Nutrient Question

iGROW

I use the general hydroponics waterfarms. When i initially put my seedlings into the farms the leaves got nute burns even after following what the bottles said to use. I cut it back by half and the very tops of my leaves have a pinch of yellow. So here's my question...

Does anybody know an effective nutrient dilution for the GH waterfarms. Im currently about 3 weeks into seedling.

please help =)

HYDRO GROW

Strain - Great White Shark
# of Plants - 2
Grow Type - Hydro
Grow Stage - Seedling/veggie
Setup - GH waterfarm drip system
Light - 2 150watt HPS (do i need more watts?)
Nutrients - General Hydronponics
Medium - Grodan Rockwool
PPM - ??
PH - 6.7
RH - 50% to 55%
Room Temperature -78 to 82
Solution Temperature -65 to 69
Room Square Footage - 14
Pests - None Known

Problem: The very tips of my leaves are turning yellow and i was wondering how much of the nutrients should i be using? Im using General Hyrdoponics Floramicro, florabloom, and floragrow

The 150 watt HPS are not the ideal light in grow. They have a more red (warm white) spectrum color and are mainly used in the bloom phase but I have seen grow with HPS only do quite well. You might want to add a 6400k (cool white) cfl to the grow room. Your PH is also a little high for this time in the grow ( that can effect the uptake of N which would account for your tip yellowing). Try to get it closer to 6.0 at this stage as N is more available at that ph. Change the ph a little at a time. Use around 1-1/2 ml of ph down per gallon per dose and keep dosing it every 4-6 hours or so over a 1 or 2 day period to avoid any ph fluctuation shock ( stripes on the leaves). Also, since you don't know your PPM let us know how much of each nute ( G-M-B) that you are using and whether you are using RO water or tap.

I am using the same amount of each since thats what the bottle says. Im a science major and instinct always forces me to follow directions when all else fails. So for vegetative what type light should be used? My main issue is temperature control since im using a closet with minimal venilation. Would it be ok to use a certain light for vegetative then switch back to the 150watt hps

I'm assuming the GH Flora 3 part line. If you are using bottle direction then you should be ok but in veg at this point you might want to be at 2-1-1 on the next res change. If the tips are yellowing but not getting burn that would be the fix. Just the plant talkng to you. It's not a big deal with way. A new grower should undernute rather than overnute and each plant/strain is a little different and part of learning to grow is the ability to read what the plant is telling you.

For vegatative your want a cool white or 6400k spectrum to be dominant (2-1 or 3-1). I use a combo of cfl's in veg. I use cfl for veg and nps for flower. Figure on about 40 watts of power per sq ft. I use 2- 2700k ( warm white) bulbs and 6-6400k (cool white) bulbs over my 8 sq ft grow area and have them in Lowe's reflectors. I run two 40 or 32 watts per reflector using a socket splitter. The cfl's won't be a problem heat wise. If you could find a 150watt Metal Halide (mh) that would work also.

remember different strains have different sensitivities. cut back on nutes, use only nitrogen after for a few days, then use a flourescent shop lite from your HARDWARE store. Thats all you need for veg.

Ok well I have great white shark thats growing right now. So what light is best? do i need a florescent, metal halide, or HPS? i guess HPS is out of the question until flowering

HYDRO GROW

Strain - Great White Shark
# of Plants - 2
Grow Type - Hydro
Grow Stage - Seedling/veggie
Setup - GH waterfarm drip system
Light - 2 150watt HPS (do i need more watts?)
Nutrients - General Hydronponics
Medium - Grodan Rockwool
PPM - ??
PH - 6.7
RH - 50% to 55%
Room Temperature -78 to 82
Solution Temperature -65 to 69
Room Square Footage - 14
Pests - None Known

Problem: The very tips of my leaves are turning yellow and i was wondering how much of the nutrients should i be using? Im using General Hyrdoponics Floramicro, florabloom, and floragrow

Keep that ph between 5.5-6.2 range...you too high...fix it and youll see a difference(A lil lower ph like 5.6-8 is good for seedlings in this system):grinjoint:
Thats plenty light bro..Proper venting and airflow is also necessary but your temps runnin right.

Purpdaddy is right...The light is fine, I have used hps for veg. and flower. If you are dealing with a small res say 5 gal or less, I find it easier adjusting the Ph by putting some water in a milk jug say 1/4 gal. then add your Ph down say 3 ml. then add that to your res. to adjust "much easier to control that way" Hope that helps!!!

Ok good ill do that, I'm curious though if i use these lights how much can i expect to yield? i know the seed descriptions say 300-500 grams i know thats not realistic. but is somewhere in the 100s possible?

Yield is so subjective and depends so much on the grower and strain, the general conditions and the type of growing. It's easy enough to get 2oz per plant with hydro and some lights even for a new grower. I've gotten more bud from pretty much the same plants ( clone of a clone of a clone) every grow I do. You lern so many tweaks that work for your set-up as you go along. Like most things in gardening, it takes patience with the plant and with yourself as you learn. The 300-500 they talk about is pretty much made up and requires optimum conditions, 1000 watt light and lots and lots of experience.

Back
Top Bottom