Oklahomans Weigh In On Making Medical Cannabis Legal

Ron Strider

A long standing debate will head to a vote next year. Will Oklahomans legalize medical cannabis?

Governor Mary Fallin tweeted yesterday that State Question 788, making medical cannabis legal in Oklahoma, will be put on the June or November ballot.

"Definitely needs to be on the ballot," Tulsan Brandon Yeatman said.

"I would vote no," Tulsan Gary Sample said.

Two views, but election day will be the final vote.

"It just makes it easier to live with," Yeatman said.

Activists with Oklahomans for Health cite several studies that prove medical cannabis can help alleviate certain diseases.

Yeatman agrees.

"I have a family friend of mine that has had cerebral palsy his entire life and it has helped him before, helps him through a lot of the pain he goes through," he said.

But Sample says he needs more evidence.

"I have heard it can help people, but again this is not something that I am aware of," he said. "I haven't seen it, I don't know anyone that has used it for medical purposes."

Sample says he's concerned with the problems it could bring to Oklahoma.

"If a person is already dependent on something and then they have an excuse to be on it medically, I think it would cause more problems down the road," he said.

Board member with Oklahomans for Health Aaron Baker and other activists are taking it upon themselves to inform the public about medical cannabis.

"We are more than happy to engage, we know that there are still a few questions to go, there is a lot of support, there's a lot of questions, let's get them answered," Baker said.

He says on top of health benefits, states that have already legalized medical cannabis are seeing positive feedback.

"Getting a boost in funding, jobs are being created and patients are getting the help they need," Baker said.

Oklahomans for Health is holding a public forum on Dec. 7 at 6 p.m. at Central Center at Centennial Park in Tulsa.

Blunt_and_Buds_-_Getty.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Oklahomans weigh in on making medical cannabis legal | KTUL
Author: Amy Jenson
Contact: Tulsa Contact | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KTUL
Photo Credit: Getty

Back
Top Bottom