OG Kush Round 2- In Soil - 1000Watt HPS - GH utes - CO2- Flipped Now- Going For 1LB!?

Hello and welcome to my second journal here at 420.
My first was with 5 OG kush clones that yielded 259 grams of the most potent OG kush I have ever smoked. Some of you may remember. I started out as a total indoor newbie, did a lot of DIY'ing and a hell of a lot of reading.. Started with CFL's even though I had access to HID's. Well let's just say that I have awoke, and I have seen the light my brothers and sisters, and it's called HPS! Not like I need to preech to you guys how rad these lights are, you already know that right? Well hopefully by the end of this journal if you were on the fence about jumping in with HID lighting, you'll understand why everyone's always going off about them. it is the commercial standard and highest yielding lighting for a reason. They produce!! I switched from CFL's at the end of my Veg and busted into a single, vertical mounted, 1000 watt dimable HPS light. when I flipped the lights to 12/12. Don't ask me why I decided to this. I guess I really wanted to try something different right off the start. I don't regret mounting it like I did, and I ended up getting really good harvest running that setup. But I've grown to learn a lot about dispersal rates. And have discovered, I can do better..

Enough about the last grow, let's get into the new one!
This is going to be 10 OG kush clones that I took from the previous batch. All were vegged under a SunBlaze 4 foot 4 light HO floro light bank, and my good old 10 light CFL bank that I made for my first grow. The babies went into a new Jardin 5x5x6 tent to veg for a few weeks and then in went the HPS mounted horizontally (this time.) in a 6" cooltube reflector. The ladies given a good flush to get rid of left over veg nutes, and were put to sleep for 24 hours before the flip to kickstart flowering. And wow did it ever work. I saw white hairs 4 days after flipping. This is how I have my tent set up. 290 CFM elicent exhaust fan with speed controller scrubbing through a Carbon filter through the cooltube, and outside.. Since I had such a hard time with Powdery Mildew on the last one. I decided to make sure I had plenty of exhaust power so I don't have to run a fresh air intake. There is a huge Maple tree in our back yard that is completely infected with PM. (took me 2 sprayings to figure out I was sucking that shit straight into my room.) As soon as I noticed it last time I plugged everything up and started running a passive intake using the house as an intake filter, without any more PM problems at all. So that's kinda how it's going down in this tent too. Although the grow has moved to another part of the house, I have set up a veg room in a close by closet that will also triple as a clone room/labratory. I light sealed up the window in the closet and put a 6" hose off it to "slowly' draw clean air in. I think I'm going to try and DIY some sort of Heppa filter to connect to that passive intake so I can filter out that PM that's lurking around the house. Then another exhaust fan with speed controller sucking out air from Veg tent into the flowering tent. Seems to be working pretty good, cuz that Sunblaze doesn't produce much heat. But might have to change things as it gets colder outside. The flowering ladies are on a nocturnal schedule right now so lights on can be at night when it's coldest out. Since I blocked up all heating vents to the room, it got cold in there in mornings and through day whilst they slept. (67F) So I put a Cruise temp controller into the tent running an oil heater outside the tent in the room. This keeps everyone nice and toasty for their tuck in and sleepytime. (now 70-80F)
I guess that's pretty much it for now. I know I'm a little behind in this journal starting it a week and a half into flowering, but I will catch you all up. Plus flowering is the most exciting time! so think of it as I spared you the boring parts.
So here's the deets, and some photos. oldest to newest. Enjoy, I know I will!!

What strain is it? OG Kush clones
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?Indica Hybrid
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Flower
If in Veg... For how long? NA
If in Flower stage... For how long? 12 days
Indoor or outdoor? indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Sunshine mix
If soil... What size pot? 3 gallon
Size of light? 1- 1000 watt HPS Quantum digital dimable ballast.
Is it aircooled? cooltube
Temp of Room/cab? 75-85 F
RH of Room/cab? 30-45%
PH of media or res? 6.2
Any Pests ? not yet
How often are you watering? Once every 3 days. On feed, feed, water schedule
Type and strength of ferts used? All General Hydroponics, Flora series- Gro-Micro-Bloom. Floralicious plus, Liquid Koolbloom, Bio Root, Blackstrap Molasses on water days, music..

next_generation_web.jpg
tent_1web.jpg
about a week before flip:
tent_2web.jpg
day 4 of flowering, already showing Thrichs!
12_3web.jpg
OG_2_dy4_2.jpg
OG_2_dy4_1.jpg
OG_2_dy6_2_1.jpg
day 5 of flower
OG_2_dy5_3.jpg
day 6 of flower
OG_2_dy6_1.jpg
OG_2_dy6_3_1.jpg
day 7 flower
OG_2_dy12_2.jpg
OG_2_dy12_1.jpg
day 11 of flower
OG_2_dy12_3.jpg

Re: OG Kush Round 2- In Soil - 1000Watt HPS - GH utes - CO2- Flipped Now- Going For 1

day 14 of flower at lights on!
OG_2_dy14_1.jpg
OG_2_dy14_3.jpg
OG_2_dy14_2.jpg

Re: OG Kush Round 2- In Soil - 1000Watt HPS - GH utes - CO2- Flipped Now- Going For 1

And FYI, optimal temp for the plants during lights on is 75 degrees, the temp can drop as much as 15 degrees without ill effects during lights out. granted, outdoor plants fare better with the temp swings

Ok thanks for the info Alaskan. I was taught that 80 degrees was optimal for plants during lights on. Also heard that when enriching room with CO2 they tend to like it when the room is warmer between 80 and 85. Am I right there? Yeah I've always noticed my outdoor plants able to stand up to almost any temperature.

75-80f is all good with decent air movement. Just think of it like this: if the temps and RH are comfy for you, they will be for your plants too. Yes, with co2 enrichment you can up the temps 5-10 degrees vs non co2 enriched... Which is fortunate because you need to be able to stop your ventilation periodically to allow co2 buildup if you go that route.

Oh, and your plants look gorgeous!! Great growing. :thumb:

I love OG Kush, and those are some beauts.

If you like those nutes, I have a tip that'll save you some money down the road. One of the sponsors here, Blue Planet Nutrients, has a 3 part line with a similar makeup - but I think slightly better. He offers great support right here in the forums and can help troubleshoot deficiencies etc -- you just can't beat that service! Best part? They're about half the price of the GH nutes. Better quality, better service, better price. Something to consider for future reference...

Looking good :thumb:
Those leaves are looking very Sativa :)

Thanks Msgreen!

75-80f is all good with decent air movement. Just think of it like this: if the temps and RH are comfy for you, they will be for your plants too. Yes, with co2 enrichment you can up the temps 5-10 degrees vs non co2 enriched... Which is fortunate because you need to be able to stop your ventilation periodically to allow co2 buildup if you go that route.

Right on, then I think I'm all good for temps, plus the weather is only going to get colder where I am. So I should be right at 75-80 right when bloom is going full bore. RH is all good, and I also have my exhaust and CO2 dialed in pretty good I think (finally). CO2 on every hour for 4 mins at lowest regulator setting. Exhaust timed to go off when gassing, then comes back on 4 minutes after CO2 stops. This gives me between 1600 to 1800 ppm's of CO2 in the room. Lots of screwing around with timers and checking the meter to find the comfy zone. I ordered a digital CO2 meter that's helped me to come up with those times. They might not work for everyone, this is just what works for me. Before I had a meter I really didn't know how much I was giving, and I think I was giving way too much because it stunted growth for about a week in flowering. The meter is actually pretty rad, works as a CO2 meter, RH meter, Temp meter, min/max memory, and clock/alarm. Its just annoying when the alarm goes off every time it reaches 1000 ppm. I'll take a picture of it later. Its a nice and cheap alternative to buying a CO2 controller, or computer that can run up around 700.00.

Oh, and your plants look gorgeous!! Great growing. :thumb:

I love OG Kush, and those are some beauts.

If you like those nutes, I have a tip that'll save you some money down the road. One of the sponsors here, Blue Planet Nutrients, has a 3 part line with a similar makeup - but I think slightly better. He offers great support right here in the forums and can help troubleshoot deficiencies etc -- you just can't beat that service! Best part? They're about half the price of the GH nutes. Better quality, better service, better price. Something to consider for future reference...

Thanks for the nute advice. I've actually been hearing a lot of good things about Blue Planet. I was going to try Advanced next but we'll see. I'm pretty comfortable with GH at the moment. Plus I gotta use up what I have left before switching.

Thanks for the nute advice. I've actually been hearing a lot of good things about Blue Planet. I was going to try Advanced next but we'll see. I'm pretty comfortable with GH at the moment. Plus I gotta use up what I have left before switching.

Thats really why I brought it up - they're so similar, that you'll be comfy immediately with the BPN 3-part if you're comfy with the gh 3-part. They contain almost 100% identical ratios of mineral salts. Ironically, Advanced has a nearly 100% identical product as well: Jungle Juice. They actually have advertisements that promote it as the same product as the GH 3 part, at less $$$ (then they try to up sell you to their high end line instead!). But, the BPN is cheaper yet, and uses slightly higher grade mineral salts in some cases. By all means I'd use up what you've got first. Just for future reference... :)

Curiousity is killing me - what's with the light fixture on your tent in the pic up above?! I can't figure it out!

Ha, see you got your signature figured out

Thanks Alaskan for helping me with my multiple issues figuring the signature thing.
And Xlr8 BIG shout out for your help too!

Here's a photo of the Co2 meter..
CO2_meter_1.jpg

Curiousity is killing me - what's with the light fixture on your tent in the pic up above?! I can't figure it out!

Hahahaha!!! That was the old ceiling light that was above the tent before. I had to put the tent in a certain place, so the light had to go. I think that photo was taken right after tent went up, and it was just hanging there.

I have the same co2meter....great lookin plants, I dig....happy grow

Back
Top Bottom