Nutrients for germinating seeds before the vegetative stage

fasttanoy

Evening folks, I was wondering if anyone had any thought on what nutrients germinating seeds require before they are transplanted and the vegetative stage begins.

I plan to grow in coco coir, and germinate in a propagation chamber under a fluorescent light..

I've read that new seedlings are very sensitive to nutrients and can suffer from nutrient burn, however my gardening supplier (who doesn't know what I'm using his pots for!) suggest I use a nutrient called vega start and rhizotonic and trichoderma powder. Is this wise?

Thanks!

I'll start by saying I'm a first time grower. I started my seedlings in a soilless mix and didn't give them anything but pH'd water for their first two weeks. In hindsight, had my containers dried out a little faster, I probably could have given them some light nutes a few days earlier but they grew just fine without.

I think you'll find opinions on either side of the fence about how best to start the seeds. Sometimes the strain selection can play a role in the decision as well as grower preference. I chose to keep variables as simple as I could to start with.

Good luck and happy growing,
/Obi-Wan Cannabinoid
:peace:

I consider mine seedlings until the first set of 5 fingered leaves are completely formed. I've grown the past year in coco and generally don't give anything but some water until then unless the little initial round "cotysomething" leaves go brown or drop. They have whatever the seedling needs to grow early on imho. If they go brown or drop before the 5 fingers show, I water with a little Cal Mag added; in coco, you might as well get used to needing cal/mag anyways and it has some nitrogen in it to sustain until they're big enough for some real nutes.

Back
Top Bottom