Ohio Update!

Tonya Davis

Hello everyone, Happy 2008 everyone

My name is Tonya Davis

It has been awhile since Ive posted any thing but We have been busy getting the medical cannabis bill lanuage together. Now it is in the hands of the Ohio Senator who is going to sponsor and Introduce this Bill that would give the sick and dieing a little dignity.

Who is we ya ask? Well its Ohio Patients, North Ohio NORML and of course myself who got together from allover the state via phone, email and in person to create a medical cannabis bill we could be proud of.

Below is the
Summary of the Ohio Medical Compassion Act
The Ohio Medical Compassion Act If made into law would allow the very sick (who are under a doctors care) to use marihuana as a medicine. This would save the tax payers alot of money by Not arresting prosecuting and NOT sending sick folks to prison for using marihuana as a medicine.

This would protect your doctor and allow he/ she to discuss ALL options for treatment including the safe use of medical cannabis without the fear of harassment.

Summary of the Ohio Medical Compassion Act

Defines the legitimate medical use of cannabis (aka marihuana)

• Only a patient with a medical condition or illness that is sufficiently serious or debilitating, and who has the approval of his

or her medical practitioner, will be able to use cannabis under the Ohio Medical Compassion Act (OMCA).

Protects patients from arrest and allows law enforcement to easily identify legitimate patients

• The OMCA creates a system requiring patients to register with the state, which allows the state to ensure that only patients

with debilitating medical conditions who have their doctors' recommendations receive legal protections.

• Registered patients are issued ID cards from the state, which provides the patient with an easy way to prove to law

enforcement officials that they are complying with the law via a confidential, blind system allows law enforcement to verify

that the card is valid.

Protects primary caregivers of patients from arrest and prison

• Many patients are too ill to provide for their own medical use of cannabis (marihuana), so they need a caregiver to provide it

for them. These caregivers are also protected from arrest and prison. Caregivers can also receive reimbursement for the costs

associated with providing patients with their medicine.

Provides patients a legal means of obtaining and using cannabis (marihuana)

• Permits patients to cultivate their own cannabis.

• Permits patients to possess paraphernalia for consuming.

• Permits primary caregivers to cultivate cannabis on behalf of patients.

• Permits patients or primary caregivers to purchase cannabis from the criminal market.

Allows patients and primary caregivers who are arrested to discuss the cannabis medical use in court

• The affirmative defense provisions serves as a safety net in case the patient is not registered, or is in process of registration or

administration does not implement the registry ID system.

• Affirmative defense is only applicable if a medical practitioner says the potential benefits of using cannabis would likely

outweigh the health risks and the patient and caregiver do not possess more cannabis than is reasonably necessary.

Establishes sensible restrictions on medical cannabis use

• Limits the amount of cannabis patients and caregivers can possess to 200 grams and 12 mature plants.

• Prohibits motorized vehicle operation if impaired.

• Prohibits smoking of cannabis in public places.

• Does not require employers to accommodate the medical use of cannabis in the workplace.

Establishes government control mechanism

• Includes oversight board in the Ohio Department of Health concerning possession limits and conditions.

• Encourages Ohio Department of Agriculture to establish safe growing practices.

Creates protections beyond arrest and prison for patients, caregivers, and physicians

• Patients cannot be denied custody or visitation of a minor for acting in accordance with this act.

• The OMCA exempts patients, primary caregivers, and physicians from state penalties and disciplinary action by a business or

occupational or professional licensing board.

• The OMCA protects patients' right to live, work, and earn a living by providing that no school, employer, or landlord may

refuse to enroll or employ or lease to, or otherwise penalize a person solely for his or her status as a registered qualifying

patient or a registered primary caregiver.

Does not require physicians to violate federal law in order for patients to legally use medical cannabis

• Federal law prohibits doctors from prescribing marijuana, but doctors are permitted under federal law to evaluate the relative

risks and benefits of the medical use of cannabis and recommend that a patient use it.

What can I do to support this!!?

1. Contact your state senators, congressmen and Governor to let then know that you support legalization of cannabis. If you choose to write or send an e-mail to them, make sure you use spell-check and be as articulate and professional as you can be. Stay focused in your letter...keep the subject matter on cannabis and avoid mention of other drugs. Refrain from using terms like "pot" and "weed". Try "cannabis" or "marijuana" instead. It's a serious matter...be serious when you talk about it.

2. If you're not currently registered to vote...and you are legally able to do so, then register and start voting. Vote in all elections--not just the presidential election. This will establish you as a voter. Legislators can easily access the voting records to see who shows up at the polls or not. They are far more likely to listen to a person who votes than one who doesn't.

3. Support groups that are dedicated to the legalization of cannabis, e.g. NORML.

:bongrip: Peace

Im in Cincy through out the year. Great city... Ok back to your question... You can

contact Senator Eric Kearney ( He is your Senator Id imagine ) at

email Senatorkearney@maild.sen.state.oh.us or

by phone at 614/466-5980 or

snail mail it..........Address:

Senate Building
Room #057, Ground Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215

Just ask him or whoever answers ( probably mathew will answer) to join / support Senator Tom Roberts Bill to protect the sick and dieing from arrest and prosecution for using marihuana/ cannabis as a medicine, under a doctors supervision and who have qualifing conditions. keep it short but sweet.

Hope this helps
:smokin:

Tonya

What can I do to support this!!?

So true.... You must register to vote to make your voice heard... Thank you

1. Contact your state senators, congressmen and Governor to let then know that you support legalization of cannabis. If you choose to write or send an e-mail to them, make sure you use spell-check and be as articulate and professional as you can be. Stay focused in your letter...keep the subject matter on cannabis and avoid mention of other drugs. Refrain from using terms like "pot" and "weed". Try "cannabis" or "marijuana" instead. It's a serious matter...be serious when you talk about it.

2. If you're not currently registered to vote...and you are legally able to do so, then register and start voting. Vote in all elections--not just the presidential election. This will establish you as a voter. Legislators can easily access the voting records to see who shows up at the polls or not. They are far more likely to listen to a person who votes than one who doesn't.

3. Support groups that are dedicated to the legalization of cannabis, e.g. NORML.

Keep us updated on your progress Tonya. It would be great if Michigan and Ohio could lead the midwest in passage of this legislation.

Since October, I've had two back surgeries. I probably could've opened up my own pharmacy with all the pills I was given for pain. When the pain got bad enough, the pills couldn't begin to touch my pain. The only pain relief I could find was with cannabis.

Sometimes I look at the box of pills I was prescribed, and then I look at my jar of herb. It amazes me that the pills--which have the potential to kill me--are legal--while my harmless herb could land me in jail.

Although I smoked before my back problems, it was hardly something I advertised. While I am still discreet, I now make it a point to tell everyone how it has helped my back pain. I think it's cool that everyone I've shared my story with has been supportive of my medicinal use--even people who do not support general legalization of cannabis.

Back
Top Bottom