Temp of Room/cab? 80F
RH of Room/cab? @ 40%
PH of media or res? 5.6-5.9
Any Pests? No
How often are you watering? As needed
Type and strength of ferts used? General Hydroponics Flora Trio + CALiMAGic

Alrighty, friends.

Here I grow again on my own.
Growin' down the only road I've ever known.
Unlike a drifter I was born to grow at home.
An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time.
Here I grow again.

I should have all my rookie mistakes behind me by now /eyeroll. I want this grow to be a success so I'm going to journal it. You all help keep me focused.

Thank you for that.

/Obi

Back to my roots. I've strayed from my typical breeder (Nirvana) and tried a few others for fun. Now I'm back and hopefully returning to some familiar genetics. I first broke ground with their seeds so they have a special space in my heart, not to mention I've always had good success with germination, plant vigor and potency.

I'm still searching for a nicely balanced hybrid for myself. The Jock Horror is as close as I've come. I found myself reaching for the JHo more frequently than others even though it was not grown very well. I would like a 2nd try with that one.

I'm still using the ol' 3ftx5ft cabinet with the 2ftx4ft T5 light. I have a maximum plant height restriction of 3.5ft. That's the top of the bucket to the bottom of the lamp.

New this time is the Perlite brand. I was able to source some nutrient free Perlite from a newly found local hydro store. Woot! I feel back in control of my grow. I also purchased a replacement pH pen. My previous one was no longer able to calibrate. Additionally, I started in rockwool rather than Jiffy starter pucks and they are in solo cups filled with Perlite for now.

I grew impatient waiting for the current grow to finish so I built a little light box that can hold up to 12 seedlings for perhaps 2-3 weeks. The main cabinet is currently in a 24hr dark period and then will be the drying cab for a bit. I didn't want to wait for all that to simply get a little start with the PPP... :)

/Obi

The top of the light box slides up and off of the corner posts. I have different lengths of posts. Currently the top is positioned about two inches above the bottom. This seems to keep a nice steady temp in the box. Perfect for seedlings. They are under a 24/0 light schedule.

/Obi

I'm starting to see the second set of leaves protruding. I'm anxious to start feeding but they look fine for now.

But then again, I'm over cautious and tend to under feed in the beginning. Ugh.

I need to get a fan on them ASAP as well. I just realized I have one fan shut down in the main cabinet while the plants begin their drying. I'll pull that one out and train it on the little light box.

I run a 6 inch 450cfm fan as my main ventilation. Recently I had to change out the attached carbon filter. I had an 8 inch filter attached previously but wanted to save a couple bucks so I purchased a 6 inch.

My average cabinet temperature has risen nearly 5 degrees F. That could be due to ambient temps or restricted flow through the 6 inch filter or both. I think I will stick with the 8 inch filters going forward.

/Obi

Well, I fed the girls last night. They told me they were ready but only for 1/8 strength of the GH trio. Here is a pic from this evening:

/Obi

It's good to see you, Tead.

It looks like the little gals took to the lite nutes just fine. I'll be transplanting sometime this weekend.

Here is a pic from this afternoon:

/Obi

A quick picture update. We've made the transplant. It was a little rough. I could have used more root
structure to hold the Perlite together when removing the seedlings from their solo cup.

First, a couple pics of the final buckets on transplant day. 09/25/2016

Here are a few of the cab on 09/27/2016

I only have room for six plants. Currently there are nine plants stuffed in there. I was planning on more death and destruction happening before we got to this point. For the time being, the solo cup is my control plant. I'm watching for sings of stunted growth or stress in the transplants versus the control.

Cheers.

/Obi

A quick update: I lowered the T5 to about two feet above the canopy. I will continue to lower the light as the plants mature and can handle more heat.

It's hard not to check on them every few hours. I can't wait until they hit the split and we can ramp everything up to maximum levels.

Cabinet temps a still are little on the warm side for my liking. I will be switching the lighting schedule from 24/0 to 18/6 soon. Additionally, I'm running six 6500k and two 3000k bulbs during veg this time. Im trying a little mixed spectrum to see how I like it. It seems like many of the LED options out there are mixed spectrum panels...

/Obi

Wow very neat and tidy looking photos mate :)
Looking forward to following and learning more from you. Especially seeing a Hydro set up. I love the idea of a seed cabinet. Don't hesitate to add photos of it.

Thank you for finding me :)

Take Care .️

A quick update: I lowered the T5 to about two feet above the canopy. I will continue to lower the light as the plants mature and can handle more heat.

It's hard not to check on them every few hours. I can't wait until they hit the split and we can ramp everything up to maximum levels.

Cabinet temps a still are little on the warm side for my liking. I will be switching the lighting schedule from 24/0 to 18/6 soon. Additionally, I'm running six 6500k and two 3000k bulbs during veg this time. Im trying a little mixed spectrum to see how I like it. It seems like many of the LED options out there are mixed spectrum panels...

/Obi

Awesome timing... I haven't partaken for a week and I just burned a bowl.

I feel your pain brother.
It's a fine, fine balancing act that really just sux.
You wanna drive lighting up because every lumen matters. But drifting on the edge of the heat wave is so hard to do. Just a tiny bit off and it all becomes more of a negative than a positive. Hell... even in hempies it's gonna be a while before some of the longer term issues show.
Yup. Sux.

I do like your heat reduction ideas. I do many of the same of course.
To be honest, when I look at the power I consume and the low output I experience, I'm not seeing a reason to do the dance next summer.

Ahhhh..... I feel much better now.... thanks.

Quick pic update.

I let the plants dry out a little too much. They looked very droopy yeaterday and I think their growth is a little slowed. I fed them deep with roughly 50% strength nutes at 5.7pH. They look much happier today except for the nute splash on several leaves.

Splash combined with the low water intake and dry leaves have burned several starter leaves. I'm pretty hard on those lower leaf sets. I watch the new growth for issues.

Random pics from today:

One last note: I noticed the low night temp now that we have switched from 24/0 to 18/6. I had one fan not on the timer and I think it cooled the cabinet down too quickly. I've moved all fans and the light to the timer.

/Obi

Fed today. 75% strength. Plants are starting to recover from the drought..

/Obi

I will take some pics soon. The bucket plants have clearly been stunted. They are recovering slowly. The solo cup plant is easily 2X-3X larger due to no transplant and better water retention.

I'm now watering or feeding the plants every other day until they hit their reservoirs. I don't think I can over water at that rate. The cabinet is still fairly warm at 82F.

My watering schedule will be: feed, feed, water.

The plants have done fine with the 75% nutrient level. I'm going to try 100% at next feeding.

Since my last post I've fed once at 100% strength and watered once(last night).

Last night's watering was a drench of the buckets. I had been watering mostly at the drip line. Next feed should produce some runoff.

I lost about 10 days of growth from the transplant and short drought. The plants appear to have recovered now. They look better and seem to be growing again.

Its time to shift this grow into high gear.

Back
Top Bottom