Old Grower Trying LED's & GSC Autos

Don Smoke

Hi to everyone.
Well like the title says i have been growing for many years but it was 20 years ago last grew with lights indoors, HID's and flood and drain etc.
One thing i learnt then that i see many doing today is concentrating on the next magical product that will give you that super size crop, it took years of growing 200 clones at each grow to work out that none/most of it wasn't really worth the money and often resulted in burned plants or disappointing results....
I know some do great but it is not exactly easy for the normal person and just doesn't really fit for me plus it just adds costs.

I like to keep things simple and as a gardener and farmer, nature can do amazing things in a decent soil...... My profile pic is of an outdoor Jack Herer grown in my own organic soil, thing was almost mendo dope size when finished.

I went to full on soil grows about 20 years ago and only ever had great results with less time spent checking levels etc, watering and a top dressing or a tea made from very old manure as it is high in PK at flowering if they needed it, best smokes i ever had.

So i am now trying a Mars Hydro tsw2000 in a 4x4 tent and after some questions being answered brilliantly by some cool guys like @Reave @Buds Buddy @TysonOG @Pat Puffer @AdaminCO @Enjoil @Mars Hydro on here i think i now have the light dialled in with the help of a PPFD App on my phone.

I am starting this journal a little late into the grow, now at week 4..... will be adding the pics in different postings below so it is easier to follow rather than posting all pics at once.

So my grow setup.

4 Fast Buds GSC seeds
1x Mars Hydro TSW2000 on 18/6
4x4 tent
4 inch inline exhaust with carbon filter
2 oscillating fans
temp/RH meter
Humidifier

Organic Soil mix, i make this myself:

1 bag of general purpose soil
1 bag of similar soil but with sphagnum moss... both at around 5.5-6.5ph
About half a bag of well rotted horse manure from the farm. (also have goat but wasnt aged enough, next grow)
3 large buckets of deep dark soil I collect from under a small pine forest I have, it is well rotted and is like 8 inches deep, this stuff is like black gold!... soft fluffy and full of goodness plus it has lots of white Mycorrhizal fungi growing threw it all.
1 large bucket of charcoal made from burnt olive wood, crushed into small pieces.
Crushed and powdered oyster shell.
Epsom salts
couple shovels of fine granite grit sand i have on our land.
Perlite at about 30-40%

Pots are 3.5 gallon with extra holes drilled into bottom and a thin layer of granite gravel in bottom of the pot to aid drainage.

I mix this early and let it sit for a few weeks, mainly to help the Epsom salts and Oyster shell leach out into the soil and stop hot spots.

Soil tested about 6.5-7 with a decent PH meter, not digital.

Water comes from a natural spring i have here, had it analysed, 6.5 PH and lots of minerals.

The 4 Fast Buds GSC seeds popped on the 10th March.​

I started them a few days before all my equipment arrived and they started well in paper towel and planted directly into their organic soil but they had a few cold days which i think stunted their start in life.

Here they are at 6 days old... two seem to be mutated, no's 1 and 2.

I would love to have your guys input on how the girls are doing and hope to show you all some decent flowers.

Pics @ day6
IMG_20210316_093957.jpg

IMG_20210316_094014.jpg

IMG_20210316_094030.jpg

IMG_20210316_094037.jpg

IMG_20210304_191354.jpg

Last edited:

Don Smoke

A 25 days
Humidity was about 70% temps at around 25-28c Light at about 35% at 35cm.
As you can see 1 and 2 seem to have bounced back and new growth seems fine to me.
Started LST
Only added a root boost at half strength at week 2 and 3 after that only water.

IMG_20210403_095915.jpg

IMG_20210403_095940.jpg

IMG_20210403_100006.jpg

IMG_20210403_100018.jpg

IMG_20210403_100027.jpg

IMG_20210403_100037.jpg

Last edited:

Don Smoke

@ 27 days
RH 55-65%
Temp 26-28c
Light at about 50% @35cm

I have only removed about 4-5 leaves between all the plants, only leaves i could not pin down and that were shading lower bud sights.
The plant seems very compact and short between nodes compared to many other i have been checking out (and Indica dominant :cool:) and am starting to think i am going to loose some weight come harvest, any thoughts guys?

IMG_20210406_090128.jpg

IMG_20210406_090140.jpg

IMG_20210406_090143.jpg

IMG_20210406_090152.jpg

IMG_20210406_090205.jpg

Last edited:

Don Smoke

And here we are yesterday @ day 30

Tent has stayed the same as listed above, i removed my Humidifier at about week 3 and now RH is at about 40-50% temps at around 25-28c.. nights drop about 15c
Light is at about 35cm and now is up to 70% which is about 800PPFD

Would be great to get some feedback as this is my first proper attempt at autos so keeping it simple and only watering when the soil is dry/damp with a finger in the soil.

They started flowering a few days ago !!:thumb:

Am i right in thinking not to remove any leaves now they have been a few days in flower?
All i have and think to be doing is daily tucking of any leaves and slight adjustments to any new growth, just moving slightly to the side to get as much light into all parts of each girl.

Will they grow any more? or just bud production now?

I want to order some new beans in a few days, to star my perpetual grow and was looking at
Barneys farm, Glue Gelato auto fem.
Fast Buds Gorilla cookies auto fem.
And one for my daughter as it is pink, Sweet Seeds Tropicanna Poison F1 Fast fem

Anybody got any good recommendations for short high producing plants to get as much as i can under that light, would like to try and find a good genetics to have the best chance of even growth/height between the plants.

Happy growing!

IMG_20210409_102059.jpg

IMG_20210409_102108.jpg

IMG_20210409_102114.jpg

IMG_20210409_102122.jpg

IMG_20210409_102129.jpg

IMG_20210409_102135.jpg

IMG_20210409_102143.jpg

IMG_20210409_102147.jpg

IMG_20210409_102153.jpg

IMG_20210409_102208.jpg

Last edited:

Don Smoke

Looking good my friend. Try and keep the leaves off the dirt if you can.
I know right, this is the part i need to learn more about Autos, they have been flowering for about 4-6 days, i didnt know if was ok to trim them off or if it will stunt the growth..... I lift them when watering and the soil surface dries pretty quick but agree they should not be on the dirt, just plants were so short when i LST'd them they just layed on the dirt.......... what you think it is ok to trim them off, or is that not good now they are in flower.
Thanks for the reply dude!!

Reave

I don’t have too much experience with autos and those I have grown I just leave alone. I topped my current auto because I didn’t even know it was an auto. Seems to be doing great though. Didn’t mind being topped at all.

I saw a dude on here talking about topping and pruning autos but I do think it was before a certain point in the timeline and I can’t remember his name.
image.jpg

Don Smoke

Well they are small that's for sure!, I don't think these girls are going to produce much but happy with learning about Autos.
I could see some lightening of the leaves and was noticing white tips on the leaves, the general lightening of the leaves looked the start of cal/mag deficiency?
So i have watered with a light dose of epsom salts and molasses a few days ago but noticed it getting worse, i know it will take 4-8 days to see change so only watered once they dried out to about half depth of pot with a meter and finger.
Seems odd as i had added a dusting if epsom to the soil mix, so kept my watering with epsom to a very light dose... the soil should be good for the whole run...
The soil Ph is ok at 6-7 with an analogue style meter that i never had issues with before...... water is spring water, 6.5-7ph... room is good temps and RH.
I am beginging to think the soil might be a little hot in the P K side rather than deficient.
I can see how fragile and less forgiving due to their quick grow times these autos are compared to a life growing with phenos.
Also been a bit worried about taking some leaves as they had flowered by the time i thought i should be starting to remove some..... got to get that timing dialled in..... leaves touching the dirt are fine mold/damp wose so left them and surface of soil dries quick with fans so left them rather than shock the girls too much

Please take a look at the pics and give me any feed back you can as these autos are all new to me, Plant labelled 1 and 2 are the first to show signs..... these pics are at day 33.

I see the post has had many views but not many replies, i could do with some help dudes :thumb:

IMG_20210412_084734.jpg

IMG_20210412_084740.jpg

IMG_20210412_084745.jpg

IMG_20210412_084750.jpg

IMG_20210412_084758.jpg

IMG_20210412_084826.jpg

IMG_20210412_084839.jpg

IMG_20210412_084858.jpg

IMG_20210412_084907.jpg

IMG_20210412_084916.jpg

Last edited:

Don Smoke

It would be great to get some opinions of these plants.
Anyone know how long these normally take as i see many going 10 weeks with them, that gives me some hope these might fill out in that time.

Last night i put 4 new seeds in water, 2 gorilla glue from barneys farm and 2 gorilla cookies from fast buds.

Good growing

Don Smoke

Is it normal that nobody replies, i thought these forums were about helping each other out :rolleyes:

Don't think there is much point being a member here

Anyone know how long these normally take as i see many going 10 weeks with them, that gives me some hope these might fill out in that time.

Last night i put 4 new seeds in water, 2 gorilla glue from barneys farm and 2 gorilla cookies from fast buds.

Good growing
If you mean 10 weeks from now that seems long. Lower leaves look yellow, maybe a soil problem or
nearing end of life?

Growing autos myself, I like the shorter grow times, outdoors I get a early summer crop and a fall crop,
plus they are smaller and less obvious on the patio.

I top by 21 days above the 6th node and LST the top branches as needed. I often get rid of the 1st node.

Mdlroad

Good growing
I've only completed 1 grow but I quickly discovered with autos it takes 8 to 10 weeks in flower. My gorilla glued took 100 days from sprout to harvest. Seed company adds misleading but they do say flowering 8 yo 10 weeks. So I think your girls are fine but I'm still a rookie

Don Smoke

I've only completed 1 grow but I quickly discovered with autos it takes 8 to 10 weeks in flower. My gorilla glued took 100 days from sprout to harvest. Seed company adds misleading but they do say flowering 8 yo 10 weeks. So I think your girls are fine but I'm still a rookie
Thanks for the reply, yes that is what i was getting at, do people think they will take 10 weeks from seed to harvest as i have been reading as much as possible and often see people going much longer, especially with fast budsGSC, which if that is what i will get then i feel a bit happier as if i go by the fast buds site they only got 3 weeks left and look a little small.
i am not a grower who is constantly trying to push the plants i am just trying to learn "Autos" as all my life i have grown phenos.

Don Smoke

If you mean 10 weeks from now that seems long. Lower leaves look yellow, maybe a soil problem or
nearing end of life?

Growing autos myself, I like the shorter grow times, outdoors I get a early summer crop and a fall crop,
plus they are smaller and less obvious on the patio.

I top by 21 days above the 6th node and LST the top branches as needed. I often get rid of the 1st node.
No sorry i meant going to 10 weeks in total.
The leaves started yellowing at around the time they switched to flower and the soil is a good mix which should do them to the end so seemed strange they yellowed but as i am also new to autos i just wanted some advice.
After doing some more reading it could be the soil is a little hot in P and K but not rushing in to do anything so just been watering, i wrote about that when i posted yesterday. Just 2 plants seem a little yellow to me.

Thanks for the reply :thumb:

Reave

It will depend on the breeder how they lost their times. Some say from seed. Some say from
Start of flower. Doesn’t really matter though. Buds bulk up in the last couple weeks. I go by the percentage of amber trichromes which you can view with a 30x - 60x jewelry loop or a magnifier for your camera. I harvest at about 10% amber on the top of the top colas.

Don Smoke

Well here we are at day 42.

What do you guys think so far?..... Think i am getting a magnesium Def if you look at a few of the leaves.
Plants look a little yellow in general to me?

Could it be light burn as i am new to LED's as most tips dont look, to me, like nute burn as they are more yellow on the leaf tips.

IMG_20210423_183055.jpg

IMG_20210423_183121.jpg

IMG_20210423_183135.jpg

IMG_20210423_183139.jpg

IMG_20210423_183208.jpg

IMG_20210423_183214.jpg

IMG_20210423_183220.jpg

Top Bottom