Oil, my first try

I don't think 3750ml of carrier oil can possibly be right, Shed. That's 15 cups of oil for 1/2 a ml of CCO. I know math isn't my strong suit but I'm pretty sure that's wrong.
Thanks for that find HG! I went back and looked at the numbers again and spotted my mistake! (Standard disclaimers applied ;).) I put in 100 for the efficiency number instead of 1 :eek: .

Just for the sake of clarity, let me post the correction here:
75% THC
.5 grams (ml) concentrate
37.5 ml oil
100% efficiency
10mg THC/ml finished oil

Sorry all for that :sorry: . Just off by two decimal place :oops: .

I forgot to post the results of the decarbed capsules... they stoned me well! Judging from the effects compared to some 10mg edibles I got from a licensed CO dispensary I'd say they are between 10-15mg per capsule.

Decarbing made ALL the difference in the world! I'm glad I made the mistake of filling some caps before decarbing. Nothing like experience to learn from :)

About ten minutes after popping a cap I have a small burp or two, completely manageable. For the next batch I'll get the next size bigger caps for easier handling and dilute a little more to get under 10mg per cap.

My calculations were pretty close, so I'll tweak them next time, put it in a spreadsheet and share it.

Thanks for following, it was a blast and it keeps giving!

Any thoughts about what is causing the gas from digesting the capsules and CCO?

To recap, my ingredients were:

13% CCO
40% coconut
27% MCT
20% lecithin

@SweetSue Would love to hear from you on this topic!

I’d peg it to digestive juices doing their thing. :laughtwo: That burp is pretty standard. I’ve had it noted by just about everyone I know who uses capsules. To be honest, I’d never stopped to consider what in the formulations would be causing this reaction. :hmmmm:

Look at that.... another rabbit hole. Lol!

Well done Brian. :high-five: You came at the project with the healthiest mindset, one of play. :slide: Glad I am that you worked it all out, and thanks so much for sharing the adventure with us. :hug:

To recap, my ingredients were:
13% CCO
40% coconut
27% MCT
20% lecithin

Come to learn that MCT oils are NOT good for digestion. To summarize the words of a chemist in a video explaining the benefits of nanoemulsifying extracts, "MCT oils turn to prefatty acids, which are too small to incorporate THC/CBD properly... they do not shuttle the actives well to the bloodstream".

So no more MCT oil in my future edibles... any of the LCT oils (olive, coconout, etc) and lecithin should do fine!

Done! Took 4-5 hrs. The alcohol smell is gone, now smells exactly like the original GG4 except... thicker!

Tomorrow I'll warm up some coconut oil, measure it carefully so I can dose it properly, then mix it in.

Then, to the decarb step. I'll have a proper thermometer so I'll be sure not to take it over 240 for around 30 minutes. Then I'll fill it in some #4 capsules.

0418192051.jpg
A suggestion if I may Brian. Decarb before extraction next batch. Otherwise you seem dialed in.

Thanks, indeed it should. I corrected it above. PM me when you get to 50 posts and I can get you a link to the spreadsheet to play with. The mods don't want me posting links to google docs in the forums.

:goodluck:
Hi Shed,
If you wouldn't mind. :)

Hi Brian,
Somehow I missed the final Lecithin percentage?

I'm not sure, next time I will be changing it and not using MCT oil. It's a very small amount, I think I've seen elsewhere a teaspoon of lecithin for every cup.

I use a tablespoon for each cup of infused oil, and adjust downwards if necessary, always choosing generosity over frugality. Lecithin is an excellent boost to bioavailability, and I work from a concept that “more is more.”

And add it after you’ve strained the oil. Then let the combined mix sit overnight to allow the lecithin to disperse those molecules. If using coconut oil it’s helpful to bring it back into liquid form a couple times before using and stir again to keep things homogeneous.

Come to learn that MCT oils are NOT good for digestion. To summarize the words of a chemist in a video explaining the benefits of nanoemulsifying extracts, "MCT oils turn to prefatty acids, which are too small to incorporate THC/CBD properly... they do not shuttle the actives well to the bloodstream".

So no more MCT oil in my future edibles... any of the LCT oils (olive, coconout, etc) and lecithin should do fine!

Thank you for this Brian. I’ve been working with panacea in PMs and he just asked me about MCTs yesterday. Hmmm his’ll help him with his decision. :hug:

Some of the ppl i treated using flaxseed oil for the bio bombs had problems with reflux that is why i discontinued using it and went to EVOO. Unfortunately i just ordered (2) bottles of the MCT oil yesterday thinking it would be the best. I should of known ! it is what pharma uses in their infused oils ffs.

Flaxseed oil can be used for topicals if that's any consolation.

I call that a good consolation. :thumb:

Thanks for that Shed, I been recently experimenting with different salves n lotions. i have a CBD Blue dream and a high THC Cookies kush strain and currently processing a raw cannabis extraction using no heat ( evaporating Alcohol at room temperature). I read many people stating you get a better pain med topically using Raw Cannabis keeping the THCA & CBDA .

Back
Top Bottom