Obi's AK-48 - A Grow Journal & Review

I wanted to take a look at the trichome development and density this evening. It's still quite early but I want to see what things look like. I observed mostly clear and some cloudy trichs through the scope. The heads are on the larger side with a juicy, bulbous shape.

It was quite a chore trying to take pics through the scope. Most shots failed miserably. Here are a few that mostly made it.

Cheers!
/Obi

I picked up one of the cheap usb doodads not long ago. It's a little hard to use. Mainly using the focus knob is hard and shifts your view around often. I still like it. Not great, but functional. Depth of field is not great.

Fri_Apr_07_07-08-41.jpg

A pic update this evening.

I trimmed up the damaged foliage from the brief drought. I don't want any leaf matter to decay into the buds. We're nearing the end of the flower cycle. The plants are getting sticky and stinky. They are also beginning to put on a little weight.

I do hope they fatten up a bit more but we're not doing to bad with this basic T5 fixture.

Cheers!
/Obi

Update
Day: 121
Stage: Flower
Veg Days: 70 @ 18/6 6500K light
Transition Days: 10 @ 12/12 mixed light spectrum
Flower Days: 41
Light: 12/12 3000K 8 Bulb T5HO
Temps: 64F-79F / 18C-26C
RH: 41%-64%
Water: RO pH 5.6
Amount: 4Gal/15L divided between the 4 plants. Runoff from all.
Nutrients: 3ml CalMag, 4ml Micro, 0ml Grow, 8ml Bloom, 5ml Nectar SugarCane per Gal/3.75L
Nutrient Strength: @ 100%

Notes: I get the feeling this is an important week of flower development for this strain. I raised the light a couple inches to prevent roasting the flower tops.

I can see signs of flowers beginning to swell. There are little calyx knots plumping up and white pistils pushing out from inside the flowers. There is a combination of 25%/75% brown/white pistils. Trichomes are abundant though mostly clear yet.

I estimate 21 days to go until harvest. We could creep into May before these plants are ready. I'll scope the trichs again at the end of the week. Who knows, a lot could change by then.

/Obi

Update 04/15/2017
Day: 126
Veg Days: 70 @ 18/6 6500K light
Flower Days: 46
Temps: 64F-77F / 18C-25C
RH: 57%-75%
Water: RO pH 5.6
Amount: 3Gal/11L divided between the 4 plants. Runoff from two.
Nutrients: None
Nutrient Strength: N/A

Notes: We have heavy rain in the area affecting RH. The plants are drinking less. I'm going to begin the flush. Trichomes are 70% cloudy, 25% clear, and 5% amber.

The plants look nearly done on the outside. I want the trichs to mature a little more so I gave them a nice drink of plain RO and will check on them in a few days. I know what harvesting too early will do. I sampled a small popcorn bud and know she's not ready.

/Obi

The plants look nearly done on the outside. I want the trichs to mature a little more so I gave them a nice drink of plain RO and will check on them in a few days. I know what harvesting too early will do. I sampled a small popcorn bud and know she's not ready.

Looking really good Obi. Glad you have the foresight and patience to wait it out. Harvesting too early is one of the most common mistakes people make. Waiting that extra week (or even just a few days in some cases) can make the difference between one-dimensional, so-so produce and truly fantastic produce.

Obi - Question.

I notice many folks remove the sun leaves. As a general rule, I don't. I leave them till they are pretty much ready to drop off.

My way of thinking is these large sun leaves are large solar panels for the plant helping to create more nutrient and energy for the plant. They also pick up areas of missed light that escapes through the main growth.

Whats your take on this??

Cheers!

I agree, Sneaky Snid.

I typically leave the upper 75% of the plant alone only removing foliage that easily falls off with a gentle tug as needed.

I trimmed about 8 smaller leaves from the cannopy that had damage and were at risk of drying up and receding into the flowers, potentially causing rot or other issues.

I've found that by about half way into flower the plants start to drop leaves on their own. They defoiliate themselves. I don't see a need to force it to happen earlier. Heck, the fans are my first source of health information. Without them accidental damage might hit the valuable sugar leaves first.

If I were on grow 5 or 6 of a single strain I might start to try some things to play with quality or yield but I'm still strain hunting for myself :)

/Obi

I took a little nug to set aside and let dry for a day or so.

I'm beginning to think the addition of the GH Nectar SugarCane is a total waste in my hydro setup. It may be beneficial as a food source for micro organisms at the roots in a more organic system but I don't think it is taken up directly by the plant in hydro.

Hmm. Must research more.
/Obi

I think you are 1 week away still. If it looks like they are bursting, that is my cue as I experienced back then during my first grow. My AK48 back then I harvested at 8.5-9 weeks from flip. You are at 57 days now right? If you feel like they seem bursting and not as green as they were at week 5 for example, thats the clue. After this grow I believe you would understand what I am talking about. It is really hard to put it into words. You just have to experience it. I feel confident by now that I dont need to check for trichomes anymore haha.

Obi

What are you looking for in a strain?

I'm kinda in the same boat of searching.

For me, I think i'm gonna try Barneys Farm Liberty Haze. Its 60% sativa so I'm hoping its more uplifting rather than an elephant tranquilizer :)

Some of these indica's are so strong it feels like a giant marijuana plant came over and beat the snot out of you. :)

Nice for late in the evening, so an afternoon rush plant would be nice to add to the menu.

Cheers

Obi

What are you looking for in a strain?

I'm kinda in the same boat of searching.

For me, I think i'm gonna try Barneys Farm Liberty Haze. Its 60% sativa so I'm hoping its more uplifting rather than an elephant tranquilizer :)

Some of these indica's are so strong it feels like a giant marijuana plant came over and beat the snot out of you. :)

Nice for late in the evening, so an afternoon rush plant would be nice to add to the menu.

Cheers

I'm looking for a variety of 3 or 4 strains to put into rotation for myself which include
a. a couple of all day strains for mood stabilization
b. an evening strain for relaxation and pain
c. perhaps a high CBD strain for nerve and joint pain

So far I've tried
Northern Light Auto - weak. first grow but still weak.
Aurora Indica - very strong. evening only.
Jock Horror - medium to strong, nice all day med with a sweeter flavor.
Pure Power Plant - very strong, daytime med, heavy evening use will sit you down. Bland flavor.

I burned up a BF Liberty haze with some Miracle Gro perlite. I really want to try that again sometime sans Miracle Gro.

Next up is Papaya & Supreme CBD Durban followed by Master Kush. Hopefully I can find some more keepers in there. I will be growing JH and PPP again. Maybe AI or Pap for an Indica.

Cheers!
/Obi

Update
Day: 133
Veg Days: 70 @ 18/6 6500K 8 Bulb T5HO
Flower Days: 53
Temps: 65F-74F / 18C-23C
RH: 47%-64%
Water: RO pH 5.7
Amount: 4Gal/15L divided between the 4 plants. Runoff from all.
Nutrients: None
Nutrient Strength: N/A

Notes: Side branches are becoming burdened with the weight of the flowers. The branches plentiful but thin.

Visual changes are slowing. Yellowing has even slowed a bit. The plants appear to be hanging out maturing. I'm excited to scope the trichomes at the end of the month.

Cheers,
/Obi

Back
Top Bottom