Old News is Good News

newsisnoise

as of right now, i have 10 - 18" ice clones in beer bups. they will be topped back to 9"-10" and the tops taken as clones for a second round of outdoors. in addition, i have 17 more 4"-6" clones and 1 - 16" clone that have not been planted in cups yet. this weekend they will be transplanted and set down with the other ones. in the end i'm figuring i will get 27 plants for sure and up to 38 total. i've decided on slow release fertilizer, coco, perlite and vermiculite for reach plot. and each plant will go in a 3' deep x 3' wide hole.

here's some pics of what i'm talking about...

vice_clones_2.JPG

the beer cups 9 of the 18" clones.
IMG_14295.JPG

the cuttings in the tray are also rooted now and ready to be transplanted (updated pics sometime this week)

and this is what i was thinking for the planting.. like the diagram?
untitled58.jpg

Here is a short list of common organic fertilizers, NPK values and how much to use per sq ft of garden.

FERT - (N-P-K) - Type - Use

Alfalfa Pellets (3-1-2) avg release 40g/sq ft
Corn Gluten (6-0-0) avg release 15g/sq ft
Compost (1-1-1) slow release 125g/sq ft
Bird guano (10-3-1 variable) fast release 25g/sq ft
Cow manure (2-0-0 variable) avg release 60g/sq ft
Horse manure (5-2.5-6 variable) avg release 20g/sq ft
Soybean meal (6-1.5-2) avg release 20g/sq ft
Worm castings (1-0-0) slow release 150g/sq ft
Kelp (1-0.2-2) fast release 15g/sq ft
Insect manure (4-3-2) fast release 35g/sq ft
Fish emulsion (5-2-2 liquid) fast release 1ml/sq ft
Cottonseed meal (6-2-2) avg release 20g/sq ft
Bone meal (2-11-0) slow release 25g/sq ft
Blood meal (12-0-0) fast release 10g/sq ft

i came across this today and was reading it i like (and hope they're accurate) the layout as it lets me choose. i wanna stay away from anything that would attract dear, badgers, fox, coyote, cougar, stray and farm pets..

i'm thinking of using the blue-highlighted nutrients

Hi News,

Looks like an ambitious garden you're starting there. Tell me, are you layering the soil amendments in the holes or mixing it? What grade of soil (the ground, not your additives you're putting in the hole) are you working in? This will be what ultimately tells you what you should be using IN your holes.

Wishing you the best,
Irish

as of right now, i have 10 - 18" ice clones in beer bups. they will be topped back to 9"-10" and the tops taken as clones for a second round of outdoors. in addition, i have 17 more 4"-6" clones and 1 - 16" clone that have not been planted in cups yet. this weekend they will be transplanted and set down with the other ones. in the end i'm figuring i will get 27 plants for sure and up to 38 total. i've decided on slow release fertilizer, coco, perlite and vermiculite for reach plot. and each plant will go in a 3' deep x 3' wide hole.

here's some pics of what i'm talking about...

vice_clones_2.JPG

the beer cups 9 of the 18" clones.
IMG_14295.JPG

the cuttings in the tray are also rooted now and ready to be transplanted (updated pics sometime this week)

and this is what i was thinking for the planting.. like the diagram?
untitled58.jpg
looks like Rainbow Kush.
Im also doing an outdoor grow and this is my 1st serious attempt.
I assum you intend to layer the nutes...nice in theory but I dont think it will work out that way. I could be wrong.
I had a fellow member is a long time outdoor grower and I took his instructions to prepare a 3x3 hole and amend it with some things....the food is in there...I will have to top dress them later in bloom but thats about it.

hey irish. the soil is sandy loam - silty loam. it's very rich as the area i'm planting used to be a flood plain. the grass and trees grow like crazy there. it does need more drainage, but that i can accomplish with perlite and vermiculite. im not sure what sort of nutrients will be in the soil and at what levels, so i wanna stay organic to prevent burning.

Rainbow kush you say? i wish. haha. sticking with the Ice this year. and if things go well, i've got 6 varieties to do next year.

essential a 3x3 round hole with layering of the nutes. i figured late bloom at the bottom. then early bloom in the middle. then a little veg nutes closer to the top around then root ball.

thanks for the posts guys. i hope i figure this out quick. end of may looks like it'll be planting time.

looks like Rainbow Kush.
Im also doing an outdoor grow and this is my 1st serious attempt.
I assum you intend to layer the nutes...nice in theory but I dont think it will work out that way. I could be wrong.
I had a fellow member is a long time outdoor grower and I took his instructions to prepare a 3x3 hole and amend it with some things....the food is in there...I will have to top dress them later in bloom but thats about it.

Hey Pit! *hugs* You're stepping out of the grow room and into the fresh air this year? GREAT! Welcome to the wonders of the outdoor world!

Yeah, layering the nutes/amendments doesn't work out so well in a fresh hole. For that to work, you have to prepare your holes in the fall for spring planting, digging it out and refilling with same (and possibly amending again if it's not loose/crumbly enough). Everyone realize, that it is not just the soil/amendments/nutes that make the perfect hole. It is also worms and the right bacteria that establishes the perfect balance for a killer garden, and the soil around the hole is just as important to nurture as the holes themselves....

Great thread. I'm really enjoying this read. I have a friend who's gonna put one of my plants outside. It'll be the first time in 20 years I've had a plant outside.

I think Irish is going to be a treasure trove of info.

Big props to you News. I love what you're trying. I have to agree with the others, however that the layering like that might be real tricky. You're pretty much counting on the roots to cooperate, and the nutes not to leach up or down.

I have no advice to offer - just here to learn and offer encouragement!

So + Reps to get the ball rolling!

:thumb::peacetwo:

thanks papa.

hmmm. i'm gonna have to figure something out.. i'm trying to avoid going to see the girls as much as possible. there will be one or two (Yin-Yang) that i will be paying lots of attention to. but i wanna be as hands off, as i'm planting guerilla stylie.

you're right about irish too. a walking-typing outdoor grow library. haha

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Sending you lots of positive energy through the Universe.

Back
Top Bottom