Off-Grid Spring-Fed Hillbilly CBD Greenhouse

Something about that oil, my wife can not get it on her back so she only gets it morning and evevings, 30 mins after in the evening she is sawing logs. I cannot believe how it takes her pain away like that. really soon I will have some 12-15% cbd and very little thc buds here shortly. Thats how I found your journal, just trying to soak up knowledge.

4 oz's :thedoubletake: :rofl: omgosh wife and I smoke to much.

Something about that oil, my wife can not get it on her back so she only gets it morning and evevings, 30 mins after in the evening she is sawing logs. I cannot believe how it takes her pain away like that. really soon I will have some 12-15% cbd and very little thc buds here shortly. Thats how I found your journal, just trying to soak up knowledge.

4 oz's :thedoubletake: :rofl: omgosh wife and I smoke to much.

My wife bought a "lotion applicator" to oil her own back but found it to be clumsy and difficult to determine if she'd got the oil well applied. Can't beat husband hands for chores like this. :)

I make CBD oil in an InstaPot, in batches of 20 grams of dry bud with a cup of oil. .5ml of this oil turns me into Mr. Magoo so I typically take doses of about 5 drops, often twice in the evening. My wife uses the oil topically and much more liberally, for aches and pain. I can't tell for sure if she is getting high from this because she is normally quite talkative and zips from one topic and thought to another.

I'm calculating our needs at 20 grams every 2 months but that is just for the oil. The sludge that is left over turns out to really kick my butt. As I wrote in another thread, something like 1/4 tsp fried with butter and an egg had me couch locked for 4 hours.

It is kinda frustrating to know that I can grow vastly more than we need but I can't legally share it with others.
I might have to start making me some oil again, I used to make the hash oil, would be less hassle I think to just infuse some olive oil so that I can get fairly standardized doses.

Lately I've just been taking the sugar leaf and decarboxylate it and make tea with it mixed with peppermint leaves.
Works great, taste good, but problem is its impossible to measure a dose.
2 to 3 days and it's perfect then next cup and I am on a magic carpet ride totally rooted to the bed for hours.

I think my wife and I combined go through about 1 1/2 oz a month, at least 50+% of that is high CBD flower.

It is kinda frustrating to know that I can grow vastly more than we need but I can't legally share it with others.
That's one of the two ways that OR's legal weed law is vastly better than WA's: here we can legally give away as much as the legal possession limits (8oz for rec., I think) as long as it's not for any kind of remuneration--technically, even barter is verboten.

(The second, even more important way is that anyone is allowed to grow 4 plants on their land without a permit, while WA does not allow unpermitted rec grows.)

Of course, the chances of getting snagged for gifting weed in WA are negligible. Though, I'm not suggesting doing anything that's harmless & technically illegal, even though I guerilla grew for decades in 4 dif. western states from the '70s until recently. ;):cool::lot-o-toke:

Cool and damp this morning so I had to build a fire in the kitchen stove to take the chill off. We feel a definite switch from summer to fall so I presume this might accelerate flowering.

I measured the span of foliage of one of the inside Critical Mass girls -- easily 5 feet. If I hadn't given away several plants a couple of months ago I'd need a machete to get into the greenhouse.

An "insider" CM reached 3' height today and the lone Dutch Hawaiian in the greenhouse is even taller. Outside the plants are just under 6' and spreading wide. I'm mulling over ideas on how to protect them from the rain and dampness we normally get toward the end of September:

outsiders 23aug19 .JPG

The only pest or health problem so far was a brief period of spider mites when the plants were still quite young. Now, however, I'm seeing something that concerns me a bit: tiny spots on the underside of many leaves. I've examined many leaves with a 30x loupe but can't find any insect that might be the culprit so I'm wondering if this is a disease? It appears to be spreading slowly but doesn't visibly affect the plant's health. More like zits than anything else.

Here's the top of a few leaves -- the pale spots are caused by whatever bit or infected the underside of the leaf. This example is on a Critical Mass, outside in soil, the worst outbreak I've found so far.

CM outside spots.JPG

Inside the greenhouse:

spots insider.JPG

The underside view of the spots:

spots underside.JPG

I've applied Azamat, the foliar spray I used earlier for spider mites. I'm not really sure if it has been effective, especially as the foliage is so thick inside the greenhouse, a real "sea of green".

Cool and damp this morning so I had to build a fire in the kitchen stove to take the chill off. We feel a definite switch from summer to fall so I presume this might accelerate flowering.

I measured the span of foliage of one of the inside Critical Mass girls -- easily 5 feet. If I hadn't given away several plants a couple of months ago I'd need a machete to get into the greenhouse.

An "insider" CM reached 3' height today and the lone Dutch Hawaiian in the greenhouse is even taller. Outside the plants are just under 6' and spreading wide. I'm mulling over ideas on how to protect them from the rain and dampness we normally get toward the end of September:

outsiders 23aug19 .JPG

The only pest or health problem so far was a brief period of spider mites when the plants were still quite young. Now, however, I'm seeing something that concerns me a bit: tiny spots on the underside of many leaves. I've examined many leaves with a 30x loupe but can't find any insect that might be the culprit so I'm wondering if this is a disease? It appears to be spreading slowly but doesn't visibly affect the plant's health. More like zits than anything else.

Here's the top of a few leaves -- the pale spots are caused by whatever bit or infected the underside of the leaf. This example is on a Critical Mass, outside in soil, the worst outbreak I've found so far.

CM outside spots.JPG

Inside the greenhouse:

spots insider.JPG

The underside view of the spots:

spots underside.JPG

I've applied Azamat, the foliar spray I used earlier for spider mites. I'm not really sure if it has been effective, especially as the foliage is so thick inside the greenhouse, a real "sea of green".
looks like burn spots from water droplets , the sun turns them into magnifying glass

:passitleft:
Fingers crossed
I was gona say water burn spots too, but would the ones inside the green house get that magnify burn from the sun?

The morning dew is typically quite heavy here but I notice that it gathers more on the very edges of the leaves. I think if these were sunburn spots they would appear more uniformly on all of the plants rather than just here and there on some leaves.

I hope this remains a mystery rather than turning into a serious issue. There are a variety of insects roaming the clones but no indication that they are getting out of hand. I'm sure that some of them are actually beneficial so I won't spray again unless I really have to.

We're coming back to warm weather after a few days of cool light rain. One of the inside Critical Mass girls has stretched to about 38 inches and all six have extended well beyond their grow bags.

Looking closer at the two outside plants I can see that I'll have a serious challenge when it comes time to erect some kind of rain shelter over them as buds form. To enclose them now would take a roof of at least 6 x 10 feet in area -- and unless they slow down it is anyone's guess how tall they'll be (now 6').

Hey Simon! Your plants are getting nice and big and looking healthy overall!
Regarding the spots - it's definitely not burns from droplets as they are too small and close to eachother. Have the spots got larger or are the small spots developing on new leaves?

Hey Simon! Your plants are getting nice and big and looking healthy overall!
Regarding the spots - it's definitely not burns from droplets as they are too small and close to eachother. Have the spots got larger or are the small spots developing on new leaves?

As you suggest I'm now certain that the spots are not related to water droplets, though it does appear to occur more on leaves that get full exposure to the sun. Once the spot develops it does not expand or change -- a very small "zit" on the underside of the leaf that looks slightly translucent when viewed from the top of the leaf.

I've examined a lot of affected leaves with a loupe and have yet to find any insect boring into the leaf. At this point I'm just watching and waiting to see if it increases or visibly affects anything.

We're having a final hot spell and the plants are stretching fast. I'm keeping the greenhouse partially closed to maintain a daytime temperature in the 90's, closing it up at night.

I find that my forest dwellers have been munched on by any number of predators - they have been left to fend for themselves as the mosquitoes love to munch on me !!! They seem to be doing OK - the leaves all look pretty beat up but they seem to be flowering nicely. The pampering is saved for Angie, Beulah, Caryl and DeeDee. Mutt and Jeff get some care but even then it seems to be an after thought, somehow. Oh well, I do what I can....

Spots may be burn from when you sprayed for mites. What time of day did you spray?

I actually sprayed because of the spots, in case they were caused by mites. I sprayed the underside of the leaves throughout the entire plant but the spots don't appear on many inner leaves.

If there were active mites wouldn't I see them? Do they create webs?

If there were active mites wouldn't I see them? Do they create webs?
Mites do creat webs. They are hard to see, but with a jeweler's loupe you should be able to see them and their black specs of crap. When you use the loupe, it goes against your eye, and you focus by moving your head.

I've decided that the spots on the leaves are not a problem worth losing sleep over. If they are spreading it is very slowly and there is no indication that the clones are being harmed.

What interests me more right now is the stretch -- how long does this phase go on? I see some early formation of colas but nothing dramatic. Here's an example (CBD Critical Mass):

CM cola 31aug19.JPG

What is most dramatic is the sheer mass of foliage in the greenhouse. This is the BEFORE:

clone house early.JPG

And this is the AFTER (today):

clone house 31aug19.JPG

I've been pruning lightly at the center of the plants to remove weak stems and improve air circulation. We live on the edge of a large wetland and swampy forest so dampness is a big issue. If push comes to shove I may have to run a very long extension cord down to the clone house in order to run a fan. I'm very reluctant to do brutal pruning such as lollipopping but if mold appears I'll reach for the snippers.

The outside girls are doing fine but don't show quite as much pistil development as the insiders.

outsiders 31aug19.JPG

We're having very fine weather here, 40's at night and low 80's, with the greenhouse between 85 and 100ºF in daytime. The outside plants may have slowed their stretch, though they do seem to get a bit wider every day.

Inside the greenhouse there are definite signs of buds and colas forming on the CBD Critical Mass girls. The lone Dutch Hawaiian is spreading and climbing but there's not as much indication of flowering.

I have a feeling that the stretch has slowed down but to confirm this I've rigged a weighted string over one of the CM stalks, to see how much she climbs in 24 hours.

CM pistils 2sept19.JPG

CM early cola 2sept19.JPG

We're having very fine weather here, 40's at night and low 80's, with the greenhouse between 85 and 100ºF in daytime. The outside plants may have slowed their stretch, though they do seem to get a bit wider every day.

Inside the greenhouse there are definite signs of buds and colas forming on the CBD Critical Mass girls. The lone Dutch Hawaiian is spreading and climbing but there's not as much indication of flowering.

I have a feeling that the stretch has slowed down but to confirm this I've rigged a weighted string over one of the CM stalks, to see how much she climbs in 24 hours.

CM pistils 2sept19.JPG

CM early cola 2sept19.JPG
They look great, SL. Kudos.

I'd guess that the CMass, being an indica dom. is about done w/ the stretch. The Dutch Hawaiian has got a decent amount of sativa lineage IIRC, so it might continue to head skyward.

You can always supercrop to reign in height. I'm doing that almost daily with my Lemon Diesel. It'd be 6'+ if I didn't & it's continuing to go upward.

Since you're outside you shouldn't have much problem with pests, provided you don't treat the plants with stuff that'll kill pest predators -- spiders, wasps, ladybugs are a grower's pal. See Why I never spray for pests

Not a big deal if you lose a bit of your final product to pests, anyway. You're going to have more than enough.

But rot once the rains come is another thing. So be vigilant & take precautions, esp. with the outdoor plants. It's a very real risk for outdoor grows in the PNW. But one that can be managed.

Grow on, compadre!

They look great, SL. Kudos.

I'd guess that the CMass, being an indica dom. is about done w/ the stretch. The Dutch Hawaiian has got a decent amount of sativa lineage IIRC, so it might continue to head skyward.

You can always supercrop to reign in height. I'm doing that almost daily with my Lemon Diesel. It'd be 6'+ if I didn't & it's continuing to go upward.

Since your outside you shouldn't have much problem with pests, provided you don't treat the plants with stuff that'll kill pest predators -- spiders, wasps, ladybugs are a grower's pal. See Why I never spray for pests

Not a big deal if you lose a bit of your final product to pests, anyway. You're going to have more than enough.

But rot once the rains come is another thing. So be vigilant & take precautions, esp. with the outdoor plants. It's a very real risk for outdoor grows in the PNW. But one that can be managed.

Grow on, compadre!

I've enjoyed sticking my head into the middle of these bushes to see what else is living in there. Yesterday I found a grasshopper, which aren't common here, and the usual broad assortment of little flies, gnats, and other tiny crawlies. I also find an assortment of dead insects, including the occasional honey bee. There are dragonflies in the greenhouse and fresh bird droppings almost every day on the clones. Quite the menagerie!

I am definitely not in the "kill it if it moves" camp. As you suggest, at least some of these visitors are also predators so I depend on them to maintain law & order. I'm actually quite surprised at how few signs there are of unauthorized chewing and boring.

By "super cropping" do you mean squeezing and slightly crushing, and then bending the tallest stems? All but a few of the girls are now at my eye level or higher. Oddly, two of the CMs are shorter than the others and show the most bud development. I wish I'd kept more detailed notes on individual plants because I did vary my LSTraining quite a bit, though everything else, water, nutes, etc. is identical for all 8 plants.

Dragon flies are super effective pest predators.

Check this out, from one of the premiere growers on 420, @Van Stank: Temple Of Bloom
(scroll up just a tad from where they link takes ya)

Back
Top Bottom