Obama Might Sign Executive Order Removing Marijuana From Schedule One

Katelyn Baker

The outgoing president will sign an executive order reversing President Richard Nixon's 1970 order, listing Marijuana as a Schedule One Drug, forbidden at all times. This is said to have been a jab at 1960's "Hippy Culture."

President Barack Obama, who wrote of experimenting with marijuana as a young man, will legalize marijuana on his way out of office. He will make pot a Class II drug, legal under Federal law with a doctors prescription. States will be able to continue to outlaw marijuana, if they choose. About half of US States now permit medicinal cannabis or recreational marijuana, within certain limits.

Obama says pot should be treated like cigarettes and alcohol.

"I am not somebody who believes that legalization is a panacea," Obama said. "But I do believe that treating this as a public-health issue, the same way we do with cigarettes or alcohol, is the much smarter way to deal with it. It is untenable over the long term for the Justice Department or the DEA to be enforcing a patchwork of laws, where something that's legal in one state could get you a 20-year prison sentence in another," Obama told Rolling Stone magazine.

Libertarian Presidential Candidate Gary Johnson predicted legalization, speaking in the Washington Times. Johnson says he thinks President Obama is going to remove marijuana from the government's "Schedule I" list of narcotics considered particularly harmful and addictive before January 20th, changing Federal policy with the stroke of a pen.

"It's going to be just like alcohol," Mr. Johnson told The Washington Times. "I'm going to predict that Obama, when he leaves office, is going to reschedule marijuana as a Class I narcotic. I wish he would have done that to this point, but I think he's going to do that going out the door. That's a positive."

On Tuesday, Obama pardoned 79 felons convicted of drug offenses, commuting their sentences. Obama has pardoned 1000 felons, more than his ten predecessors. Under his administration, the Drug Enforcement Administration has largely ignored states that legalize marijuana. The DEA has largely left alone marijuana offenses, as a matter of policy.

Marijuana is currently on the Schedule I list alongside drugs like LSD and heroin. The Drug Enforcement Agency defines Class I drugs as having a high potential for abuse and no currently accepted medical use.

Democrat Hillary Clinton, among others, suggested reclassifying the drug under Schedule or Class II. Those drugs include cocaine, but also certain painkillers like oxycodone that are available with a medical prescription.

Mr. Johnson's campaign followed up by saying that the former governor would prefer that the president remove marijuana from the controlled substances list entirely, allowing states to legalize and regulate as they and their voters choose.

Donald Trump's pick for Attorney General is a Reagan era prosecutor, Jeff Sessions. "Sessions is not one of those people who feel the drug war is over. He's not going to reschedule it," says one expert. "It's one of the most evil failed policies, up there with Jim Crow and slavery. If you feel that someone should be thrown in a cage for a consensual, victimless transaction, you are evil. For this reason, OBama will pardon Marijuana as he pardons so many drug offenders, black and white."

The Obama administration is further relaxing the nation's stance on marijuana, said the New York Times in August. "President Obama has said he views it as no more dangerous than alcohol, and the Justice Department has not stood in the way of states that have legalized the drug."

s_topTEMP900x420-6221.jpeg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Obama Will Sign Executive Order Removing Marijuana From Schedule One
Author: Stan Greene
Photo Credit: None Found

The outgoing president will sign an executive order reversing President Richard Nixon's 1970 order, listing Marijuana as a Schedule One Drug, forbidden at all times. This is said to have been a jab at 1960's "Hippy Culture."

President Barack Obama, who wrote of experimenting with marijuana as a young man, will legalize marijuana on his way out of office. He will make pot a Class II drug, legal under Federal law with a doctors prescription. ...........snip.........

Why would it be rescheduled to II when synthetic THC, the psychoactive component, is already schedule III?

I doubt this is true. Santa Monica observer also said that the DEA was going to reschedule because they got "information" from a insider... I call BS

Sad for a lame duck, sad for marijuana activist. The same old lame promises. Obama was ineffective, silent and absent when he had power and could influence change, the audacity of a lame duck president.# not holding my breath.

If he does, why would the federal government allow us to continue cultivating & selling at any level, in any state?

Do they allow us in any state to make and/or sell Oxycontin, Xanax, Valium on the same schedule?

I'm confused as to why nobody is talking about this.

Obama Might Sign Executive Order Removing Marijuana From Schedule One

It's a white elephant driven by money at this point. Obama has already said he wouldn't change the scheduling as he didn't want to be known as the "marijuana president", yet the war on drugs is such a failed policy not doing it seems like a worse legacy to the learned. The world's views are changing on cannabis, but sadly they're changing very slowly...too slowly in many cases to help may who could greatly benefit from it RIGHT NOW (look at the way Mexico is planning on legalizing it as a good example). I can honestly say things have already changed more than I thought they would in my lifetime, but with all I've learned in the last 5 years, I'm still ashamed it hasn't progressed further.

If he does, why would the federal government allow us to continue cultivating & selling at any level, in any state?

Do they allow us in any state to make and/or sell Oxycontin, Xanax, Valium on the same schedule?

Some of those are still patented, the rest you could presumably make but it would have to pass rigorous testing by the FDA it couldn't be basement Valium it would have to be as high of quality as brand name. It's harder to ask that of a plant

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Rescheduling would help some things, but hurt others...

De-scheduling would be the better option...

If it was lowered from I to II, then it would allow for easier banking solutions for canna busineses which are still virtually non existent except for some state run credit unions and banks.

Rescheduling it to a 2 would allow doctors to prescribe it with a written prescription, which may open the doors to intrastate commerce.

But I think that rescheduling would do more harm than good...

First off, we all know that cannabis should not even be on the scheduled drugs list... not at all! by allowing and basically accepting a lower scheduling would only stick us in decades of fighting to remove it down the road... Its like divorcing a cheating wife/husband to marry a woman/man who cheats less often.. what good would that do?

With it having accepted medical use and lawfully allowed to be prescribed by doctors, then it also would blow open the doors for FDA regulations jammed down our throat, which pretty much would end cannabis as we legally know it, force the market back underground where only multi million dollar pharma companies with corporate backing would would be able to afford the long extensive processes for FDA approval. This most certainly would push anyone without millions of dollars for FDA approved facilities out of the game..This would mean FDA approved dosing systems with accuracy, FDA approved facilities, FDA approved packaging and labels, FDA trials and approval on the effectiveness, side effects and human testing... You can't get antibiotics in smokable form, or an brownie, or wax, or really any form other than liquid, shot or pill. Schedule 2 would do the same to the cannabis industry. (at least the medical side)

I'm not sure how it would influence the recreational side though... hard to say. Since technically its still federally illegal, and the cole memo is pretty much one of the few protections we have... not sure if it would do much to recreational at all or if it would flip it upside down.

The problem with any de or rescheduling is our "need" to abide by international drug laws... DEA just announced today that even CBD oil extracted from hemp is illegal... why did they make this adjustment to the context of extracts... because of international law....

I'm so sick of this BS! deschedule it, treat it like alcohol or nicotine, and let us be free. I can't stand these "government knows best" rules, laws and regulations.

I guess since Obamacare isn't panning out to be the trophy to carry on his legacy, maybe descheduling might be a good option for Obama, so at least people will say, "hes the president that legalized weed" which would be better than "hes the president that forced Americans to pay for affordable insurance they couldn't afford". Much better to be remembered for legalizing weed than destroying our nations ability for small businesses to insure their employees. :)

Call me jaded but...

It just seems like the table is being set to make cannabis like any other pharmaceutical.
The so called moral majority must make a profit. For some reason you cannot use something
that makes you feel good as a medicine. Odd thought.

We are here to make you well, not feel good.

The right people must make money and the rest of us must be controlled. Jailed. Used.
Our society is about profit and little else.

I hope that I am wrong. I hope all the useless bull ends. I hope.

Changing that you were scheduled to actually gives the government more power to strangle hold it As they could require @ rigorous testing " before any doctor could legally prescribed it, seen as most medical tests require at least 10 years, I predict that if this does become schedule to, the Republicans Will keep it scheduled to for the advantage of it being under lock and key for at least 10 years. Change it from schedule I to schedule II it's pretty much the same as giving a dog a poisoned bone. Yeah it looks good, until you bite into it and realize that there's something not quite right inside.

Another carrot on a stick being held aloft by a donkey soon to be ex-president? I suppose we can always "hope" for "change" from Obama but given eight years of predictable false platitudes from that clown I will celebrate only after it comes about.

Contrary to what this article implies about the present DEA marijuana stance, The DEA is very much alive and well and working to persecute cannabis growers and users in the police states. The DEA (And the administration's justice department) very much supports and assist the local drug interdiction teams and prosecutors working across the country in the repressive states, to persecute people for marijuana offenses! While I hope the chicken ____ Obama does reschedule marijuana on his way out, why has he let so many people go to prison and even die over this issue, except for his own political gain? He could of done this four years ago or eight years ago! Now , if he does anything positive, it stands to be undone by the incoming ___heads! No living president, from either party, has used their authority to end this injustice up to now, including Obama, Carter, the Bushes and the Clintons! If President Obama had acted a couple of years ago the positive momentum would of made reversing the policy difficult to nearly impossible! His party's donors in the corporate world of big pharma, alcohol and other areas, are very aware of these facts and he is too! So, while we all can remain hopeful of positive change in these "archaic" prohibition laws, it might all now prove to be too little ,too late! I would like to see all the living presidents charged with crimes against the constitution and violating civil rights of cannabis users , imprisoned and retroactively impeached and stripped of all special pensions and protection! Maybe, we'll get lucky now that the momentum of popular support for legalization is accepted fact. Most Politicians understand that!

President Barack Obama, who wrote of experimenting with marijuana as a young man, will legalize marijuana on his way out of office. He will make pot a Class II drug, legal under Federal law with a doctors prescription. States will be able to continue to outlaw marijuana, if they choose. About half of US States now permit medicinal cannabis or recreational marijuana, within certain limits.

Obama says pot should be treated like cigarettes and alcohol.

"I am not somebody who believes that legalization is a panacea," Obama said. "But I do believe that treating this as a public-health issue, the same way we do with cigarettes or alcohol, is the much smarter way to deal with it. It is untenable over the long term for the Justice Department or the DEA to be enforcing a patchwork of laws, where something that's legal in one state could get you a 20-year prison sentence in another," Obama told Rolling Stone magazine.

Libertarian Presidential Candidate Gary Johnson predicted legalization, speaking in the Washington Times. Johnson says he thinks President Obama is going to remove marijuana from the government's "Schedule I" list of narcotics considered particularly harmful and addictive before January 20th, changing Federal policy with the stroke of a pen.

"It's going to be just like alcohol," Mr. Johnson told The Washington Times. "I'm going to predict that Obama, when he leaves office, is going to reschedule marijuana as a Class I narcotic. I wish he would have done that to this point, but I think he's going to do that going out the door. That's a positive."

On Tuesday, Obama pardoned 79 felons convicted of drug offenses, commuting their sentences. Obama has pardoned 1000 felons, more than his ten predecessors. Under his administration, the Drug Enforcement Administration has largely ignored states that legalize marijuana. The DEA has largely left alone marijuana offenses, as a matter of policy.

Marijuana is currently on the Schedule I list alongside drugs like LSD and heroin. The Drug Enforcement Agency defines Class I drugs as having a high potential for abuse and no currently accepted medical use.

Democrat Hillary Clinton, among others, suggested reclassifying the drug under Schedule or Class II. Those drugs include cocaine, but also certain painkillers like oxycodone that are available with a medical prescription.

Mr. Johnson's campaign followed up by saying that the former governor would prefer that the president remove marijuana from the controlled substances list entirely, allowing states to legalize and regulate as they and their voters choose.

Donald Trump's pick for Attorney General is a Reagan era prosecutor, Jeff Sessions. "Sessions is not one of those people who feel the drug war is over. He's not going to reschedule it," says one expert. "It's one of the most evil failed policies, up there with Jim Crow and slavery. If you feel that someone should be thrown in a cage for a consensual, victimless transaction, you are evil. For this reason, OBama will pardon Marijuana as he pardons so many drug offenders, black and white."

The Obama administration is further relaxing the nation's stance on marijuana, said the New York Times in August. "President Obama has said he views it as no more dangerous than alcohol, and the Justice Department has not stood in the way of states that have legalized the drug."

s_topTEMP900x420-6221.jpeg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Obama Will Sign Executive Order Removing Marijuana From Schedule One
Author: Stan Greene
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom