Oil, my first try

15% THC, 0% CBD, 8 grams of flower, thank you!
I don't think I need the percentages or weight of the flowers though if I'm going with the 75% number below.
I would assume not from what I've read, I was thinking around 75%.

I have to say I have no idea if this is correct, having never tried the spreadsheet with concentrate, but this is what I got:
75% THC
.5 gram (ml) concentrate
3750ml carrier oil (127 ounces!)
at 100% efficiency (because all the concentrate will dissolve in the carrier oil)
gives you 10.00mg THC/ml oil.

Standard disclaimers apply!

gives you 10.00ml THC/mg oil

I think that should read 10mg THC per ml of oil? If so, that's 375 doses of 10mg thc, which doesn't sound right for just 8 grams of flower.

Thanks for the brainstorm I'll see what else I can find or come up with. I'll see if I can put my 20 years of data analyst spreadsheet work to good use :)

8 grams of GG4 = 8,000mg
Assume the GG4 is 15% THC, or 8000mg x .15 = 960mg of THC
I'll assume the wash will get 75% of that, so whatever I collect should have 720mg of THC.

I'm going to cut the oil now using my original calc that I'll have 720mg of THC from 8 grams of 15% THC flower. That will be 72 10mg doses.

I have #4 capsules, which are .21ml, so I need .21 * 72 doses, or 15ml of liquid to squirt in the capsules. I already have the 1-2ml of oil, so that means I'll add 13ml-14ml of my custom mix of coconut, MCT and lecithin to get to 15ml.

From my perspective, the largest assumption is how much of the flower THC gets to the oil, I'm using 75% and can adjust that as experience dictates.

The next largest assumption is the THC content of the flower... this was bought from a legal rec dispensary with a label stating "Total THC: 15.9%". From what I've gathered so far, if the THC content is not sure, like seed grown or non-labeled source, use 10% as a good average to start with.

So here we go, I'm snickering as I stir my brew...

To the moon
To the sun
To the skies
To the water
Stars let your fires burn
Winds let your strength grow
Let us unite
Let us shine bright

:)

0419191637.jpg

A little heat did the trick. I filled up 12 capsules (8 drops each) before I realized I didn't decarb.

So did the 4 hrs on the cheap heating plate that fluctuated between 170 and 230f activate the THC? Let's PUT IT TO THE TEST!

Popping a pill now and will check back later. I'll decide then if I'll do another round of heating. Wish me a happy first trip! :)

0419191750.jpg

0419191809.jpg

Popping a pill now and will check back later

2 hours later, feeling content and comfy, but nothing like I know I should feel like after a 10mg edible.

So I'm guessing a proper decarb is needed. The heat plate is all I have safe access to, so I'll put the glass in another pan, raised off the bottom, in oil, and do 240f for 40 minutes.

I'll keep the 11 remaining capsules around for mild night caps. (pun intended!) Looking forward to filling another 40 or so tomorrow.

Well done. :high-five:

With alcohol extractions you can expect to get around 95% extraction efficiency, not 75%. Infused oils have an extraction efficiency rate of 85%, and alcohol is much more efficient.

95% x 15% = 0.1425 extraction multiplier

0.1425 x 8 grams of bud = 1.24 grams of avail THC

1.24 x 1000 = 1,240 mg of THC available in the CCO you created.

That’s a bit more than you calculated.

Once you decarb the rest I’d expect you’ll get a good buzz. :battingeyelashes:

A 10 mg edible wouldn’t do much for me at all. :laugh2;

lol Sue, I'm such a baby in the woods :)

Once you decarb the rest I’d expect you’ll get a good buzz.

An oil double warmer doesn't work on this hot plate, but this worked well, real thick glass did good on the hottest part of the plate. I was stirring often... lots of bubbles when it hit around 220...

0419192126.jpg

This is 30 minutes later on 240, done with big bubbles but still micro bubbles coming up, not sure what that is.

0419192202.jpg

It's ready, time to cool down and... fill another cap???? lol

@SweetSue I read on one of your threads about licking utensils lol Well I've been doing the same on this oil, I have this unremovable smile on my face hahaa

WooHoo Brian! :laughtwo:

I have a hard time not licking utensils...and bowls... and any drips. :rofl:

I couldn't wait until tomorrow! pheww, I'm tired, and a bit toasty lol

Final output was:
- 12 carbed oil capsules
- 48.5 decarbed oil capsules

This is 16% less than the original calculation. Possible reasons are:
- Loss from so much handling, first time experience, loss from open container decarbing, drips from and residual oil on utensils, capsule too small to handle. I think next time I'll add 10% to the filler, prior to carbing, to cover for that difference.

0419192337.jpg

Other reflections:

- These #4 capsules are little... ok I mean TINY! lol Fumbling a few times made a little mess. I'll get the next size larger next time. That will only require a small increase in the volume of the filler oils (Coconut, MCT and licithin).
- Using the infrared gun thermometer WITH a cooking probe thermometer helped to determine real temp. The former doesn't do well with many liquids... the darker the liquid the more accurate.

I'm HAPPY! For a few reasons of course. Thanks for following along!

Am I the first post of 4/20?... well in central USA I bet I am :)

The micro bubbles are the very last of the decarb. There’s not enough science yet to explain it to my satisfaction, but it may be one of the cannabinoids taking longer to release the carboxyl groups.

Another reason to get a short path distillation kit, we need ANSWERS! hehe

Wait someone wants my attention......

0420190006a.jpg

"Dobby says it's time for medicine. Dobby take care of you."

Sighhhh..... :)

I have to say I have no idea if this is correct, having never tried the spreadsheet with concentrate, but this is what I got:
75% THC
.5 gram (ml) concentrate
3750ml carrier oil (127 ounces!)
at 100% efficiency (because all the concentrate will dissolve in the carrier oil)
gives you 10.00mg THC/ml oil.
Standard disclaimers apply!

I don't think 3750ml of carrier oil can possibly be right, Shed. That's 15 cups of oil for 1/2 a ml of CCO. I know math isn't my strong suit but I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

Here's SweetSue's bio-bomb recipe and it only calls for 45 ml of oil:

5:1 BioBomb Capsules

Be aware that these are powerful capsules that will hit your system hard and fast. Onset is typically within 5-10 minutes and, unlike other edibles, it hits at full force and stays that way for up to 10 hours. This is not an exaggeration. I typically take the next capsule somewhere around hours 7-9.

The basic recipe is (1 gr CCO + 5 ml coconut oil) + 15 ml lecithin + 45 ml coconut oil.

If you're using less than a gram of CCO you just adjust the recipe proportionately.

The Process

1 gram of CCO added to 5 ml of coconut oil. Set the dish in a hot water bath, just at boiling. Turn the fire off when the water gets to boiling.

When the CCO begins to melt into the coconut oil you can begin to stir. Get it completely mixed together before you move to the next step.

I use the end of my teaspoon to stir. It's stainless, has a small but effective surface area and does the job for me.

Add 45 ml of coconut oil and 15 ml of liquid sunflower lecithin.

Stir together until it's all thoroughly mixed. When you think it's mixed enough let it sit for a few seconds to see if anything's trying to separate out. If so, keep mixing.

Seal the mixture securely and refrigerate overnight. This bonds the components together in a way that won't happen without the chill.

After at least 12 hours remove from the refrigerator and let it slowly come to room temperature. Check to be sure it's all well mixed and fill the capsules.

:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom