Oil, my first try

more faith in what Sue has found out on the topical pain relief then what i read.
equal faith! Just lots of reading and discernment. It used to be the dominant thought, and it got written a lot, that CBD wasn’t as effective for pain. It seems this is not so much the thinking/reporting more recently. Personal anecdote: I tested a 7mg/ml (approx) CBD infused almond oil on a pinched nerve the other day and it was effective. I usually use a THC oil for it. I’m yet to do more of my own tests but lots of people say CBD topicals help their pain. My recent pain oil has about 9mg THC and 2-3mg CBD, per ml of oil, and it is a little more potent than my last batch - which had little, if any ,CBD. I’m beginning a process of trying out some different ratios.

ANd like has just been said - the Entourage combination of all cannabinois is where the magic is taking place.

Just wanted to share some useful anecdote on CBD and pain.
Another good morning ☀
I have finished infusing the oil yesterday and it is waiting & resting in the fridge for a couple more hours.
Here is a couple of photos from yesterday and as you can see, I have incorporated a couple of tips from around here ;)
IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1877.JPG

The whole process worked well and easy enough for my clumsy self (besides adding too much sunflower lec. in the coconut oil). I have lost a couple of ml/mg on the way and am now wondering, how to get the last drops of oil out of the small pouches. SweetSue explains her reclaiming here, in the fresh cut oil method I will give this a try now and see how much I get back. Anyone have any other reclaiming ideas?
Thank you lovely people, it is great fun with you. I will share another update with the real end product finished.
Have a happy day, Best
:high-five:

Happy day indeed! So happy to see you finding all the guides you need to jump in and get making.

I’m like Shed in that i prefer a plain oil... nothing between me and the cannabinoids but the carrier! Your process looks great and your oils will only get better and better as you go.

One note - a topical doesn’t require the Liquid sunflower lecithin, that is only required for internal bio-availability.

Nice to meet you steff! :ciao:

One note - a topical doesn’t require the Liquid sunflower lecithin,

Thanks for bringing this up! It's only to be used if mixing oil and water based products together, so I'll leave it out of my topicals from now on since I only use oils.

Thanks for bringing this up! It's only to be used if mixing oil and water based products together, so I'll leave it out of my topicals from now on since I only use oils.
Cool , thanks. Does that mean it is necessary if you’re making a topical product with some water-based ingredients?

Does that mean it is necessary if you’re making a topical product with some water-based ingredients?

Absolutely. If you have no emulsifier the oil and water ingredients will quickly separate in whatever container you store it in. If an oil thickness then you'll see layers develop. If a creme consistency you'll see the edges and surfaces liquefy.

Sue and Cannasavvy said it was useful in topicals

After searching around and reading their thread it's safe to say there's a good chance it helps absorption. Even if the topical is all oil, once it absorbs in the skin and starts to break down and come in contact with water-based human cells the lecithin will assist whatever reactions are taking place at that level. I know multiple people that get high from my topicals... maybe I should send them a jar WITHOUT lecithin and do a quicky speriment :)

I'm a straight oil person, because it rubs in and leaves very little residue behind like salves and creams do. That and I don't want any barriers.

I found fractionated coconut oil too greasy for my tastes and now I go with 50/50 grapeseed and pumpkin seed.

Not sure that's going to be helpful now, but something to consider for next time?

Also, I aim for a minimum of 15mg/ml THC in my topical pain oil.
Thank you @InTheShed, I'm keeping that in the back of my head and in my journal. Pumpkin Seed oil I like with food, couldn't imagine putting that in a cream, but I sure will next time. It might add to the color as well :)
I already did a second batch of oil, this time with my low and slow dried buds from the fridge and the decarbing done while sitting in an oil bath (wanted to test that as well and I have questions about that, still figuring out, where to best ask them). I was aiming at 20mg/ml and I think, I must be close. I smeared the rest of the oil on my neck and only a couple of minutes later a very "warm sigh" followed :) Def. working with more potent oils in the future. I will try to add more butters to my current batch and let my mom and dad try it, see how they like the consistency, after all it's for them. Thank you ☀️

equal faith! Just lots of reading and discernment. It used to be the dominant thought, and it got written a lot, that CBD wasn’t as effective for pain. It seems this is not so much the thinking/reporting more recently. Personal anecdote: I tested a 7mg/ml (approx) CBD infused almond oil on a pinched nerve the other day and it was effective. I usually use a THC oil for it. I’m yet to do more of my own tests but lots of people say CBD topicals help their pain. My recent pain oil has about 9mg THC and 2-3mg CBD, per ml of oil, and it is a little more potent than my last batch - which had little, if any ,CBD. I’m beginning a process of trying out some different ratios.

ANd like has just been said - the Entourage combination of all cannabinois is where the magic is taking place.

Just wanted to share some useful anecdote on CBD and pain.

:high-five:

Happy day indeed! So happy to see you finding all the guides you need to jump in and get making.

I’m like Shed in that i prefer a plain oil... nothing between me and the cannabinoids but the carrier! Your process looks great and your oils will only get better and better as you go.

One note - a topical doesn’t require the Liquid sunflower lecithin, that is only required for internal bio-availability.

Nice to meet you steff! :ciao:

Good morning Amy and nice to meet you too ☀️ I just replied to InTheShed in regards to the oil, if it was for myself, I might also stick with oils only (tested it with as stronger oil and wow ) but I think my mom and dad might feel more comfortable first, with something they know (cream/salve) and they can handle easily on the go without being too oily.

In regards to the infusing the oil in the oven, I have a question for you. After reclaiming some of the oils after straining, I had some water in it with the oil. So I tested an oil bath to steam off the water. All worked well and when all the water was gone, the oil left started bubbling (not cooking), small bubbles, almost looking like there is more decarb going on... Of course I was a bit shocked, since I thought the 7,5hrs must have decarbed all there was. See in this picture, it's bubbling, the foam I guess is from the Sunflower Lecithin that was still in it. Do you think I should treat the rest of my oils with a little oil bath, just to make sure, all is decarbed?
IMG_1897.JPG

Thank you

Hey steff. Did you decarb in the oven first, before infusion? If not, then yes you should keep decab’ing becasue the infusion temperatures are not enough to decarb’ (which is deliberate, we dont want to decarb for that many hours!).

If you did oven decarb first then the bubbles may indicate some residual non-decarb’d material was left. If it’s only a little more, then it’s good either way.

ANything non-decarb‘d will mean THCa is present and apparently that is great in topicals as well.

You definitley want the bulk of it decarb’d tho‘ so if you didn’t do that beforehand, then bubble on! :thumb:

Edit: Ive never used an oil bath or anystovetop method. I’m assuming you;re right that the small bubbles indicate continuing decarb’. Sue is the one with all the stovetop experience. I was happy To rely on oven decarb’, especially when Shed’s lab tests came back showing full decarb’ with little loss :) Now I have a Nova and can’t recommend it more highly. Best piece of oil making kit i own.

Hey steff. Did you decarb in the oven first, before infusion? If not, then yes you should keep decab’ing becasue the infusion temperatures are not enough to decarb’ (which is deliberate, we dont want to decarb for that many hours!).

If you did oven decarb first then the bubbles may indicate some residual non-decarb’d material was left. If it’s only a little more, then it’s good either way.

ANything non-decarb‘d will mean THCa is present and apparently that is great in topicals as well.

You definitley want the bulk of it decarb’d tho‘ so if you didn’t do that beforehand, then bubble on! :thumb:

Edit: Ive never used an oil bath or anystovetop method. I’m assuming you;re right that the small bubbles indicate continuing decarb’. Sue is the one with all the stovetop experience. I was happy To rely on oven decarb’, especially when Shed’s lab tests came back showing full decarb’ with little loss :) Now I have a Nova and can’t recommend it more highly. Best piece of oil making kit i own.
I did decarb in the oven before at 105C for 90 min and half of that for 110C. I guess it wasn't enough and the oil bath did decarb some more. I never saw active decarb happen, so that was a first and I wasn't sure, if that is how decarbing can look :D So I take your reply as a yes, it could be more decarbing. Question answered and curious mind happy.
Thank you :Namaste:

Ok sorry i took the question as an assumed yes :laughtwo: (assuming that you already knew that’s possibly what it was!) Glad we’re all clear about that now :)

TBH I’m not 100% about the bubbles thing in general, like i said Sue has more experience with that process, and I do want to mention that I’ve seen little bubbles form in oil after adding the Liquid lecithin so sometimes i do wonder if that does something.

I also wouldn’t worry too much about a partial (or ”incomplete”) decarb unless you think the resulting oil does not do what you want. It’s all good!

Come to learn that MCT oils are NOT good for digestion. To summarize the words of a chemist in a video explaining the benefits of nanoemulsifying extracts, "MCT oils turn to prefatty acids, which are too small to incorporate THC/CBD properly... they do not shuttle the actives well to the bloodstream".

So no more MCT oil in my future edibles... any of the LCT oils (olive, coconout, etc) and lecithin should do fine!
Hey B420, thanks for this - a friend recently had a bad time with some industry MCT based cannabis oil and felt it was definitely making them sick in the stomach. Even said it felt like a response to the oil itself, not the cannbinoids.

Can you link me to the video where this quote comes from. I’d like to find something a little concrete on it. All teh mainstream info just talks about the benefits of usIng MCTs. I don’t Iike them either and it’d be great to have a few resources to support our use of EV olive oil and full CO as the better options.
:Namaste:

"MCT oils turn to prefatty acids, which are too small to incorporate THC/CBD properly... they do not shuttle the actives well to the bloodstream".
Can you link me to the video where this quote comes from.

He also adds that olive, coconut or similar is the best carrier oil for "shuttling" the active to the blood.

Back
Top Bottom