Obama's Half-Brother George Busted For Marijuana In Kenya

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The 24-year-old, who denies the allegation, is due to appear in court on Monday after spending the weekend behind bars.

President Obama's young half-sibling was in the headlines last year after it was revealed that he was living in a corrugated iron shack in a sprawling slum as his brother ran for the most powerful job in the world.

George, who was the son of Mr Obama's father by his second wife, was one of the president's few close relatives who did not travel to Washington for the inauguration on Jan 20.

The two met previously when Mr Obama visited his ancestral homeland in an encounter that he described as a "painful affair" in his memoir Dreams from My Father.

Inspector Augustine Mutembei said the trainee mechanic would face charges of possession of cannabis and resisting arrest.

But the accused man protested his innocence in comments from behind bars. "They took me from my home," he told a CNN reporter after alerting the local correspondent with a telephone call. "I don't know why they are charging me."

Barack Obama Sr met the president's mother while they were both college students in Hawaii. The couple later divorced and he moved back to Kenya where he remarried.

George, his youngest child, was just six months old when his father died in a car crash and lives with his mother's relatives in the Nairobi slum of Huruma.

Despite his humble background, he was angered by magazine reports last year that he was living in poverty on less than a dollar a day.

"I was brought up well," he said in a subsequent interview. "I live well even now. I think I kind of like it here. There are some challenges, but maybe it is just like where you come from, there are the same challenges."

George Obama is not the first member of the president's extended African family to make the news. Last year, it was reported that his paternal aunt Zeituni Onyango was an illegal immigrant to the US living in a rundown public housing estate in South Boston.

George-Obama_1250665c.jpg

George Hussein Onyango Obama the youngest half-brother of Barack Obama outside his home in the Huruma slum in Nairobi, September 2008 Photo: EPA

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Telegraph
Author: Philip Sherwell
Copyright: 2009 Telegraph Media Group Limited
Website: Barack Obama's half-brother George arrested in Kenya on drug charges - Telegraph

Back
Top Bottom