Ohioboy With Fast Buds: Let's See How Fast Exactly

Yuk, slimy looking thing. LOL I haven't a clue, did a little search on google images but I have no idea what to call it, so no luck.

Hopefully someone will pop in that recognizes it. I've given some thoughts on beetle and other borers, so let's see what else people have to offer.

Glad you had the neem oil handy!

I gotta get some stuff done here, will check back later. Keep the hunt on for critters if you can.

Bless you

Outdoor organics. Ohioboy With Fast Buds - Let's See How Fast Exactly

Ya know the most distressing part about this ordeal is that this is the second time this has happened to a plant of mine last time it was 2 plants and it was a race to flower because I would come out in the am and a new branch would be dropped dieing with a big premature bud on it and I'd have to cut it off and litterally I watched those two plants die a branch at a time over 2 months until finally they were done flowering but by that time I think there were only a few branches left on each plant it was a big bummer

Outdoor organics. Kera Bubblegum & Northern Lights & An Afghan Lime Are My 3 Strains & I'm Growing

That is so sad. If it happens completely to this one, maybe we can identify the issue by dissecting it and preventing any future attacks.
I put a note in to Lester Freeman, formerly Relaxed Lester, to see what his thoughts are. He's a moderator now, but I hope he has time to take a peek.

Check our sponsor SNS, for critter control products. They have a great line that targets all kinds of different issues:
Natural Pesticides | Sierra Natural Science

:thumb:

Also, keep in mind that Moths are usually the larvae culprits. (Beetles do it to) They lay the eggs in the soil or on the plant, and the larvae feed off the plant.

So, if you have moths around...and being your quite close to me I know you have them, you're going to have larvae. (caterpillars)

I have a major problem with my grape vines right now, they have literally destroyed many leaves already with the larvae from the moths. Rolled up leaves with webby looking stuff is the clue.

The Diamotaceous Earth powder killed all of the larvae that I could get to within one day. I put it on the top of the soil and mixed in there as well.

Hello ohioboy,

Here are my thoughts, what you have depicted looks like a scale insect, but I'm not sure if this is the culprit for killing your branch. Scale insects clamp onto the stems, sucking the vascular juices from the plant, I would think you would need several attached scale insects to take that branch down.

When you're growing outside, you deal with a plethora of insect problems so you have to stay fairly vigilant throughout to ensure your medicine comes out clean.

Keep in mind that cannabis stems and trunks will indeed hollow out naturally as they get older and older (this is one sign that the plant is mature), so just because it's hollow does not necessarily mean that it's been chewed out from the inside. However, with these worms, it can be very difficult to find them since they are mobile. One tell-tale sign would be an "entry-pore" that you can see in one of my pictures.

Anyway, considering it may not be borers, your branch appeared to have some kind of fungus/rot growing either on it, or inside it at one time. Recently I had to cut off a top cola off my plant not because mold was growing ON the stem, but the fungus pathogen had found its way INSIDE the stem, and so a simple alcohol swab wouldn't work, the entire branch must have been cut off to save the rest.

You must consider the temperature and humidity and whether this could have promoted fungus.

Another tell-tale sign that worms are about, are the fecal matter droppings, if you see them - then it becomes obvious what you are dealing with. It appears your plant have gone through some revegeation, which makes it a bit vulnerable to pests because of all of the foliage they can hide under and escape unnoticed. Make sure to do daily inspects and remove ALL dead material because this attracts fungus and pests.

Revegetation is a stressful thing for these plants, and may cause hindrances in resistance genes which keep the plant healthy. People forget that these are organisms that are alive, they are prone to sickness/disease just as we are, and not all specimens are perfect in nature, but we do the best we can.

What I would recommend is to inspect the plant for problems as much as possible, cut and remove dead material as you find it. You may also consider trimming a good portion of the lowest canopy of the plant, as this won't produce great flowers and is more of a nesting zone for creatures looking for food or to stay cozy at night.

SNS, as Cannafan pointed out, have some great preventative products that you should check out. However you will want to pick up a bottle of "Azamax" (google it) as this is IMO the superior broad-spectrum insecticide (which is safe to use of course), BT also does work well, but I do not like the smell of it on my plants and I've had better luck with Azamax.

1) Maintain daily inspections looking for pests (look under the stems, everywhere, look for the scale insects that may be attached)
2) Trim clustered areas, remove dead material
3) Spray BT or azamax once a week, emphasizing the undersides of the leaves

Also note that even a single old calyx on a stem may be a fungal initiation site, which can cause internal stem rot - this is very hard to deal with so you just have to look for possible mold spots when you inspect. Also consider the humidity when you are watering, make sure not to overwater.

Just stay positive and take it as a learning experience about what you might encounter while growing, and know that it could be worse.

Hope this helps! :Namaste: :goodluck:

No you haven't eliminated the mites theory and I am 99% sure that is exactly what that is... That is most definitely Spider Mite turds that they leave on the leaves.... as for your branch... I had an outside girl do the same exact thing last year through the stalk till it literally just fell over... I can't positively say it was those caterpillar bat rastards but if it wasn't it was a mole that ate through it from underneath but I would lay money on the bat rastard caterpillar thingys.... and just because they still are not there does not mean they weren't... I wish I could give a definitive on the branch but I know that's spider mites.... d cut that branch off at the stalk and check the rest of her really well... Get some SNS or rosemary oil and dose her... The SNS stuff works amazingly well and it has rosemary oil in it and it will also help with trich production... I know it isn't thrip cause they leave ugly little carcusus.... IMO that is most certainly spider mites...:sorry:....:circle-of-love:

And the stalk you posted looks like this:

420-magazine-mobile732319843.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1930863638.jpg

The hollow is because it was eaten by something from the inside. IMO

Now, hit me everybody...but it sure looks similar to corn borer or other larvae damage!

:laugh:

Canna is spot on.....:circle-of-love:

Hello ohioboy,

Here are my thoughts, what you have depicted looks like a scale insect, but I'm not sure if this is the culprit for killing your branch. Scale insects clamp onto the stems, sucking the vascular juices from the plant, I would think you would need several attached scale insects to take that branch down.

When you're growing outside, you deal with a plethora of insect problems so you have to stay fairly vigilant throughout to ensure your medicine comes out clean.

Keep in mind that cannabis stems and trunks will indeed hollow out naturally as they get older and older (this is one sign that the plant is mature), so just because it's hollow does not necessarily mean that it's been chewed out from the inside. However, with these worms, it can be very difficult to find them since they are mobile. One tell-tale sign would be an "entry-pore" that you can see in one of my pictures.

Anyway, considering it may not be borers, your branch appeared to have some kind of fungus/rot growing either on it, or inside it at one time. Recently I had to cut off a top cola off my plant not because mold was growing ON the stem, but the fungus pathogen had found its way INSIDE the stem, and so a simple alcohol swab wouldn't work, the entire branch must have been cut off to save the rest.

You must consider the temperature and humidity and whether this could have promoted fungus.

Another tell-tale sign that worms are about, are the fecal matter droppings, if you see them - then it becomes obvious what you are dealing with. It appears your plant have gone through some revegeation, which makes it a bit vulnerable to pests because of all of the foliage they can hide under and escape unnoticed. Make sure to do daily inspects and remove ALL dead material because this attracts fungus and pests.

Revegetation is a stressful thing for these plants, and may cause hindrances in resistance genes which keep the plant healthy. People forget that these are organisms that are alive, they are prone to sickness/disease just as we are, and not all specimens are perfect in nature, but we do the best we can.

What I would recommend is to inspect the plant for problems as much as possible, cut and remove dead material as you find it. You may also consider trimming a good portion of the lowest canopy of the plant, as this won't produce great flowers and is more of a nesting zone for creatures looking for food or to stay cozy at night.

SNS, as Cannafan pointed out, have some great preventative products that you should check out. However you will want to pick up a bottle of "Azamax" (google it) as this is IMO the superior broad-spectrum insecticide (which is safe to use of course), BT also does work well, but I do not like the smell of it on my plants and I've had better luck with Azamax.

1) Maintain daily inspections looking for pests (look under the stems, everywhere, look for the scale insects that may be attached)
2) Trim clustered areas, remove dead material
3) Spray BT or azamax once a week, emphasizing the undersides of the leaves

Also note that even a single old calyx on a stem may be a fungal initiation site, which can cause internal stem rot - this is very hard to deal with so you just have to look for possible mold spots when you inspect. Also consider the humidity when you are watering, make sure not to overwater.

Just stay positive and take it as a learning experience about what you might encounter while growing, and know that it could be worse.

Hope this helps! :Namaste: :goodluck:

Thank you so very much I was worried about thinning out because I didn't want to make a bunch open wounds to possibly make it easier to get into the plant but I'll thin out the bottom canopy as you suggested and azamax is on its way 2 day delivery!! Thank you brother I needed that shot of positive energy bless you all family I love the community action on this forum it's one in a million

Outdoor organics. Ohioboy With Fast Buds - Let's See How Fast Exactly

Edit:
Scale - fight it off with Montery Insect Spray - this is part of my weekly (2x a week) IPM routine. You need to spray 2x a week EVERY week start to finish. Gets rid of thrips and others as well. Not sure you have spider mites - with spider mites definitely do NOT use a fan - that blows them around makes infestation exponentially worse.

Amazon: Monterey Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad Concentrate 32oz

1666658631349.png

Call your local Agricultural extension office get a hold of someone that can identify this critter and email them this picture.
Here's a link to Washington State. Select the county you're in and call them.

Extension Locations | WSU Extension | Washington State University

Chances are they've seen this and it's already an issue. Tell them you are an organic gardener and they will be glad to help you. You don't have to tell them what you're growing. Use common sense but ask for help. It's the best shot at whats going on outdoors in your area. In fact if you're in the PACNW on an island chances are you're in a "micro environment/climate" - different than pretty much anyone here that's going to give you good advice. Go local go green ...

Just remember that growing outdoors is a harsh environment. Chances are very good that your seed selection is probably not the best for your area. Very likely in fact. I wouldn't choose seeds based on what I prefer to smoke (growing outdoors) - I'd be hitting up your local seed bank and asking whats best for out doors in your local... I bet someone spent a fair amount of time breeding strains that will hold up to the challenges in your area outdoors. example being 70+% RH... you need strains that are hardy against Powdery Mildew for example.

If you're in another state all states have Ag. Extension offices - they will be up to speed with what's going on with insects as it has a huge or the potential to have huge impacts on agricultural costs and impacts on harvests as you are having now.

@bobrown14

You wrote:

Edit:
Scale - fight it off with Montery Insect Spray - this is part of my weekly (2x a week) IPM routine. You need to spray 2x a week EVERY week start to finish. Gets rid of thrips and others as well. Not sure you have spider mites - with spider mites definitely do NOT use a fan - that blows them around makes infestation exponentially worse.

Thanks for the information on the spray coming from me as well, I am in the same area of the country as Ohio and I have outdoor plants this year again. Had major thrip and Aphids issues on a plant, (among every other plant consuming insect on the planet it seems on the others) so I will check into this product too.

Funny, as many critters as I've had to control out here spider mites have not been one. :wood:

:thanks:

Spinosad/Monterrey Spray along with Neem oil mixed with aloe to emulsify the oil in water pretty much will tco most all critters, maybe even the 4 legged ones too! The 8 legged ones (spider mites) are the MoFos to watch for but they don't travel well and are happy to infest one branch until there's a population of em and then a wind = poof they are everywhere! Not good. Mites are the pests I look for every day.. the rest I don't worry about too much cause I do the IPM routine. Once you try it and see the ladies reaction, it will become weekly practice FTW.

For the IPM going forward:

What I do is mix in 1tbs Monterrey Spray, 2-4 tbs of Fulpower and 1 tps of Dyna-Gro Pro-tekt to 1 gal filtered water and spray 2x a week start to finish. You can spray all the way up to the day before chop. I sometimes add in 1tps of Epsom Salts and/or SeaCrop to the IPM and some other goodies to keep the ladies fresh. 2x a week every week... did I mention 2x a week every week?

I've done this spray on our outdoor garden with good result. Of course the best defense against infestations are healthy plants. Pests are opportunists, they will look for weak plants and start with them. If you know you have a plant in trouble and say you have 10 more, my solution is to cull the one unhealthy plant. In the long run this will save you a shit-ton of stress and hardship... and don't forget your IPM.

Back
Top Bottom