Nutrient interaction thoughts

Stilletto

I have thought alot about this and figured since I could not find much info online that I would pose the thought to you guys and see if you could add some opinions.

Question: Does it matter what order you add your nutes when making up your solution?

A long time ago when I was taught to grow from my mentor at the time, he stated that I should always start with main nutes, then add micros, then supliments like root juices, then carbo. The reasoning was that the nutes must bond properly to each other to make a complex nutrient.
(This is really hard to explain but I will try. I will also refer to adding nutes to a 5gal jug)
I was to understand that certain micro nutes bond to the macro nutes. So adding mag for example would only bond to a larger molecule, and once you add carbo it would stop the molecule from letting some micros bond to that same molecule.
I know this is confusing but it seemed to make sense..... if I dissolve Nitrigen into water it doesn't just float it between the h2o molecules does it?, or would it accually bond to that structure and add an N molecule to it. Does zinc bond to h2o or to N or to nothing etc.
I have no idea if this matters or not, just putting it up for discussion.
Please offer some thoughts....

Jonny

Well you just made my head spin sir.

I never gave it much thought but I see what you are saying. I hope there are some chemists who will drop the science on us.

On a sidenote. I just used your ice hash method on some trim I was going to throw out and got a nice little ball of goodness. :Namaste:

I believe there's some truth to mixing nutes in a particular order. I've used Cutting Edge 3 part nutrients plus additives pretty consistently over the past few years. The manufacturer strictly instructs consumers to add Micro to the water 1st. They also instruct us not to mix concentrated nutes, dilute in water first, mix/stir, then add next 3 part nute component. This leads me to believe there's truth to it. I've been following their instructions and haven't been disappointed yet. Now organic nutes I really don't know how it works with them. Chemistry isn't my thing but I kinda think I understand where you're are goin with your post.

Let me try to simplify the thought process.
For example:
Take a jar and put rocks in it, then gravel, then sand, then ashes, then water. It all fits nicely rite.

Then take all that stuff and try in a different order. You may or may not get it all in. and will probably have a mess when you are done.

This was the part of the opening speech of my chem professor in collage.

Thanx for the input so far guys.
The manufacturer strictly instructs consumers to add Micro to the water 1st.
I wonder if it should always be micro first? or if different brands say different things?
Take a jar and put rocks in it, then gravel, then sand, then ashes, then water. It all fits nicely rite.

Then take all that stuff and try in a different order. You may or may not get it all in. and will probably have a mess when you are done.
I like this way of thinking. :)

Any other thoughts?

Jonny

Correlation?

Let me try to simplify the thought process.
For example:

This was the part of the opening speech of my chem professor in collage.

I like and understand the analogy as far as them all fittin within one another. How can that be correlated in reference to nutrients mixed in water in a specific or random order? I never took chem or physics.

Thanx for the input so far guys.

I wonder if it should always be micro first? or if different brands say different things?
If you got to hydro stores carefully read the labels or copy the web address down on the different brands (bottles) that have 3 part nutes. I have found diff info in a pamphlet than on the website of Cutting Edge (unless I read something wrong). That's the easiest thing that come to mind off the top of my head.

Just like numbers, chemistry is with us all the time.

I can fully understand that you should mix your nutrients in a certain sequence and way (not directly into the res, but dilute it first).

Cooking is much the same way. Depending on when you add certain ingredients and how they are prepared, can give completely different tastes and textures.

There is a new show in cable TV something about quantum kitchen. The things they make are very interesting, by heating and freezing at specific temperatures and times.

Prairie

DM is probably Dutch Masters?

I use the General Hydroponics Grow, Micro and Bloom trio. On the bottle of Micro, it clearly states:

Always add FloraMicro to fresh water first and stir well, then add FloraGro and/or FloraBloom. Never combine FloraMicro with FloraGro or FloraBloom in undiluted form; doing so may cause nutrient lockout making some minerals unavailable.

My Nute Instructions Say the Same

DM is probably Dutch Masters?

I use the General Hydroponics Grow, Micro and Bloom trio. On the bottle of Micro, it clearly states:

Always add FloraMicro to fresh water first and stir well, then add FloraGro and/or FloraBloom. Never combine FloraMicro with FloraGro or FloraBloom in undiluted form; doing so may cause nutrient lockout making some minerals unavailable.

I use Cutting Edge Solutions 3 part nutrients and the instructions say something similar.

The process of putting certain chemicals in a solution in a specific order really has more to do with ion exchange, specific gravity and interaction. As I read my first post I thought about a different analogy. Some chemicals are used to allow others to to be more readily accepted into the water. Just as R.O. water is used because it has the bad stuff taken out, so that will accept "at a minimum" the same amount that was taken out in the R.O. process. Now add a chemical that allows the water to hold even more and you have a super concentrate.
Take a glass of water and stir in sugar. Then add a tea bag. Result, Little to Nothing.
Take a glass of warm water, You can stir in 2X the amount. Add the tea bag. A little better.
Take a glass of boiling water and you can stir in 3-4X the amount. Add the tea bag and you have a sweet tea!
Take a glass of water, add a few drop of soap, then the tea bag, then the sugar. The same amount as in #3 and it all suspends in the water. For the Love of Man Don't Drink it!
The point is the surfactants in the soap open up the water molecules to accept the tea and sugar.

I have to say I am very impressed with the opinions stated so far guys. I thank you all for your responses.
I will aree that micro should be first and macros second, I use a powder that has the micros in it already(GH) I wonder how this works?
I also wonder about the "Liquid Kharma" with humic etc. And carbo? Any thoughts?

Good answers so far. :)

Jonny

Back
Top Bottom