm up to 40%, but have noticed salts being deposited on the outside of my grow bags.

Do not flush, or feed pure water, EVER! The plants won't grow as well if you do.

Here's the feed schedule from my last grow at 33% of recommended strength:

full

Feed Schedule - General Hydroponics' Flora Trio + Supplements at 33%

First time grower here, and this forum has been extremely helpful already! But I figured Id post a quick picture and get some opinions.

Growing an unknown strain seed with General Hydro Flora series + calmag in coco coir/perlite
Currently have x3 23w daylight CFLs + cheap amazon LED grow that claims 75w but looks like it only pulls ~25w from the wall.
Fan for circulation obviously. Just transplanted from a solo cup to a 3 gallon fabric pot.

The issues I'm noticing now is leaf droop and maybe nute lockout on the tips on the first set of real leaves. It looks like rust, more then nutrient the typical look of nute burn.

Did the first full flush yesterday, runoff PH was definitely on the high side, and she seems to be responding well.

Main tap stem is shedding a layer, and definitely getting thicker.

Temps have been in the low to mid 70s
RH has been sub 40% and sometimes dips into the mid 20s

I am in the EXACT same boat as you! First grow in coco blah blah blah.

1) Are you using your tap water? Do you live in a city? I got rid of the tap and run 100% distilled water. My PH is right on point once I put my nutes in. Best part is..... my PH DOES NOT flex if I let the water sit for a few days!

2) What are you measuring your PH with? After about week 4, I threw my $13 DLISS in the trash and went to my local hydro store and picked up a $60 GOOD Ph pen. I HAVE NOT HAD A LOCKOUT SINCE! I calibrate it once a month now with new 7.0 solution. I always aim for 5.8. Flex between 5.6-6.1. When I hit those min/max.....depending on how I feel that day, I may raise or lower depending on what nutes I am running. I always TRY to balance “naturally.” If it’s too high, I’ll throw in more cal/mag (because I run 1/2 nutes anyways). If it’s too low, which has yet to happen, I will dilute with more water.

3) I water 1 gallon (minimum) between 4 pots EVERYDAY. You MUST put nutes in the water so you don’t flex your PH in your coco and wipe out all the nutes in the coco.

Good luck on your gro bro

1) Are you using your tap water? Do you live in a city? I got rid of the tap and run 100% distilled water.
Distilled water becomes expensive. An RO will pay for itself quickly. A system and better than a year's supply of filters can be had for under $400 CAD (300 USD) from Aquasafe Systems. They ship from both Canada and the US, so there are no customs or duties to pay.

Distilled water becomes expensive. An RO will pay for itself quickly. A system and better than a year's supply of filters can be had for under $400 CAD (300 USD) from Aquasafe Systems. They ship from both Canada and the US, so there are no customs or duties to pay.
$400 will get me 380 gallons worth of distilled water. I can purchase a good distiller for $160

$400 will get me 380 gallons worth of distilled water. I can purchase a good distiller for $160

In other words, $400 will buy you a year's worth of water, or $160 will buy you the privilege of paying the power company $40 or more a month to make your own. If you are going to distill your own ethanol to extract the oils it still isn't worth running it to distill water.

If all you use the RO for is your grows, the filters will last five or more years on a municipal water supply. On a well, using the water from the RO for drinking and cooking, the filters last me 10 years or more.

Back
Top Bottom