Nute question

beerdrynkr

new grow started and hope this is not a bad question. been reading charts for nutes and ive used the three pack from amazon and had good luck, would like to try using straight n.p.k , not a kit. i.e. bat guano for nitro . bone meal for phosphorus.etc
any pointers would be appreciated

new grow started and hope this is not a bad question. been reading charts for nutes and ive used the three pack from amazon and had good luck, would like to try using straight n.p.k , not a kit. i.e. bat guano for nitro . bone meal for phosphorus.etc
any pointers would be appreciated
The problem with raw nutrients is that it takes quite a long time to break down these materials into a form that the plants can use. It is possible to add this stuff to soil, but then it has to be composted for a month or longer so as to break the components down. Adding this stuff as a top dressing will only prove to be partially effective and your plants will likely starve as a result, having only been able to take advantage of any water soluble nutrients that happen to run off of your top dressings.
For this grow, you probably need to continue using commercial nutes. If you want to eventually go full organic, get an organic set of nutes (general organics) so that you don't ruin your soil, and after this run take the soil you have been using and put it into a compost bin. Add your raw components (and some others) and let this soil cook for a month or so. Your next run using that soil will be much more independent, and if you really build up a good all purpose living organic soil you wont have to add anything but water from then on. Unfortunately, if doesnt sound like you are there yet. I might be wrong those since I have assumed that you are using an organic soil that has not yet been turned into a super soil with added amendments and composting. Tell us about your soil and your operation so far.

i use fox farm . second time through i did ad a super soil additive, did not seem to make a difference, i do compost for the veg garden and was planning on adding old soil to that , if im reading right i use my compost, add the bulk n.p.k and that will end up cooking a super soil ?

That's the idea... of course there are a few more things that are needed to make a complete super soil that can stand up to the needs of our super accumulator weed. I started with SubCool's recipe, 1/4 version. Besides the quality of the grows that result from an organic living soil, it makes it easy to dispose of plant/harvest debris by simply adding all of it, rootballs, stems, trim... and as it breaks down it adds to the soil all the goodness that those plants had drawn up from the soil. There is no waste here, and as long as you keep amending as you go and add a bit of new soil for starting seedlings and top layers, the soil can be used over and over again.
Fox Farm is ok, but it does go acidic after a time because the peat breaks down over several grows. There are good organics in there though and there is a bit of it in my soil collection too... but mostly my base is Roots Organic 101.

got a small grow started , enough fox farm for this, gonna get real serious about making my own soil, gardened for most my life and it seems like the premade soils are a little harder to feed, my problem is im not a reader or calculater , i just try shit and gog lol,

Back
Top Bottom