OAP First Grow: Aurora Indica Indoors

Sweetumz

OAP

OAP quote for this Journal: "One of the simplest ideas for me to appreciate is observing something so small grow into something of beauty despite all circumstances."

Intro: I was not planning on creating an online journal, however after all of the information and knowledge i acquired from others, I felt that i should contribute my little part, and be open to any guidance that more experienced growers may have for me. I personally have been smoking for three years, and just thought it would be fun to try growing for my friends and I. I have built my own grow box and did a little paint job on it. I hope I am successful in my growing ability and preparation, but will still persevere if I am not. Originally I was looking for clones online, but my lack of trust in the general population and wanting a reliable source led me to ordering seeds online. Everything you see costed roughly $450 at this point. I am two weeks into the grow.

Plan: In the grow box, I plan on having 3 plants and will only be focusing on those for my first time. I've had 5 shots of some terrible vodka before and during this first post so bear with me. And a great dinner prepared for myself: Chicken/Rice/Carrots/Broccoli. The same dinner I have been preparing for myself for the last 3 months. Back on track I am going with the flow and will make adjustments to my operation as time progresses and advice is given. Please feel free to offer advice or any comments as that's what part of this is for. Hope everyone can use this as a resource and enjoy watching my babies grow up. Why am i typing? Let's get to it.

Starting Equipment and Info:

Grow Box: 4' x 2' x 6' - Plywood/Mylar Film/Adhesive Spray/Wood Screws
Inline Fan w/ Charcoal Filter: 190 CFM - No settings, just plug in and let the air flow
Light: 400 Watt HPS/MH - Settings(50%/70%/100%/Super Lumen)
Soil: Fox Farms - 35% Happy Frog/ 35% Ocean Forest/ 30% Perlite
Seeds: 5 Nirvana's Feminized "Aurora Indica"

Note: Any information I don't provide relevant to the grow... please ask. And if curious about anything I will do my best to answer. Pictures do more than my words and so much easier to read than text so I will try to be adamant on quality and quantity pics!

Initial Pictures:

This is my grow box I created. I wanted a discreet op that I could use wherever I am. This is what i came up with. Perhaps not that discreet, but warms up my living room and has a neat design for decoration!

20170404_174628.jpg
20170404_174700.jpg
20170404_174739.jpg
20170404_174755.jpg

Arrived seeds. 5 AI seeds and 10 Mystery Seeds. I germinated all 5 AI seeds by immediately putting them in moist Jiffy Pellets. If you can notice, 2 of the 10 mystery seed's capsules had been broken so i put both in 1 pellet and stored the remaining 8.

20170321_141014.jpg

5 AI germinating in the cake pan with a plastic humidity dome. 2 mystery seeds in the one pellet germinating in the small glass cup.

20170322_104048.jpg

3 of 5 AI seeds sprouted within 3-4 days and the mystery seed sprouted first and seemed to be doing the best. After first leaves came out I removed the plastic dome and exposed them to the light. The cooking sheet with aluminum and paper towels were intended to increase humidity(which in a micro climate, that may work, but didn't notice more than a 3-4% difference in the remote temp/RH monitor).

20170325_165537.jpg

My first mistake was over watering the seedlings as I noticed crispy and curling behavior among the first leaves. I was watering too frequently and too much. Fix: less watering and they seemed to recover within 2-3 days. This picture doesn't depict the signs of the issue but these are the babies maybe a week old.

20170329_161832.jpg

As I have just started this Journal today(14 days from receiving the seeds), these are what they look like as of two weeks into their life.
Day 14

20170403_185711.jpg
20170404_102547.jpg

Concerns: Humidity has been a constant between 26-30%... in which i conclude is low for ideal conditions. Temperature is on an average of 77 degrees(Fahrenheit), although goes from about 73 at night and up to 80 during the day. One of these four are going to have to say goodbye(likely the most prominent appearing one right now as I don't know the gender). Front left.. the mystery. Any comments or advice is much appreciated.

OAP

OAP quote for this Journal: "One of the simplest ideas for me to appreciate is observing something so small grow into something of beauty despite all circumstances."

Intro: I was not planning on creating an online journal, however after all of the information and knowledge i acquired from others, I felt that i should contribute my little part, and be open to any guidance that more experienced growers may have for me. I personally have been smoking for three years, and just thought it would be fun to try growing for my friends and I. I have built my own grow box and did a little paint job on it. I hope I am successful in my growing ability and preparation, but will still persevere if I am not. Originally I was looking for clones online, but my lack of trust in the general population and wanting a reliable source led me to ordering seeds online. Everything you see costed roughly $450 at this point. I am two weeks into the grow.

Plan: In the grow box, I plan on having 3 plants and will only be focusing on those for my first time. I've had 5 shots of some terrible vodka before and during this first post so bear with me. And a great dinner prepared for myself: Chicken/Rice/Carrots/Broccoli. The same dinner I have been preparing for myself for the last 3 months. Back on track I am going with the flow and will make adjustments to my operation as time progresses and advice is given. Please feel free to offer advice or any comments as that's what part of this is for. Hope everyone can use this as a resource and enjoy watching my babies grow up. Why am i typing? Let's get to it.

Starting Equipment and Info:

Grow Box: 4' x 2' x 6' - Plywood/Mylar Film/Adhesive Spray/Wood Screws
Inline Fan w/ Charcoal Filter: 190 CFM - No settings, just plug in and let the air flow
Light: 400 Watt HPS/MH - Settings(50%/70%/100%/Super Lumen)
Soil: Fox Farms - 35% Happy Frog/ 35% Ocean Forest/ 30% Perlite
Seeds: 5 Nirvana's Feminized "Aurora Indica"

Note: Any information I don't provide relevant to the grow... please ask. And if curious about anything I will do my best to answer. Pictures do more than my words and so much easier to read than text so I will try to be adamant on quality and quantity pics!

Initial Pictures:

This is my grow box I created. I wanted a discreet op that I could use wherever I am. This is what i came up with. Perhaps not that discreet, but warms up my living room and has a neat design for decoration!

20170404_174628.jpg
20170404_174700.jpg
20170404_174739.jpg
20170404_174755.jpg

Arrived seeds. 5 AI seeds and 10 Mystery Seeds. I germinated all 5 AI seeds by immediately putting them in moist Jiffy Pellets. If you can notice, 2 of the 10 mystery seed's capsules had been broken so i put both in 1 pellet and stored the remaining 8.

20170321_141014.jpg

5 AI germinating in the cake pan with a plastic humidity dome. 2 mystery seeds in the one pellet germinating in the small glass cup.

20170322_104048.jpg

3 of 5 AI seeds sprouted within 3-4 days and the mystery seed sprouted first and seemed to be doing the best. After first leaves came out I removed the plastic dome and exposed them to the light. The cooking sheet with aluminum and paper towels were intended to increase humidity(which in a micro climate, that may work, but didn't notice more than a 3-4% difference in the remote temp/RH monitor).

20170325_165537.jpg

My first mistake was over watering the seedlings as I noticed crispy and curling behavior among the first leaves. I was watering too frequently and too much. Fix: less watering and they seemed to recover within 2-3 days. This picture doesn't depict the signs of the issue but these are the babies maybe a week old.

20170329_161832.jpg

As I have just started this Journal today(14 days from receiving the seeds), these are what they look like as of two weeks into their life.
Day 14

20170403_185711.jpg
20170404_102547.jpg

Concerns: Humidity has been a constant between 26-30%... in which i conclude is low for ideal conditions. Temperature is on an average of 77 degrees(Fahrenheit), although goes from about 73 at night and up to 80 during the day. One of these four are going to have to say goodbye(likely the most prominent appearing one right now as I don't know the gender). Front left.. the mystery. Any comments or advice is much appreciated.
They look great. You do need to bring up the humidity though. However everything looks great.

Welcome sweetumz! I'm new too and also have a 400w mh/hps light so I'm very interested in watching your girls!
May I ask why you stuck 2 seeds into one plug?
Your cabinet is beautiful! I love the paint job! Is your mh/hps light in there? I ask because my light throws TONS of heat. I grow in a basement closet that is roughly 4'x6'x8' and I have to sometimes crack the door to keep temps down. Of course I don't have all the fans I think I really need yet.
Wishing you many happy greens!

Leo, I have a aluminum tray with a little reservoir of water to increase humidity. Makes a slight difference and increases humidity around 4%. I think i will just invest in a cheap humidifier for optimal conditions. Thanks for the input. Perhaps I will add a bowl of water as well. What about using a spray bottle 2-3 times a day? Think that might remedy the situation?

Leo, I have a aluminum tray with a little reservoir of water to increase humidity. Makes a slight difference and increases humidity around 4%. I think i will just invest in a cheap humidifier for optimal conditions. Thanks for the input. Perhaps I will add a bowl of water as well. What about using a spray bottle 2-3 times a day? Think that might remedy the situation?
I'm pretty new too growing so i can't say anything from experience about misting them, but i can say from what I've read that some people do misty their plants but usually only after lights out because the water will magnify the light and burn the plants, I've also read you can spray the underside of the plant and they shouldn't burn

Vespertine, I can only handle 3 plants at once at this time and had 5 AI seeds. I was only going to start the aurora indica seeds, however 2 of the 10 free "Mystery Seeds" they sent plastic seal had been broken, so I decided to experiment with them a little. I didn't use any humidity control while they were germinating and didn't really care how they turned out. I didn't water as much, but both seeds germinated and I surgically pulled out the slower growing stem once it came out next to the stronger one. About the light, I have 4 settings, and each setting is a temperature difference of about 4 degrees. I have it at 100% right now which sets the grow box at around 80 degrees during the day. At 70%, the temp is around 76-77 degrees. I'm in a relatively cool area so heat won't be much of an issue hopefully. I do have a normal fan circulating air inside the box as well as the inline fan. Hope I can help and hope your grow goes well. Thanks for the interest. =)

Aye... yes. I recall reading about that as well, but forgot about having the light on. Could cause a little hole in the leaves as i've observed in some previous research. Thanks again. Glad to have you onboard.

Hey there! Yes, I have burned leaves from water getting on my leaves so be careful with that. I hsve a problem keeping my humidity up too. Maybe the light just evaporates it instantly, idk... I need a second humidifier, I think.
I have an old school light so I can only go full power~ I'm sure you've thought all this through since your set up is so well made! I'm excited to see how it goes! The people here are so helpful so I'm sure you will be successful!

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom