Oh No - It's A Green Hole! - Reverse Thrusters! - Dammit - Too Late!

Hmm, that's good to know you've had success with Clearex weasel, I've been wondering about it. I've read mixed reviews, but if it helps me flush with less water, I'm all for it! I don't know about the 3 days prior to harvest thing though. How long does it REALLY take, and who's tested this? I may have to try this in the near future, as I don't really like flushing 2 weeks out!

I may try to find the ingredients for the DIY solution next go-around, as I'm DIY all the way!

Alright Weasel, Love what is happening in here, This is so much fun!

I want you to know that I have just ordered a pair of the Lumii Glasses. Thanks for posting those. Damn are they affordable, sure beats the 200$ Method Sevens I was looking at. And Im sure they'll provide similar benefits.

You may have read in my journal about the not doing any manicuring of the plant until after the drying process, that's because that's exactly what I do!
I try and avoid trimming the entire plant too early because the chlorophyll bleeds all over your delicious buds. Not something I'm to incredibly in favour of.
Although, you want to wait until they're dry before manicuring, I don't let them dry to the point of cure. I dry them for about 3 days, do a final manicure, dry for 2ish more days then into the jars for the 2 months.

I'm so excited you've started a journal Weasel! This is going to be a blast!!

:love:

Some pics of my drying box
And the fabled tv box

WP_20150807_038.jpg
WP_20150807_039.jpg

WP_20150807_040.jpg
WP_20150807_045.jpg

WP_20150807_048.jpg
WP_20150807_047.jpg

WP_20150808_001.jpg

Awesome. Welcome Mussh!
I started writing about flushing, and what I think about Clearex, and doing a little googling on the side. Well, the huge variety of opinions I got from googling left me a little confused. And I don't really need to sit here and write about the holes in my knowledge- which are many. This time of the grow- the tail end/harvesting, is one area where I have a lot to learn.
I usually go light on the nutes towards the end anyway- then I flush- sometimes with Clearex, sometimes without, and watch for the plant to turn yellow and the buds to get extra sticky and white, without a 'green' unripe look to them. I'm pretty sure the N is the main culprit, which you want to remove from your bud to improve quality.
I just go by feel in this matter- sometimes plants are already close to looking the way I want them to without much flushing. Sometimes it takes a couple weeks. I do feel like the Clearex speeds it up.
I really can't say that I've ever noticed my bud having symptoms of poor flushing- like harsh taste, poor burning, or black ash.
I think proper curing is the main way to get nice smoking herb, and the flush is somewhat less important. Maybe the botanicare nutes are more forgiving- I don't know. I hear some people say that and I hear others say they are the worst nutes for needing a good flush.
I never heard about the idea of chlorophyll polluting the buds till I read it on your journal Pigeons.
The only way I'll ever learn this stuff is through testing I myself - so give me another 5 or ten years and I'll understand some of this. I also want to start drying my herb in cardboard boxes or bags. There are so many things I have to try out, and only so much time!
Thanks all you guys for being around! ❤️

RE. DISCUSSING AND REVIEWING NON-SPONSORED PRODUCTS

This is something I wasn't sure about so I put the question to 420 and got this response from Teddy Edwards. It was sparked by my interest in writing about the Lumii sunglasses, but finding out there there is a sponsor who makes similar glasses. I don't see anything in the pm that I can imagine to be confidential so I'm going to copy and paste it in here- except for one little bit that pertains to a post I write in another thread and isn't really relevant. Hopefully that's ok with 420- it seems like something worth posting for common knowledge.
Hi Weaselcracker

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for asking for clarification regrading non-sponsor products. Our guidelines are really quite simple but they do rely on our members using a bit of common sense. Let me deal with the generalities first, then your specific questions.

We urge everyone to please read our Guidelines and specifically the section dedicated to non-sponsor LEDs. This, as you may be aware, is the strictest non-sponsor area which we police assiduously. Reason being is that the LED market is rapidly growing and attracting some businesses who adopt underhand tactics, sock-puppets and spammers to try and get free advertising on 420 Magazine. As a result we do not allow discussion of non-sponsor LEDs. It's a real shame that a few bad seeds have spoiled the fun for the rest of us and that we cannot allow wider discussions, but these companies use tactics which are misleading to our members and unfair to our Sponsors, the income from whom pays for this website.

More generally when it comes to non-sponsor products, we welcome reviews and have no problem with the occasional mention. Here's where common-sense kicks in. There's a difference between what we call "reference" and what is considered "promotional" aka spamming.

Reference: Members want to help each other by sharing what they use to grow and where to find it, especially when helping someone with a problem. This is completely fine and needed, in order to maintain such a large community of growers sharing and helping each other.

Promotional: A first post that bumps an old thread to post a link to a site selling a product is usually a sign of a spammer who came to promote their products without paying for advertising, which we call "sidestepping". Repeat recommendations to the same site and/or product are also regarded as spam and are dealt with as such.

So in specific answers to your questions:

"Can I review/or even mention a pair of non sponsor (Lumii) grow room sunglasses. Where do I draw the line with using/mentioning/reviewing products on 420?"

Of course you can talk about and review the sunglasses. Obviously if you mentioned them in every post then it would be spamming, but legitimate product reviews are welcome as a great way to share knowledge. Especially when it comes to safety.

"If we are posting about a product which is not in competition with any 420 sponsors, is that ok in the name of the general pursuit of knowledge?"

Absolutely.

"What if there is a similar product? It was pointed out that Method Seven glasses are made by a sponsor."

A case for common-sense! We are not going to restrict reasonable mentions of products like sunglasses which are relatively low-ticket items and sold as one of a range a goods from general supply shops etc.

"What if I look at the list of sponsors but have no way of knowing whether they make such a product, since the sponsors are listed alphabetically by name and not by product?"

Understood, although strictly speaking ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law! Of course we'd encourage all our members to familiarise themselves with our sponsors, but items such as sunglasses, glass, grinders, pots, nutes, fans and all the paraphernalia are rarely a problem in discussions.

I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to PM a Moderator if you've any further queries or need clarification. We are happy to answer such questions, always via PM - doing so in-thread creates discussions which usually end in negative energy.

Thank you for your understanding and support, we are truly grateful.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

Teddy Edwards

Another random subject I'm going to post on. I've wondered if anyone else does this?
My internet connection is generally only through my cell phone. Often the service sucks. Even when it doesn't suck- I am dealing with a tiny screen which lacks many of the features of an iPad or real computer. If I'm writing a post and want to insert a smiley- I hit the smiley icon, it brings up a square with about ten smileys on it. For some reason this square doesn't like to show up on my screen well and it sort of hovers right on the edge. If I zoom out a whole bunch I can access the whole batch of smileys. There's a button in the square that says 'more'. If I hit that it takes me to a page full of smileys which often take a long time to load up for me.
Instead I've gotten in the habit of just writing out the smiley code which is a word or two in between two full colons. ( a colon looks like this- : )
For example 'thumb' with a colon : on each side is :thumb:
The heart one is 'Love' - don't forget the capital L. :love:
circle-of-love. :circle-of-love:
thankyou :thanks:
Etc.

This is way faster and easier for me. Maybe everyone else has better access to the smileys so wouldn't need to do it this way, but if not- it may be handy to know.

An attempt at recycling carbon.

At different times I've scoured the internet researching the issue of recycling carbon/activated charcoal. Some people roast it in their oven on high heat to clean it. Other people say that this is BS and it can only be re activated by using extremely high temps- far beyond what most of us have access to outside an industrial facility. I read this post from JBUptown, a few months back, and thought I would try his method.
good activated carbon can boiled for 30 minutes, sun dried, and then ground up some (I crush it a little in a few plastic bags with a piece of wood and a hammer) to expose additional cavities required to capture the undesired particles. Don't pulverize it all to dust, but do crack the larger pieces into smaller pieces. A cheap alcohol rinse doesn't hurt for the non-water soluble particles that are captured in the medium

I have over a hundred pounds of used stuff laying around so I boiled a couple large pots full. About 30 pounds per pot. I boiled each pot for an hour or two and changed the water once for each pot full.

image30303.jpg

- a pot full of carbon at full boil

image30304.jpg

- steaming in the sun

The smell coming from the hot carbon after I dumped it out of the pot, was very bad. A sort of chemical smell which went up my nose and was very disagreeable. After the second boiling it seemed less obnoxious. I never smelt any smell of cannabis at any point.
I've put it in a heated room now to dry out further. I may take JBs advice and crush it up at some point. Looks like a big job!

This is a bit of a teaser because I'm not going to put the carbon in right away. The filter I have at the moment is working fine.
And- the carbon I just boiled was sort of working when I took it out. There is never a clear line between when it is working and when it isn't. It can go for months and months blocking 'almost all' the smell. So it's kind of a grey area. If I put the boiled carbon in and experience no smell for several months or a half year, it's safe to say the cleaning has accomplished something.

MINI UPDATE

I've noticed that now this is in a journal form- I feel like I should somehow tidy up all the rough edges of this growing situation and try to present some glossy version of the reality. But no- it ain't gonna happen I refuse to do it! It would to be right- and it's not the 'mission' here anyway. Part of the point of the journal is in showing what a grow looks like when you don't have enough time to pull it off properly...or something. Ha ha ha...

I harvested the Mama Thai. The number of nanners, along with the seeds and hints of mold, was too much for me. It got five days with two large flushes using Clearex. I know the quick dried unflushed buds were fine, so I think it will be ok.

I didn't have a great candidate for the flowering room, one which was really ready to go. But since my veg room is over full right now, I decided to take the chance to clear out a plant, and moved a White Widow to flowering. Its a pretty scrawny little thing. I'm confident it will do a reasonable job of filling the screen once it gets going though.

image30307.jpg

Yeah I know it looks awful, mangled into the screen like that. :). We will see how it looks in a week or two.

THE OLD WHITE WIDOW

She is suffering. She hasn't been getting fed much, as I continue to cut back. There was a feeding about 3 weeks ago which was about 800 ppm. Then she started showing worse symptoms. Next, about ten days later, I flushed her- followed up with a very light feeding of 400 ppm. Then last night I gave her 600ppm.

It seems to be definitely getting worse in spite of cutting back the nutes. Being kind of very ignorant in some matters, I don't know if this is classic nute burn symptoms for sure, or not. I measured the ph of the runoff- 6.5. A little high but within reason I would think. Not enough to cause this anyway. So beyond over/under feeding I'm not sure where to go next. I haven't taken the time to catch up with the fellow I mentioned - who said WW is very susceptible to nute burn.
At this point I'm acting as if it is nute burn- but I did have a bad experience last winter with my PC where I kept dialing back and back- and it turned out the problem was underfeeding. Also- this WW has had several feedings during veg of about 850 ppm and was fine- though of course it was different nutes and a different growth stage. I'm not going to lose sleep over this one - but it makes me want to go to growing school. The answer is so close yet so far...
The plants next to it look fine and show no stress. I was away most of the last week. About to disappear again for another week.
That's it for now friends. ❤️ :thumb:

image30309.jpg

image30322.jpg

Hey weaselcracker. Thanks for the invite!

What are your temps like for that white widow. It looks like a heat issue. I'm not all caught up so maybe you ruled that out already. I don't think a 6.5 ph would cause that either. I'm not familiar with the canoeing of leaves like that when it comes to nute burn. Maybe the ww is just more susceptible to heat than your other ones? Are any of the other plants doing anything like this (even a subtle version of it)?

Thanks Iwltfum. It's an honor to have you here. I'm in awe of your knowledge and skills -from what I've been reading around the forum.
Yes- I saw the canoeing and thought about this. The temps max out at about 85 and the other plants haven't shown problems but I'll check later on for subtle signs. I thought maybe there was another cause for the canoeing - but if it's not nute burn then I suppose it is the heat. It did cross my mind that maybe the WW is over sensitive to the heat so I will lower it. 85 is a little high anyway -though usually it's in the high 70s.

Canoeing like that is mainly heat stress related WC. First signs are the jagged edges of the leaves pointing up like they've been folded then the leaf curling up like a canoe.

Those brown, crispy ends of a lot of those fan leaves are toxic salts buildup, aka, nute burn tho. This condition is made worse by heat stress. Happens to organically grown pot as well as hydro.

Plants nearing harvest really don't need any feeding and can get all they need by stealing from the older growth to finish up and if fed just right the older fan leaves are mostly yellow and soft come harvest time while the buds and smaller leaves still look green and healthy.

So many factors come into play when growing pot and it's a real juggling act to make them all work together to get the best results. If it was as easy as falling off a log we'd all get bored pretty quick and that wouldn't be any fun. :)

L8r

The guys are probably right Weaselcracker, but when I saw the picture I thought "That's the Tacoing the HB guys are always talking about!" They always tell each other to water with a tablespoon of Epsom salts per five gallons of water for a few waterings. Now please, novice gardener, never dealt with any deficiencies myself and no ego to worry about, so take it with a grain of salt. unintentional pun :cheesygrinsmiley:

Oh, and yeah, I type in the emoticon codes too. :love: You can tell a lot of us do, because we make mistakes all the time too. :laughtwo:

Very cool info on the carbon. Report back on how it works out, if you can tell a difference! I too have read about heating it up in a kiln or something, but many don't have access to them. I heard about the smells too, but never stinky water!

My first thought on the curling leaves was that it was due to a pH issue, but 6.5 doesn't sound bad at all for 'soil' as you call it... The odd thing is that the temps don't sound too high either, but maybe that WW is just susceptible to heat? My pH was way off during my first grow, and I got some similar "canoeing". I was in a soiless mix, but my pH was like 7.5 or 8.

It was even worse on some other plants, but I can't find those pics. Hope you don't mind the pics on your journal!

C99_2.JPG

NL_6.JPG

Canoeing like that is mainly heat stress related WC. First signs are the jagged edges of the leaves pointing up like they've been folded then the leaf curling up like a canoe.

Those brown, crispy ends of a lot of those fan leaves are toxic salts buildup, aka, nute burn tho. This condition is made worse by heat stress. Happens to organically grown pot as well as hydro.

Plants nearing harvest really don't need any feeding and can get all they need by stealing from the older growth to finish up and if fed just right the older fan leaves are mostly yellow and soft come harvest time while the buds and smaller leaves still look green and healthy.

So many factors come into play when growing pot and it's a real juggling act to make them all work together to get the best results. If it was as easy as falling off a log we'd all get bored pretty quick and that wouldn't be any fun. :)

L8r

It makes good sense when you put it like that. I know that canoeing is generally blamed on heat- just wasn't sure if it is always the number one suspect or there are other common causes. The plant is starting to look so trashed it seems perfectly normal for it to curl up like that. I would curl up too if my extremities were burned off. But that is encouraging to hear you say this. More encouraging than thinking about the high ph thing- but I'll get to that later on.
It confuses me that - after I not only flushed the plant twice over the last ten days , but also cut back a lot on its feed- it would burn so much worse afterwards.
I checked the temps again. Range last night was 72- 83. The thermometer is on a shelf higher than the plants and it's possible I'm getting a hot spot down on the plant canopy- but it doesn't seem that way to me- tiny little hood so not much enclosure, lots of airflow, and a movement fan right there.
I suppose the plant is getting on a bit, in its flowering cycle. I am so used to plants that take three or four months to flower that I hadn't thought about that. It's been 8 weeks. Though looking at it- I think it has a ways to go for sure.

But somewhere in the combo of temps, nutes, and possible high ph lies the answer, probably.
One of the reasons for bringing in the other WW is so that I can try to figure it out better with the next one.

The guys are probably right Weaselcracker, but when I saw the picture I thought "That's the Tacoing the HB guys are always talking about!" They always tell each other to water with a tablespoon of Epsom salts per five gallons of water for a few waterings. Now please, novice gardener, never dealt with any deficiencies myself and no ego to worry about, so take it with a grain of salt. unintentional pun :cheesygrinsmiley:

Oh, and yeah, I type in the emoticon codes too. :love: You can tell a lot of us do, because we make mistakes all the time too. :laughtwo:

Hey Sue. Well- it's hard for me not to feel pretty damn novice around here as well. And having never had any deficiencies - well I won't hold that against you. I do give the plants CalMag- so they 'should' have the magnesium they need I suppose but reality is - I have no ?$&$!(ing clue ha ha ha ha! I'll check out the info-net for pics of the situation you're talking about.
Hey- I see you're up and still have the green light on in the window. Cool. I like the lifestyle. I remember you saying you were going to sleep, about three hours ago now I believe it was...

For some reason I thought I was extra smart to have figured out how to type out the emoticons :). He he he. You guys are smart too obviously. It is handy for things like the rep comment box, and pms, which don't give me options for emoticons.

Very cool info on the carbon. Report back on how it works out, if you can tell a difference! I too have read about heating it up in a kiln or something, but many don't have access to them. I heard about the smells too, but never stinky water!

My first thought on the curling leaves was that it was due to a pH issue, but 6.5 doesn't sound bad at all for 'soil' as you call it... The odd thing is that the temps don't sound too high either, but maybe that WW is just susceptible to heat? My pH was way off during my first grow, and I got some similar "canoeing".

Thanks. I don't expect much to come of the boiled carbon thing, but I refuse to toss it out without at least trying once or twice to do something with it. The water didn't stink. I didn't notice any smells wafting through the air at all- but after I dumped the bucket out I put my face close and there were some sort of fumes- sort of a vinegar type burn to the nostrils but more nasty and chemical.

Some things have been bugging me all day about the ph thing. First realization was that I flushed to that plant well a couple days ago. So it is definitely possible that the pH was much higher before I started soaking it down. But I failed to check.

Another thing. I collect rainwater in barrels outside and then I pump it into my grow. The rainwater is usually about 5.6 - 5.8. But I noticed that when it is inside the grow room in the barrels the pH is constantly rising. So it seems I have to be putting pH-down in the barrels all the time.

Why doesn't the pH rise in the outside rain barrels? Colder temperatures maybe? Maybe it does rise and I just haven't noticed. It is getting replaced from the sky quite often. Presumably the PH rises after I put the water in the pots as well. There is a chance that there is some funky shit going on there that has gone unnoticed. I have to run off for a bit for work but when I get the chance I'm going to try to sort this out, and also do a good run-off checking session.

Got me to thinking about the strangeness of that situation. That the pH would be rising like that. I wash the barrels out every few months but there's usually a little bit of natural scum trying to grow on the bottom, and I thought maybe it was that little bit of algae or slime that was raising the pH. The last while I've been adding calmag direct to the barrels, maybe that's a factor.

In the veg room water reservoir barrel I recently tossed a bubbler in just for the heck of it. Maybe somehow the bubbler is causing the pH of that barrel to rise. But the barrel without the bubbles is also rising.
When I get the chance I'll look into this more and try to pin down what is actually happening.

This journalling things really makes me accountable! Geez- I can see that I'm going to have to pay attention here!

* oh yeah. - post anything you want on here and any pics you feel like!

Back
Top Bottom