You are killing it my friend , everything is on point and in cruise control , not too many living soil growers in here., it is incredible how much of a difference a bigger pot can do ; the smaller pot we have to work harder to manage the microbial life and the overall smaller size may just be a result in the microbial life dropping off faster then the ones in the big pots, it’s always nicer to grow in a bitter pot when growing in a living soil , but you’ve done a really nice job here.

You are killing it my friend , everything is on point and in cruise control , not too many living soil growers in here., it is incredible how much of a difference a bigger pot can do ; the smaller pot we have to work harder to manage the microbial life and the overall smaller size may just be a result in the microbial life dropping off faster then the ones in the big pots, it’s always nicer to grow in a bitter pot when growing in a living soil , but you’ve done a really nice job here.
Thanks Dean.

Yeah bigger pots is just keep it moist and watch it grow.
I am just a bystander

Still cruising right along, growing about 2" a day and not a single leaf has a blemish or even a tiny burnt tip.
Plants look perfect and already starting to smell nice.
Stacking pretty decent.

On reflection I am not sure that I could have squeezed more than maybe 5 more colas in the 2x5 space so ended up not as bad as originally thought.
Would have been a total blivot if I tried to get 75 colas in there.

Watering 6 days a week on 20 gallon and 7 days a week on 7 gallon.
Adding bit more Buildabloom and more top dress on the 7 gallon to make sure it doesn't run out of nutrients.
So far looks just as healthy as the other two but just half the size.

Just a little coconut water and Yucca extract for 20 gallon pots.

Snipping a few leaves here and there and cutting up and shoving under mulch for the worms.
I think I may try a backbuilding technique on one bud just to check it out.
Will just snip off the tippy top about 1/4" of the bud every 2 weeks.
Supposed to help fatten the bud.
Will do that probably next Friday.

Temp still 77-80 and humidity between 60 to 70%.
Will start turning on dehumidifier within a couple days and bringing humidity down 5% per week.
Will also lower temp to between 71 to 76

20210326_090705.jpg
20210326_090446.jpg

Normal is nice! Happy Saturday! We'll have made it to being fully vacced coming Tuesday here! I'm really ready to get back to virtual shopping in stores again! Whew! How's your access? Already got it I hope?
Nope not yet, probably get it by the end of April.
Won't really change that much for us, still need to wear mask and do all the same things we've been doing for over a year, would just be slightly less stressed is all.
This shit isn't going to end anytime soon, probably be 2022 before things back to near normal.

Nope not yet, probably get it by the end of April.
Won't really change that much for us, still need to wear mask and do all the same things we've been doing for over a year, would just be slightly less stressed is all.
This shit isn't going to end anytime soon, probably be 2022 before things back to near normal.
We keep the mask, but the stress drop is there for sure! I'm not motivated to get on the stationary bike either so getting out is going to be good for some exercise too.

We keep the mask, but the stress drop is there for sure! I'm not motivated to get on the stationary bike either so getting out is going to be good for some exercise too.
Luckily we got a nice pretty secluded trail that starts right in our back yard.
So we walk down that trail everyday and rarely if ever see another person.

First pic is standing on our deck looking at the end of the trail head .
Trail starts right there and goes on for about 25 miles.
20150429_151949.jpg

This pic is about a mile or so down the trail.

20141122_132556.jpg

Daily bud pic.
Watered with Yucca water and a pinch of pure silica today.
Plants pretty much pray all day long, they might lower their leaves just a bit for an hour after watering but you can barely tell.
PPFD is about 1300 on the tallest bud in the center but most everything else is basking at about 900 PPFD.
Buds are just starting to develop a little sugar.

20210403_190410.jpg
20210403_190044.jpg
20210403_203706.jpg

Luckily we got a nice pretty secluded trail that starts right in our back yard.
So we walk down that trail everyday and rarely if ever see another person.

First pic is standing on our deck looking at the end of the trail head .
Trail starts right there and goes on for about 25 miles.
Lovely pics Nunya! What lovely soothing nature views, plus no shortage of leaf mold for the compost!

I just now after checking plants decided I am going to have to water this 7 gallon plant at least twice a day now, or i might just give it a cup or three everytime I check plants which is usually about 5x a day.

I watered this morning and just checked it and damn thing is dry already, its drinking like a drunken sailor, all of them are but the 7 gallon just doesn't have enough soil to last more than a few hours.
Temp at 77⁰ and humidity between 55-60% on a healthy plant and it transpires a lot of water In flower.
In fact that is one way I can tell when the plants are definitely dry is my humidity in the room goes down.
The plants stop transpiring humidity goes down, I water and humidity immediately goes up, the plants open up the stomata and release water vapor.

Ok, so going to talk about Dissolved Oxygen today as it seems as though only those that grow in Hydro even seem to know it exist.
When in fact its probably one of the most important elements in your grow.
First is you need proper soil with at least 30% aeration, worms also help tremendously as does the roots from cover crop.
Your soil tilth needs to be such that it is able to store and hold the DO so the roots can access it.

I use o2 emitters to super oxygenate my water, my goal is to get to over 12ppm DO.
My water is like a fine Guinness Stout beer when its ready to use, the water is milky top to bottom full of nano-bubbles with a head of creamy foam on top.
When I water I super charge my soil with DO, your roots need oxygen to do their thang.
The DO promotes rapid root growth especially when combined with Aloe Vera, also good to add a small pinch of bloom nutrients as a seedling because it boost root growth.
DO gives much higher density of root hairs which is responsible for water intake.
This is probably one reason why I am watering my plants every single day and most everyone else seems to be stuck at once or twice a week even in tiny little pots.
Although I think some of that is just people are too freaked out about watering and have been brow beaten to believe that dry soil is good because that's how roots get oxygen.

There can be some truth to that but only if your soil is shit and your plants aren't transpiring as well as they should.
Instead of trying to limp along forced to water just once a week because the soil can't hold oxygen thus the roots aren't strong and healthy so that they can produce copious amounts of root hairs and lots of healthy root tips which in turn supplies the plant with more nutrients.
I would much prefer to see everyone do just the opposite, I want to see you watering your flowering plants at least once a day MINIMUM.
That would mean several things and all of it good.
It would mean your soil tilth is correct and soil can hold DO.
Would mean your soil is never dry so those all important root hairs aren't being killed off in dry soil.
Would mean your roots are getting oxygen, are uptaking more nutrients, and overall plant health and vigor is good.

People need to view Dissolved Oxygen in water as a nutrient, the mother of all nutrients.
Instead it seems most view water as a necessary evil and actively try to get by with giving their plants as little as possible.
When in reality they should be striving to get that plant working like a fine tuned machine, get it to literally burn through water like a dog on prime rib.
And if not then figure out why and fix it.

I am currently watering the 20 gallon pots usually about 1-1.25 gallon a day and the 7 gallon about a 1/2 gal a day.
Thats about right for a good average should be 5 to 6% of soil volume.
I get some run off on the 7 gallon like a couple ounces but rarely a drop from the 20 gallon.

These pics I took about 30 minutes after watering, plants don't droop at all, at most they are just little bit less straight up.
Thats because they aren't starving for oxygen, if you water and your leaves flop down like you just dumped boiling water on it then something ain't right.

You also want to build up your mycorrhazae network, they largely attach themselves to the capillary roots aka root hairs, DO is key, the microbes need oxygen.
And once your roots are fully colonized your root system is now more than double even triple in size and efficiency because the plants roots are now using the tiny spider web roots of the mycorrhazae as part of its own system.
This is why it is preferable to get the plant into final pot asap, germinated seed soaked in mycorrhazae inoculate planted directly into final 15++ gallon pot is ideal but if you have a very active worm population then you need to germinate in solo cup for 7 days then into final pot. Just dust the hole really well with inoculate and Optiveg.

This gives the plant the maximum time to work synergistically with the mycorrhazae to get the largest possible root system of which the mycorrhazae are a huge part of.

If you want your roots to look like this, big and bright white then you need as much DO as possible.
20200903_145028.jpg

My plants pretty much look just like this 12 straight hours everyday.
20210405_135338.jpg

20210405_135253.jpg

Little more sugar every day
20210405_142212.jpg

20210405_142302.jpg

20210405_142355.jpg

this is what the oxygenated water looks like, nice and creamy, almost seems carbonated.
20210405_134458.jpg

Ok, so going to talk about Dissolved Oxygen today as it seems as though only those that grow in Hydro even seem to know it exist.
When in fact its probably one of the most important elements in your grow.
First is you need proper soil with at least 30% aeration, worms also help tremendously as does the roots from cover crop.
Your soil tilth needs to be such that it is able to store and hold the DO so the roots can access it.

I use o2 emitters to super oxygenate my water, my goal is to get to over 12ppm DO.
My water is like a fine Guinness Stout beer when its ready to use, the water is milky top to bottom full of nano-bubbles with a head of creamy foam on top.
When I water I super charge my soil with DO, your roots need oxygen to do their thang.
The DO promotes rapid root growth especially when combined with Aloe Vera, also good to add a small pinch of bloom nutrients as a seedling because it boost root growth.
DO gives much higher density of root hairs which is responsible for water intake.
This is probably one reason why I am watering my plants every single day and most everyone else seems to be stuck at once or twice a week even in tiny little pots.
Although I think some of that is just people are too freaked out about watering and have been brow beaten to believe that dry soil is good because that's how roots get oxygen.

There can be some truth to that but only if your soil is shit and your plants aren't transpiring as well as they should.
Instead of trying to limp along forced to water just once a week because the soil can't hold oxygen thus the roots aren't strong and healthy so that they can produce copious amounts of root hairs and lots of healthy root tips which in turn supplies the plant with more nutrients.
I would much prefer to see everyone do just the opposite, I want to see you watering your flowering plants at least once a day MINIMUM.
That would mean several things and all of it good.
It would mean your soil tilth is correct and soil can hold DO.
Would mean your soil is never dry so those all important root hairs aren't being killed off in dry soil.
Would mean your roots are getting oxygen, are uptaking more nutrients, and overall plant health and vigor is good.

People need to view Dissolved Oxygen in water as a nutrient, the mother of all nutrients.
Instead it seems most view water as a necessary evil and actively try to get by with giving their plants as little as possible.
When in reality they should be striving to get that plant working like a fine tuned machine, get it to literally burn through water like a dog on prime rib.
And if not then figure out why and fix it.

I am currently watering the 20 gallon pots usually about 1-1.25 gallon a day and the 7 gallon about a 1/2 gal a day.
Thats about right for a good average should be 5 to 6% of soil volume.
I get some run off on the 7 gallon like a couple ounces but rarely a drop from the 20 gallon.

These pics I took about 30 minutes after watering, plants don't droop at all, at most they are just little bit less straight up.
Thats because they aren't starving for oxygen, if you water and your leaves flop down like you just dumped boiling water on it then something ain't right.

You also want to build up your mycorrhazae network, they largely attach themselves to the capillary roots aka root hairs, DO is key, the microbes need oxygen.
And once your roots are fully colonized your root system is now more than double even triple in size and efficiency because the plants roots are now using the tiny spider web roots of the mycorrhazae as part of its own system.
This is why it is preferable to get the plant into final pot asap, germinated seed soaked in mycorrhazae inoculate planted directly into final 15++ gallon pot is ideal but if you have a very active worm population then you need to germinate in solo cup for 7 days then into final pot. Just dust the hole really well with inoculate and Optiveg.

This gives the plant the maximum time to work synergistically with the mycorrhazae to get the largest possible root system of which the mycorrhazae are a huge part of.

If you want your roots to look like this, big and bright white then you need as much DO as possible.
20200903_145028.jpg

My plants pretty much look just like this 12 straights hours everyday.
20210405_135338.jpg

20210405_135253.jpg

Little more sugar every day
20210405_142212.jpg

20210405_142302.jpg

20210405_142355.jpg

this is what the oxygenated water looks like, nice and creamy, almost seems carbonated.
20210405_134458.jpg
Thanks for posting from your experience - great post! For my circumstances at least, I fully share your views on watering, and when it comes to DO, it makes a lot of sense to me and your plants show that or least that you're doing something right for them!

Will just snip off the tippy top about 1/4" of the bud every 2 weeks.
Supposed to help fatten the bud

It’s kind of a similar scenario to topping a plant, where it slows or stops the growth in that direction at that point, and growth tends to back up behind that point (and eventually look for a way around) Probably they won’t get denser, but they get squatter looking, which sometimes can be appealing especially if your buds are long scrawny looking things to begin with. I’ve usually only done it once per bud. Otherwise they seem to sort of turn into foxtaily blobs, but I’m sure that is partly strain dependant too.

A question for you. I have about 150 gallons of LOS mix cooking in my greenhouse, as of about a month now. In fairly cool temps- still been snowing outside a bit. I brought a 5 gallon bucket of it into the cabin by the woodstove to accelerate the cooking process. I’m thinking about bringing in more- like maybe a 30 gallon garbage can or something. So I can start growing in LOS sooner. Seem like a good enough idea? I’d like to get a plant into the mix sooner rather than later, even if it turns out to be just a science experiment. I know the mix only gets better with age, but how early is too early?

Back
Top Bottom