Officials To Meet With Bridgeville Residents About Pot Grow Concerns

Katelyn Baker

Bridgeville residents, citing a sharp increase in the number of marijuana grows in their community among other issues, are scheduled to meet with 2nd District Supervisor Estelle Fennell and other local officials on Thursday.

Fennell will be joined by representatives from the North Coast Regional Water Control Board, the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office, the state Department of Fish and Wildlife, and the county Planning Department at the 1 p.m. meeting taking place at the Bridgeville Community Center.

"I really welcome the opportunity to meet with the neighbors. It's all about communication and I appreciate all the other agencies stepping up to help address their concerns," Fennell said.

A group of Bridgeville residents contacted Fennell last month with a list of concerns, all of them related to increased land use for marijuana cultivation, long-time resident Brooke Entsminger said.

"I don't have a problem with people being marijuana farmers, but I, and the rest of the community, want them to do it responsibly," Entsminger said.

Specifically, Entsminger said the community wants to address with county officials a list of seemingly unregulated environmental and public safety issues.

"Residents' creeks are running dry because they're being drawn on from above. Our streams and rivers are running lower," Entsminger said.

Entsminger added that residents have grown concerned about the frequency of late night gun fire.

"I live in the Larabee Valley and I often can hear it echoing down the valley late at night," Entsminger said. "We kind of feel like there's no one to protect us out here. If we call law enforcement, we have to wait an hour and a half."

Entsminger said the community is looking forward to discussing with Fennell the county's unfolding medical marijuana regulations and their enforcement. Fennell said she is happy to discuss the recent framework put in place with her constituents who it closely affects.

"The medical marijuana ordinance passed earlier this year is geared toward facilitating proper land use and protection of the environment," Fennell said. "That's going to be part of the conversation with the community members."

credNathanielMinor.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Officials To Meet With Bridgeville Residents About Pot Grow Concerns
Author: Marc Vartabedian
Photo Credit: Nathaniel Minor

Back
Top Bottom