Nutrient lockout help

Johnny5thesim

Hello all!

I’m having a calcium deficiency popping up on 2 of my 4 plants. After 2 weeks, now a third is showing the same deficiency. I have had consistently high PPM on runoff. Which may be due to over feeding. Doing 1200ppm feeds twice a week in my promix HP.

I’m looking to try a flush of sorts on one to test out the nutrient lockout idea. I can either flush with flawless finish(which I’ve read is perfect for lockout) or just do a large volume feed at half strength.

I’m at the end of week 4 Flower, so I’m concerned about them having no nutrients for 4 days until dry up, if I do the proper flush(flawless finish), and it affecting my grow at a crucial time. On the other hand, I’m worried a half strength high volume feed won’t strip the lockout.

Any informed opinions would be appreciated!

I’ve already got the deficiency identified. The cause is still being worked on. I’m leaning towards a high volume half strength feed.

Here’s mine at day 18 Flower

Attachments

• 90E5AF74-9391-4CD2-A32D-92A1518783B6.jpeg
    90E5AF74-9391-4CD2-A32D-92A1518783B6.jpeg
    861.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 46A09587-30B9-4E36-AEF7-63EF27A4336C.jpeg
    46A09587-30B9-4E36-AEF7-63EF27A4336C.jpeg
    488.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 2B72A315-18ED-4486-8ECD-831FFC4ABD82.jpeg
    2B72A315-18ED-4486-8ECD-831FFC4ABD82.jpeg
    676.3 KB · Views: 169
You could not possibly be near enough to the end at 4 weeks of flower to be ready for a week of flushing without nutrients. How soon are you expecting these buds to be done?

Ah, you just gave another clue... You are at day 18 of flower... so you are only a bit over 2 weeks in, and this is consistent with your pictures. If this is a 6 week flowering plant, you still have a month to go. Save your flush for then.

For now, why are you having a calcium deficiency? Is your pH correct? Have you tried giving additional calmag?

You could not possibly be near enough to the end at 4 weeks of flower to be ready for a week of flushing without nutrients. How soon are you expecting these buds to be done?

Ah, you just gave another clue... You are at day 18 of flower... so you are only a bit over 2 weeks in, and this is consistent with your pictures. If this is a 6 week flowering plant, you still have a month to go. Save your flush for then.

For now, why are you having a calcium deficiency? Is your pH correct? Have you tried giving additional calmag?

I’m at week 5 Flower tomorrow. I was just responding to the others post, with the 18 day thing.

I’m looking at 10-12 week flowering time I’m thinking with this sativa strain.

I was thinking it was either I had not gone full strength on nutrients. Or the possibility of me over feeding and causing a lockout.

So I tried feeding full strength(My micro nutrient has my cal mag)and was getting tip burn and new deficiency showing up on a previously unaffected plant.

I did more reading. And found that I maybe i am over feeding. I’m giving them a 1200-1400ppm feeding into my promix hp(peat)twice a week. And my runoff is stupidly high every time. It sounds like I’m supposed to give that PPM to them over the course of the week, divided by feedings.

I’m using advanced nutrients ph perfect. 5.7 going in and 6.0 coming out. Always the same!

My two most affect plants are dry and ready for something. So I’m not sure whether I should flush a bunch of half strength feed, and get the output ppm down. Or do the flawless thing:(

Attachments

• 35FC6784-FEB9-47E6-AE22-EFAD596D320A.jpeg
    35FC6784-FEB9-47E6-AE22-EFAD596D320A.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 119
That’s 2 days ago! Also one pic of the affected plants.

Attachments

• AC0AD839-4524-4673-BB67-3CAB1F24CE5B.jpeg
    AC0AD839-4524-4673-BB67-3CAB1F24CE5B.jpeg
    665.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 94B87367-012E-4355-AD3C-DF3CAE4868C0.jpeg
    94B87367-012E-4355-AD3C-DF3CAE4868C0.jpeg
    868.9 KB · Views: 123
  • A3817CFD-1A43-445D-99C5-D8332AD69B9B.jpeg
    A3817CFD-1A43-445D-99C5-D8332AD69B9B.jpeg
    715.9 KB · Views: 129
One of my pictures shows some downward curling tips, and some burn. On the plant I fed full strength. It got toxicity symptoms while showing deficiency the next day. Which suggests nitrogen toxicity? And does that not lockout calcium? That’s what my googling has led me to, anyways!

Disclaimer: I sometimes make things more complicated then needed...

I am not convinced you are seeing what you think you are. It would be very hard to be toxic one day and deficient the next, the plants just don't move that fast. Even a little bit of tip burn is not a crisis, it just indicates you are pushing a bit. I think you may be overthinking this. All I am seeing is fairly healthy plants with a definite calcium deficiency. Your system may insist that the calcium you need is in there, but obviously it is not. Supplement with come calmag and you can stop this from happening. It is common knowledge around the cannabis forums that growing under LED light or when using RO water, most people are going to need calmag at one point or another, either for magnesium early on or calcium later.

I am not convinced you are seeing what you think you are. It would be very hard to be toxic one day and deficient the next, the plants just don't move that fast. Even a little bit of tip burn is not a crisis, it just indicates you are pushing a bit. I think you may be overthinking this. All I am seeing is fairly healthy plants with a definite calcium deficiency. Your system may insist that the calcium you need is in there, but obviously it is not. Supplement with come calmag and you can stop this from happening. It is common knowledge around the cannabis forums that growing under LED light or when using RO water, most people are going to need calmag at one point or another, either for magnesium early on or calcium later.

I’m going to pickup the cal mag tomorrow. My nutrient maker says it will mess up my ph perfect thing. But I’m willing to try whatever. I can’t get it today cause no store is open to sell it to me:(

I’ll hit the next 2 ladies with some on Tuesday when they are dry! I’m going to use Botanicare cal mag plus.

I did end up putting 9L through, and my runoff is 2100ppm!! So I’m putting more through until I get it down a bunch!

I’m giving them a 1200-1400ppm feeding into my promix hp(peat)twice a week. And my runoff is stupidly high every time. It sounds like I’m supposed to give that PPM to them over the course of the week, divided by feedings.

It looks like you are trying to do a drain-to-waste, passive hydroponic grow with peat. This isn’t ideal, since peat has a high CEC, and will retain elevated levels of unused nutrients. This can cause problems, as you are aware. If it was me, I would attempt to flush with abundant half-strength, and hope for the best.

Next grow, if you want to do passive hydro, you should check out the hempy method, using a zero CEC medium like perlite. You might like it. Mistakes and deficiencies can be addressed instantly and completely.

Hempy Headquarters

Back
Top Bottom