Nutrients for seedlings in Gro-Mix HP

Felix the Dog

I have usually used a dirt ++ mix for seedlings, but this year I used Pro-Mix HP. I now have seedlings of 4 inches or so with multiple leaves, growing nicely for the most part, in 4 inch pots. It suddenly occurred to me that since Pro-Mix HP is made of :
* Canadian sphagnum peat moss (65-75%,) * Perlite, * Dolomitic & calcitic limestone (pH adjuster,) * and Mycorrhizae, there isn't much if anything in the way of nutrients except for peat moss and water. Will these critters require any nutrients added in the 2 to 2 1/2 weeks before they go to the wilderness and a big dirt/compost/aeration mass. (Yes, they will go out rather small in 4 inch pots, for practical reasons.) Thanks for any nutritional advice.

I have usually used a dirt ++ mix for seedlings, but this year I used Pro-Mix HP. I now have seedlings of 4 inches or so with multiple leaves, growing nicely for the most part, in 4 inch pots. It suddenly occurred to me that since Pro-Mix HP is made of :
* Canadian sphagnum peat moss (65-75%,) * Perlite, * Dolomitic & calcitic limestone (pH adjuster,) * and Mycorrhizae, there isn't much if anything in the way of nutrients except for peat moss and water. Will these critters require any nutrients added in the 2 to 2 1/2 weeks before they go to the wilderness and a big dirt/compost/aeration mass. (Yes, they will go out rather small in 4 inch pots, for practical reasons.) Thanks for any nutritional advice.
A bit confused on what ur asking here but what I'm getting is ur asking how long ur plants can go in pro mix HP with out nutes. The answer to that is usually 2-3 weeks then there gonna start wanting food

Thanks for that reply. It might have helped had my brain not typed "Gro Mix" instead of "Pro Mix."

Is there a liquid mix I can pour on to support them for the next 2 weeks?

Hey Felix. :snowboating:
There is definitely enough nutrients in the soil and power in the genetics to sustain itself the first 2-3 weeks. In the beginning less is more, so they will not need much in the beginning. Once you see they need something, then you can think about what you'd like to give them. Get a grow journal going and we can follow your grow and give some input.
Good luck and happy growing :Namaste:

Thanks for that reply. It might have helped had my brain not typed "Gro Mix" instead of "Pro Mix."

Is there a liquid mix I can pour on to support them for the next 2 weeks?
@irie lion is right don't worry about feeding in the first two to three weeks and ya getting a journal going would be great you will definitely get more feedback if ya do :thumb:

Can always add a tbs or 2 of EWC and top dress and water in. Cant hurt.

I usually start my cuts and seed starts in a week humus and CSPM mix of some of my soil I have laying around. EWC and peat moss will last 4-6 weeks like that until they start getting larger.

Back
Top Bottom