Nutrients

AliceGG

Hey there.

I'm on my way to my first grow, my led will arrive in a few days and if everything goes as planned, I'll germinate my first seeds around the end of February.
Now I'm a bit confused about getting the proper soil and additional nutrients for my plants. I tried searching for info, but what I found were mostly 5-10-year-old threads, so the data written there may be a bit outdated. I'll grow autos, purchased from Royal Queen Seeds. I'm still undecided between Royal Jack Auto (this is the auto version of Jack Herer if I'm not mistaken) and Royal AK Auto.
The seedbank's site says that autos barely need any nutrients since they grow so fast, they may even be stunned from too much nutrients. However, they definitely need a little amount. That's where I'm looking for help.

I found this brand called Plagron, they seem to have professional soils with different nutrient levels. Are any of you familiar with this brand?
The following type of soils are available in my country:
Plagron Lightmix (with 20% perlite)
Ec: 0.8-1.2
pH: 5.5-7
N-P-K: 12-14-24

Plagron Growmix (with 20% perlite)
Ec: 1.2-1.6
pH: 5.5-6.5
N-P-K: 12-14-24

Plagron Allmix
(with 27% perlite)
Ec:1.5-2
pH: 6.5-7.5
N-P-K: 1-2-1

Plagron Batmix (with guano, this one has no perlite in it I believe)
Ec: 1.8-2.1
pH: 6-7
N-P-K: 3-15-4

Plagron Royalmix (with 23% perlite)
Ec: 1.5-2
pH: 6.5-7.5
N-P-K: 1-2-1

Would any of the above soils be fine for planting auto plants in it?
If not, can you give me a guidance about what should I look for?
There are several other brands I could purchase, these are the following:
Biobizz, Canna, Guanokalong and others

The other thing is additional nutrients. Here I have a ton of brands to choose from, sadly many of them differ from each other so much that I'm totally lost in confusion. Several brands have xxx Grow and xxx Bloom products, but the N-P-K ratio in them is like a bunch of random numbers. Some of them have a very high P number, while others have extreme K numbers, but of course, all description says that this one product will be fine for your plants.
So once again, what are the basic N-P-K numbers that I should look for my auto plants during vegetative and flowering period?
I'll list brands, so if any of their products are proven to be ok, I'd be quite happy:
Compo-Bio
Advanced Nutrients
Advanced Hydroponics of Holland
Aptus Plant Care
Biotabs, Biobizz
Bio Nova
Guanokalong
Canna
BioCanna
Plagron
Growth Technology
Green House Feeding
Hesi
Mills
Innovating Plant
Microbe Life

I apologize for such a long question for such a seemingly easy question, but you know, I don't want to mess it up .)
Any input is welcome! :green_heart:

It is a minefield and like you I'm learning too.
Hey, Can you go organic?

I don't live in a separate house, it's a block of flats, I'm on the top floor. So if you mean breeding worms and rotting bananas, then no, I can't go organic, haha :D
But some of the above mentioned products claim to be fully organic, so that's something at least.

Lots of choices. :eek: Most brands are the same ingredients just repackaged. That comes from my experience working in retail for a cannabis supply/grow store.

There are a few lines/brands that stand out from what you mentioned. Canna is one. We all know Mills pays the bills. Lot of people use Advanced.

So, if I was you. Running autos,,, first, I'd use a light soil mix bc autos can be nutrient sensitive especially early on. The Plagron light mix looks good. Im a little hesitant to advise on the next level mix, the Plagron Grow mix bc the EC listed. That might be too much too soon. Or, I'm just a Sally and tend to under feed (at first).

For nutrients, for an auto, I'm a big fan of Canna. The soil A&B base is solid. It's got a balanced NPK profile that you can adjust down the line with their additives. I'd run the whole Canna line if you have access to it. Go on their website and they have great interactive feed charts. ;)

The NPK for an auto early on will be much like a photo. Balanced. Moving into flower you'll need to cut back on the N, while increasing the PK. Plenty of material out there to read about that. Just know that following a specific cannabis line will generally get you where you need to be.

As you grow more, the need and desire to learn more and deeper will happen, or it won't. Some folks just want it simple (KISS) while others want more. To each his own ;)

Best of luck to you :Namaste:

Thank you @MassMedMan.
I do have access to the Canna products, I'm guessing I need the Canna Terra line since this is for soil.
In the webshop I can see Terra Vega, Terra Flores, Rhizotonic, Start, Cannazym, Boost and PK 13/14. So I'll need the first two for vegging and flowering and PK13/14 for flowering also. I can decide about the others while I'm into it.

I've also read that most plants need CalMag nutrients somewhen in their lifetime, but I haven't really found anything that contains calcium or magnesium, or at least it's not listed. Do you have a tip for that?

edit: Oke, I've just realized I can buy Canna Cal and Canna Mag separately, it was in another section of the webshop.

Checked my notes from meeting with the Canna rep back in the day.... George. I've never ran the line, but took some notes, and it was a very popular product at that store I worked at...

If you can get your hands on the Canna Terra soil its got Cal Mag in it.

Otherwise, that separate cal and mag you mentioned will do.

Canna Start is a good baby food.

Rhizo is a cold pressed kelp extract that'll really green them up, helps with rooting, and is a very good band aid should you run into problems.

Cannazym breaks down root matter

Boost is a metabolic enhancer that stimulates chlorophyll production. Pushes out more resin/oil

PK 13/14 - on short flower time plants hit them wk 3&4 for long flower hit them wk 5&6

That's some genetic notes. Their website is also very useful.

Keep in mind all these additives are meant to work together, in a system. I know folks add to the Canna system once they've got it down. But, I would only recommend that once you've got a few grows under yer belt

I'd go light on any autos until you feel comfortable. Better to grow something and learn a lot from it, rather than kill something and not learn as much.

Good luck.

Keep in mind all these additives are meant to work together, in a system. I know folks add to the Canna system once they've got it down. But, I would only recommend that once you've got a few grows under yer belt

I'd go light on any autos until you feel comfortable. Better to grow something and learn a lot from it, rather than kill something and not learn as much.

Good luck.

Thanks, I'll definitely be careful when addig any nutrients. I think I'll go with that 12-14-24 lightmix, there's already a lot in it, so I might not use any additional thing in the first few weeks.

I will use a Vander led light (draws ~250 watt from the wall) in an approx. 50 × 90 × 140 cm (1,7 × 3 × 4,7 feet) wardrobe. This is for two plants. What do you think about the size of the pots I should use? According to the data sheet of the strains, they will not grow taller than 70-80 cm.
I'm thinking about using two 12 or 15l pots. Would they be enough or should I go for 25l pots?

I would go with the 12L. That's if yer using fabric pots. If not you may want the 15s.

How do you plan on germination your seeds?

Years ago I germinated a few seeds (but haven't grown them into plants after) with the paper towel method. They were most likely bad quality seeds, I found them in street weed that I purchased back then. I can't remember exactly, but the ratio was like 3 germinated out of 10-12.

I think this time I will go with the mini cubes. The brand is Cocogreen and they are basically cococoir cubes with added nutrients necesarry for germination.
I have a few other choices too, these are:
Root Riot
Root!t
Eazy Plug
Romberg
Talpa Block
Jiffy
I don't really know much about how good they are, based on the descriptions, Cocogreen seems to be the most desirable.
As I'm writing this, a question popped into my mind. Would it be better to use the paper towel method until the first little root appears and put the seeds into the cubes after it, or should I put them right into the cubes and germinate them there? Which is the more beginnerproof way?

I use root riots, or prefer them. I've used or tried a lot of methods. The paper towel method seems to work the most consistent. I prefer soaking them for 24hrs to soften the shell. ;)

Ok, I'll get the root riots .) Soaking is a good tip, I guess it can't do any harm to the seeds.

I planned to use simple plastic pots, but now I'm wondering if these so called Air-Pots would worth the extra money? The description says that the roots won't roll around on the inner surface of the pot (as they would in a normally shaped pot) but rather reach the outer atmosphere through the small holes, then they get dehydrated there, which result in newly developed roots elsewhere.
Would it really work like that? I have a feeling that this product is more fancier than useful actually.

I've never used them. But they're very popular and I get the concept. Plastic cans are usually a no go for me (except for small plants), except them. That's bc the store I worked at sold just as many of them, as they did the fabric pots, to savvy customers. And those who used them swore by them so I'd give them a shot.

Back
Top Bottom