Nutrient Burn: NPK only or micronutrients also

diabolito

I realize you can get nutrient burn from the main NPK elements, as they are in relatively large amounts in a nutrient mix.

I'm trying to add some micro nutrients to my DWC and it's hard to find one supplement that covers it. I can add a couple of different types but I end up with too much of some of the micro nutrient elements than required, when I add them up.

I was wondering, is this maybe not an issue and just ignored by the plant, as they are in relatively small amounts, or will that cause issues of having too much?

As a side note, I've had many DWC grows not using micro nutrients that have turned out well. It's probably because there are trace amounts in the tap water I use. There's not enough however and wanted to see if adding the micro nutrients makes a difference or not.

I realize you can get nutrient burn from the main NPK elements, as they are in relatively large amounts in a nutrient mix.

I'm trying to add some micro nutrients to my DWC and it's hard to find one supplement that covers it. I can add a couple of different types but I end up with too much of some of the micro nutrient elements than required, when I add them up.

I was wondering, is this maybe not an issue and just ignored by the plant, as they are in relatively small amounts, or will that cause issues of having too much?

As a side note, I've had many DWC grows not using micro nutrients that have turned out well. It's probably because there are trace amounts in the tap water I use. There's not enough however and wanted to see if adding the micro nutrients makes a difference or not.
Can you give more details?

What are you currently using for nutrients?

My current base mix gives this for veg:

Nitrogen 3 %
Phosphorus 1 %
K(20) 5 %
Magnesium 1.7 %
Calcium 3.6 %
Molybdenum 0.0011 ppm
Iron 0.05 ppm
Copper 0.245 ppm

For example I have another mix that can some Sulfur but it also has Iron and Mg, which would then push them over the top amount recommended.

Thanks garybo, I hadn't thought about ordering some of the individual elements. I'm going to look over that site.

Might be a good way to go, rather than breaking down all the elements combined in a commercial nutrient mix.

Your regular hydro nutes should contain the necessary micros
If it has worked well in the past, why try to reinvent the wheel?
That almost sounds like a philosophical question, Growings.

I played in bands for years (still do) and on a tour there was a big difference between the size of venues from one week to the next. We pulled in to a small club once and started loaded in all the Marshall cabinets and heads and equipment.

The bar owner looked at it and said "Is all that really necessary?"

Our tour manager looked away, thoughtful and responded, " Is any of this really necessary?"

To answer your question, you're right, but I guess there's the fun part of trying something new and seeing if it can be better. And sometimes it's good to be a little ridiculous about something.

On a practical note, when I actually looked at the main DWC nutrients out there, they rarely contain all the recommended elements required. Seems like the plants grow anyway but I wonder if they would grow better with all the stuff they're supposed to get.

That almost sounds like a philosophical question, Growings.

I played in bands for years (still do) and on a tour there was a big difference between the size of venues from one week to the next. We pulled in to a small club once and started loaded in all the Marshall cabinets and heads and equipment.

The bar owner looked at it and said "Is all that really necessary?"

Our tour manager looked away, thoughtful and responded, " Is any of this really necessary?"

To answer your question, you're right, but I guess there's the fun part of trying something new and seeing if it can be better. And sometimes it's good to be a little ridiculous about something.

On a practical note, when I actually looked at the main DWC nutrients out there, they rarely contain all the recommended elements required. Seems like the plants grow anyway but I wonder if they would grow better with all the stuff they're supposed to get.
Fair enough - I use Bio Micros, but I doubt that's any use in DWC

Yeah it seems that I need to be careful as to what form of nutrients I get for DWC, as they need to dissolve in to the water and not turn in to particles.

Back
Top Bottom