Old newbie to grow again

StrawBaler

Hello. After being out of the cannabis market for over 20+ years, I'm at the age now, I'm comfortable getting back in the cannabis scene. I'm 60 yrs old, kids grown and gone a long time ago and now my wife and I are facing some medical issues that cannabis will help with. I started smoking pot when I was 12(yea, that long ago) and stopped when I was about 40 when my oldest was about 15.
So in these past years, I've been gardening. This past year I began Straw Bale gardening. I was actually very surprised at the yield from this and I plan on continuing this gardening method. My tomatoes, peppers, and squash were terrific, both in size and numbers. Plus a much better taste.
I'm hoping to grow Northern Lights indoors soon. I have the perfect closet for this. About a 10x5, downstairs in the heated/cooled basement. I do plan on purchasing more lights, I have 1 4ft double flourescent shop light plus a reflective, round, shop light. I realize I need much more lighting. As well as a small heater, humidifier and fan. I plan on lining the walls with aluminum foil for reflection.
I hoping some old growers will chime in and advise about the straw bale. Basically with the bales, first ten days, water the heck out of them. They will slowly start to break down. After 10 day, put a cheap, 10-10-10 fertilizer on the tops, water again for another 10 days. This will break down more. The interior bale temperature will be pretty high so you have to wait until that temp drops down to about 80-90 degrees before you're ready to plant. Then you top off the bales with about 1-2 inches of top soil or Miracle Grow soil or any cheap bagged soil. Now, you're ready to plant. You have to water every day. This method, the bales degrade into basically mulch. But with better nutrients.
Would this be a good medium to grow in or should I go with the old school way. Dirt/soil, fertilizer, water and light?
You comments, suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to learning, again, the fine art of cannabis. ;)
Thanks

Sounds interesting, same as whether or not anyone has tried that method with straw bales will be interesting to see. Never heard of that before, but then I'm new to all this. Have you done it indoors before? As wonder if the methane of it breaking down would build up and be an issue in an enclosed space.

Ya know, I havent thought about that. I was going to leave it outside, for watering, fertilizing and soiling, then bring it inside when to plant. But it still breaks down further during the growing season. I'll have to check with the Straw Bale guys on FB about that issue. Thanks for the thought. :)

Thanks, Freak. What I failed to include is I have about 15, what's left of, the bales I used to go my 'maters with now. They are basically compost now. I could put all this in a bucket and try this as a medium. What do you think?

Thanks, Freak. What I failed to include is I have about 15, what's left of, the bales I used to go my 'maters with now. They are basically compost now. I could put all this in a bucket and try this as a medium. What do you think?

That sounds great! These plants we love do want to grow. I really think you'd have success :)

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom