Old hippie

welcome to the boards vintage! We can also use another hippie around here.

Peace and happiness

Mojave Dave said:
Hi all,

I'm one of the original Southern California hippies that congregated in Isla Vista in the early 60's, the small college town next to UCSB (University of California at Santa Barbara). .......
I'm 52 now, but I started young. I did alota my growin up in Palmdale, out in the Mojave. Mentioning Isla Vista sure brought back some memories. I used to run away alot (i lived in palmdale in the 60's so its understandable). On one of my adventures I ended up in Isla Vista in the afternoon of Halloween, don't remember the year. I rembember there was like a little downtown area. Next to a vacant lot was a music store. In the lot there was a tree, maybe more than one. There were little shacks built around the tree and I seem to remember a tree house. Anyway, as evening came on the hippies came out. I was in the music store and in they came "hey bro can we borrow some instruments" they asked. "Sure thing bro" came the reply. So out they went with guitars etc. The lot & street became one huge party. Trash cans were dumped and fires started, the cans becoming drums. It was so much fun beating on those drums. Gimme Shelter had come out not to long before that and I remember everyone kept playing songs off of it. My runaway buddy and myself partied into the wee wee hours, its one of my best memories. We thought about crashing in the tree but were advised against it because we were obviously too young and it would be a bust once the people cleared out. We made our way to some sorta student center where they let us crash on the couch for awhile and we just sat around and smoked listening to some of the best underground radio ever. Eventually they became paranoid about our age and didn't wanna get shut down because of us so we went and slept on the beach. It sure did get cold that night. My buddy took off and I never saw him again, ever. In the morning as I walked back to the area I described earlier a cop stopped me. I gave him a phoney name, he took me to juvie. I never did give them my name. I slept for 3 days and then there were my parents to pick me up. We were headed for the haight but never made it, damn. I also remember that right by the lot were the ruins of the bank of amerika that had been blown up not too long beforehand. Nice to meet ya old hippie :cheesygrinsmiley: I was wonderin if you mighta been around that night?

Wonderfull man!!!
Almost brought a Tear to my eye.

That the connection of humans and free love is dieing, due to a fucked up government..

What I have to say is let fear and negativity aside and live your life how you wanna live it.

peace man

And before that, a beat and before that, from time to time, accused of being a bohemian-hell, I never even been near the place.
I fondly remember when the r.r.car ferries went from SoFla ports to Havana and the crew would sell pocket Prince Albert Tobacco cans of stuff for $5 and then $10. Tickets on these splended craft could be had for $15 from Key West and about $25 from W.P.B. Man! Was the regular population ever tight-assed back then. It was jazz that led me into the light.
I'm back after taking a 25 year break to kick my Booze problem.

Dave,
Like you I found communal life very rewarding. I was involved with the communes at a very early age. My father dumped me into one in Fla. I was also involved with other communes in NY, Arkansas, New Mexico and a couple of urban communes in Virginia.
I do my best to carry on the ideals I learned.
rik

If anyone's actually interrested in communal living, you can still do it, but you won't find that sort of thing down in cali any more. There are plently of communes around and more get started all the time, only now they're called "Off the Grid" because they're not on the electric grid. You can find a bunch of them up in Maine, peaceful people living their lives in wooded areas. You stumble on them all the time if you go driving around the back woods. They tend to have signs up proadly declaring their status as the power lines stop as their street starts, and they trend to have a shop or two that sells hand made things for a bit of cash.
I can understand the enjoyment of this life style and am a bit of a marxist myself, but it's not really my thing, I like not having to chop wood, but hey, power to ya if you want to do it.

HH,
Yeah, the communal scene started changing around 73-74 because people started being tight asses and the cops (nixon) started to hassle us. So I left. I would rather be homeless (which I was) then start up with another commune. Two of my favorites were in Arkansas and the Sunny Buffalo in New Mexico. I do miss the experience however as there was always (for the most part) peace and love.
rik

You must have some real chill stories. Did the good times out way the bad though?

HitchHiker,

Living on the farms was real good and ideal. The urban communes were a lot tougher because there just wasn't much to do.
rik

wow.. high school in Huntington beach Ca.. we grew up with surfing, pot and Duke Kahanamoku ALOHA.. lines@Gordies.. times were wild.. luv ins.. orange tabs @Majestic Canyon:peace: , the brotherhood in Laguna Mystic Arts, acid in viles, Canned Heat,:tommy: I worked at the Golden Bear, Lenny Brucemas, Janis Big Brother and the Holding Co:cool: .. woodies,sangria and lots of boards.:adore:

I did alota my growin up in Palmdale, out in the Mojave. Mentioning Isla Vista sure brought back some memories. I used to run away alot (i lived in palmdale in the 60's so its understandable).

-NEWS HAWK

Neat-oo.. know exactly where you are talking about. Lived in the Stinking Desert myself for some 20 years.. saw it grow. Haven't been back in a few years. They call Palmdale "Palm-ton", yes as in Compton.. gotten quite violent.. senseless shit.

I'm 55 now and think about the old days but wouldn't trade these days for anything! This moment.. for anything. :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

Yeah, bad memories. I ran away too. A sorry place it has become. In the Bay Area now and have been back but once to finalize a divorce. Sure glad I had my kids "brought up" in time to miss this new "era" in Palmton. They schooled in Quartz Hill and moved on to respective UCs and onward.. they never went back ether. They got out years before I did.. I'm a slow learner.

So once again, you're Mr. User, the News Hawk? Is that the long story. I know you, we've interacted before, have we not? Whatever the case, nice gabbing with you.. again.

:cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

P.S.: Captain Beefhart, (Trout Mask Replica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) lived in the area till the mid 80's. In Trinity County up North here now. There's an old album photo of Frank Zappa (went to high school there) and him in the old Tastee Freeze on Sierra Hwy down by Lancaster. Fuckin nutty guy. The Antelope Valley's only claim to fame in my book..:laughtwo:

zappa went to antelope valley high in lancaster
i went to paldale h.s. when i bothered to show up. my dad worked in aerospace there. grew up with those guys with the right stuff flying overhead. boom, booooom all day long. i loved the quartz hill area when the poppies bloomed. gold as far as the eye can see. did a buncha fishin' in the aquaduct. caught some biggg channel cats out by lake elizabeth. i guess there were some good times now that i think of it. had some fun at littlerock damn. i don't even like driving through the desert anymore.

Yeah, Lancaster High. I'm sure it was neat place to grow up. My kids sure liked it till they discovered the rest of the world. When I was there it was the Shuttle that used to land at Edwards and fly piggy-backed on a 74 returning to Florida's Cape Canaveral, the SR-71 Blackbird and the B-2 stealth bombers from the Reagan era. Just the last ten years have seen too many changes. Last place I lived, on top of a hill looking down on Lake Elizabeth. Little Rock damn.. sure. Nice spots for sure. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom