Nutrient strength for flowering

MisterSniffle

Hi everyone! My question is about nutrient strength.

The grow:
Strain: Pennywise
Plant age: 45 days from seed
Method: Indoor, tent, Deep Water Culture
Growth Phase: Flowering (just switched over)
Lighting: LED (SolarFlare 200w Full Cycle)
Nutrients: Technaflora core nutrients, some Botanicare supplements

I have this single female plant that I have just switched to a flowering photoperiod. The strain is Pennywise and the plant was 45 days old when I switched it to a 12/12 flowering photoperiod and switched from using the Vegetative nutrient formulation to the the flowering formulation.

I have grown peppers and tomatoes for years using this same nutrient regimen, and I have always fed the nutrients at full prescribed strength (except in seedling phase) with great success.

I'm newer to cannabis cultivation so I've played it pretty safe with nutrient strength on this plant. I fed Vegetative nutrient formula at 66% of 'full strength'. This level of nutrition was very successful- the plant is lush, bushy and very healthy with lots of preflowers. There's not a spot of brown or yellow anywhere. No nutrient deficiencies or toxicities.

So, I carried this approach forward and began feeding flowering solution at 66% of full strength as well. The flowering solution is already designed to be more potent than the same amount of vegetative solution but I have been wondering- with the tremendous amount of energy required for flowering, should I up the strength of my flowering solution to full prescribed strength? Or should I maintain the same proportions that were successful in vegetative growth?

I suppose I'm as greedy for maximum yield and potency as any other grower, but I sure don't want to burn this great gal with too much juice.

For fun, here's a photo I snapped while I had her out of the tent for a little while. It's kind of a crappy picture that I shot with a phone in shoddy bathroom lighting while the DWC bucket was being drained.

Pennywise plant at 45 days. Right before flowering.

Here's a better photo of this great canopy:

Showing off this same plant's incredible canopy!

:thanks:

-Sniff

Lookin' great. I've made the mistake of not feeding enough in flower and suffered from a lower yield then I would have liked.

Just keep increasing the feed slowly and if you see some burn on the tips then you know to dial back a bit. If you went from 66% to 100% then perhaps that would be worrisome but just increase slowly, perhaps 10% at a time. Paying attention to your tips.

Hi JJ - I'm doing a reservoir change today, so I'll up the juice about 10 or 15% today and see how it goes.

I was hoping maybe another grower had notes on their feeding schedule for Pennywise, but this seems to be a somewhat rare strain among private growers. I'll just have to continue keeping good notes, I guess. Maybe I can be that resource for another grower sometime in the future :)

Thanks!

-Sniff

Back
Top Bottom