Oil, my first try

Yes i will buddy, i may need to add a little heat to speed up the evaporation process or it may take awhile, but do not want to carboxylate the acid molecule. I also read somewhere that CBD & CBDA is 10X more permeable then THC , so it is more recommended for topicals then any other compound.

Well there we go, I have more faith in what Sue has found out on the topical pain relief then what i read. That is a big issue out there , so many conflicting reports on what works best. I know many companies and individuals have been putting CBD on the pedestal for the last few years and the reason behind this alot of the times is that they could ship CBD legally since it was not classified as a schedule 1 drug. Big reason for these companies to take advantage of others, that being said i agree that CBD does work but no way should THC take a back seat. If i had a choice i would definitely opt for the THC.

I'm curious how the THCa stuff works.

Easy enough to make a cream or oil with THC, THCA, CBD and CBDA... just grow a 1:1 strain, decarb half and don't decarb the other half. Decarb is a bit different since CBDA requires a higher temp. Will cross that bridge when I get there. I've seen zero talk about this, so maybe a novel way to proceed.

I am about to make my first oil and I am a bit overwhelmed with all the information that can be found. I see some people decarb their buds before they infuse it and further process, e.g. topicals. Others I saw using an oil bath and decarb while infusing. I am confused. I guess both work, is there any preferred method?

I prefer decarbing before infusion just to assure myself it is decarbed. :thumb:
Thank you. In the oven now, just started 32g of beautiful trim with lots of crystals at 100°C for 90 min. Can't wait. Haven't decided on a carrier oil (mix) yet. I want to further process this oil for topicals and edibles. Any recommendations? I have grape seed, fractionated coconut, olive and sweet almond oil . Which one would you chose as a carrier? Thank you

I think I have enough to make two different ones :D
I'm eyeing at 340ml in total for the 32gr trim, which I equalled - due to great quality - with 20gr flower. That should make it 10mg/ml (thanks to InTheShed for linking the google Sheet) and I think that's a good base to continue processing. Thank you and excited, yeay :)

Thank you. In the oven now, just started 32g of beautiful trim with lots of crystals at 100°C for 90 min.

Great fun isn't it? Hearing people say my topicals take away their pain is an amazing gift!

For my first try I decarbed the oil on the hot plate, worked fine. For my 2nd try (linked in my sig), I decarbed the bud before extraction in an instapot... worked fine as well. I made roll-on oil, body butter and capsules, recipes are here Oil, my 2nd try

I am about to make my first oil and I am a bit overwhelmed with all the information that can be found. I see some people decarb their buds before they infuse it and further process, e.g. topicals. Others I saw using an oil bath and decarb while infusing. I am confused. I guess both work, is there any preferred method?

I decarb my buds first, too in the oven at 230F for 110 minutes, which the community figured out was the optimum temperature and time to decarb properly.

It's actually not all that complicated to make oil; it can just be time consuming. But, reading the info on 420magazine can be overwhelming for the newbie.

If you have an Instant Pot, SweetSue has a good picture tutorial for making oil in it. Here's the link, if you're interested:

Instant Pot Cannabis Oil

I make mine in a mini crockpot. :battingeyelashes:

What kind of oil you make depends on how you're planning on using it. If you want to make a pain cream or salve with it, there are carrier oils that help the cream penetrate your skin although some people like InTheShed (I think) who just use the oil as a salve without going to all the trouble of making a cream. I use either sweet almond oil, pumpkin seed oil or apricot kernel oil as my carrier oil.

If you just want to take capsules for your issue, those work, too. I use sunflower oil for oral use.

I tend to use my cream for breakthrough pain and I take the oil orally 3 times a day to manage my normal day-to-day pain. Anytime that these don't manage the pain, I take a bio-bomb capsule, which was made with coconut oil and concentrated cannabis oil.

Concentrated cannabis oil is also an effective weapon against cancer and it's not as easy to make as the regular oil.

I know it's a lot but there are a lot of people on this website to help. Just ask as many questions as you need to and someone will help.

Good luck.

I decarb my buds first, too in the oven at 230F for 110 minutes, which the community figured out was the optimum temperature and time to decarb properly.

It's actually not all that complicated to make oil; it can just be time consuming. But, reading the info on 420magazine can be overwhelming for the newbie.

If you have an Instant Pot, SweetSue has a good picture tutorial for making oil in it. Here's the link, if you're interested:

Instant Pot Cannabis Oil

I make mine in a mini crockpot. :battingeyelashes:

What kind of oil you make depends on how you're planning on using it. If you want to make a pain cream or salve with it, there are carrier oils that help the cream penetrate your skin although some people like InTheShed (I think) who just use the oil as a salve without going to all the trouble of making a cream. I use either sweet almond oil, pumpkin seed oil or apricot kernel oil as my carrier oil.

If you just want to take capsules for your issue, those work, too. I use sunflower oil for oral use.

I tend to use my cream for breakthrough pain and I take the oil orally 3 times a day to manage my normal day-to-day pain. Anytime that these don't manage the pain, I take a bio-bomb capsule, which was made with coconut oil and concentrated cannabis oil.

Concentrated cannabis oil is also an effective weapon against cancer and it's not as easy to make as the regular oil.

I know it's a lot but there are a lot of people on this website to help. Just ask as many questions as you need to and someone will help.

Good luck.
Thank you HashGirl and good morning ☀️ I did a lot of studying the last couple days and by the time I finally had everything, I was so overwhelmed with all my open browser windows, that I didn't know what to do anymore :)
I am only preparing a smaller amount and in best case, I can use the infused oils for 2 different end products: Edibles (gummies) and a topical creme/salve. My dad suffers from neuropathic pain (lower back discs) and my mom has awful arthritis and unsettled nervous legs. So for the topical oil (and after reading all of Magnus' post), I am choosing grape seed as a carrier and can mix with sweet almond, shea, cocoa, essentials etc. I came across your recipe in Magnus Study hall as well, I will use your recipe as a guideline for the creme/salve. And for the edibles I use fractioned coconut oil.
I did check out the Instant pot method, but I only have a crock pot and it's too large for the quantities I need unfortunately. So I'm following Amys Version in the oven for 6-8hours to infuse, which I will start soon :D
Right now I'm thinking this:
I want 4 containers of creme, each 50ml, so 200ml in total. 100ml of these 200ml would be infused oil, with 1000mg THC in total, each container of 50ml having 250mg THC. The not infused 100ml part I would split between different other oils and shea butter, cacao butter, essential oils. In your recipe @HashGirl you used 8% beeswax and 4% shea butter, are you still happy with those measurements? Calculating dosage for topicals I find a bit hard, it's hard to imagine one portion of creme, a teaspoon, less...? I checked the internet for popular cremes, some of them have only 45mg THC on a 2oz container? This is my plan for this lovely rainy Friday. I'm excited and very thankful :)

one portion of creme, a teaspoon, less...?

1tsp = 5ml. From talking to people that have used my products so far (I interview them extensively! lol), they use 1 to 2ml for localized pain, like a sore knee on a cerebral palsy patient, to a deep hip pain on someone that cleans for a living and has had pain for an entire year. Her mouth was dropping and couldn't believe what was happening when her hip pain disappeared. For another patient that rubs down their arms, legs and torso before bed 1tsp is about right.

This is my plan for this lovely rainy Friday. I'm excited and very thankful

Anxious to find out how it all turned out! :) I'll no longer be using the ethanol extraction and will sell all my equipment I just bought. From now on I'll be making rosin and using that to dissolve into my recipes. I haven't tried the infusion method for multiple reasons, I want the option to get higher dosing down the road (you can only pour in so much oil to cover your flower), and for storage I can store a ton of rosin in a tiny space.

45mg THC on a 2oz container?

Yah, commercial products are often low dose, my butter is 700mg in a 2oz!

Remember, when talking about oils and topicals, and any form of weed really, there are many more cannabinoids in the plant than just the THCA and the CBDA. After reading about the topic for years and experimenting with CBD isolates and THC isolates, and then the full spectrum versions, I've become a firm believer in the Entourage Effect, which suggests that any beneficial effects of the cannabinoids is maximized when they are all taken together. In theory, the cannabinoids interact with each other, making the effects last longer and work more efficiently.

Example: Not sure if anyone has ever eaten mangos, before taking an edible. It will make the effects of the edible just a little bit more intense, but also decrease the time it takes for the THC to take effect. This is because Mangos have a cannabinoid in them, specifically myrcene, which has a beneficial effect to the THC. Other terpenes and cannabinoids have sother beneficial effects.

Point is, there is lots of focus on the THC and the CBD, and the ratios. It is important to consider all of the other beneficial compounds that the plant comes packed with as well.

I like to decarb once I get to the final product. Sure, if I am going to use straight up bud for something, I decarb it in a vacuum oven. However, if my end goal is oil, I like to decarb it at the end, once I have it in the crude form (RSO/CCO). Otherwise, if you decarb it as bud, your filtering process gets more complicated due to the change in compounds that occur during the bud decarbing.

I don't have any great science behind it. But my best guess is that the decarb process for oil is much more efficient when doing it at the last stage before consumption, because you have already filtered out a great deal of garbage through the washing process (you strip the oils, and get rid of the bio material), and then you filter/winterize (which gets rid of fats an lipids). This way, you are spending less time and energy to decarb because there are less compounds in the oil that you need to spend energy absorbing heat. Sounds wacky, but it follows the basic principles of chemistry and distillation: Reduce the whole to its smallest subset of compounds before expending energy.

Note, I decarb just before I stick the RSO/CCO into my short path still. This isn't a choice, its a must. Otherwise, I'd get quite the violent reaction in the SPD when the carbon molecules snap off of the THCA chain, and will wind up with more THCA/CBDA in the final product than I would like. Its under vacuum, so things happen faster, and more intense.

Hate to belabor the point, but the other thing with decarbing buds, is you have to expose the outer layers of the bud to more intense heat to penetrate the inside of the bud. This tends to under decarb the insides of the bud. Or you go longer and risk drying out the outer trichomes (they will burst).

Lastly, when you decarb before filtering out the waxes and lipids, you are removing moisture which makes the oil hard, like a crayon. For those that are getting RSO/CCO that is super hard, this would be why.

I suppose if you get one of these, You could reuse the everclear and have very little waste.
Screenshot_2020-03-06 Distill Wish.jpg

Back
Top Bottom